cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Musty Sheets

mbowie1034
Explorer
Explorer
We had left all our sheets stored in the camper while we were off the road and now they all have a musty smell that won't wash out! Any tips or experience in getting rid of this odor in sheets and blankets? They've been washed twice and still smell!
17 REPLIES 17

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
I posed this question to my son who owns laundry and dry cleaning businesses, and as you can imagine they get some pretty gnarly items. Of course he has access to commercial products, but to reinforce what others have already suggested; a cup of white vinegar added to the rinse cycle works wonders and is a cheaper alternative to the high dollar products out there.
Times fun when you're having flies!

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
HOT water and some vinegar works for me to clear any odors.

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Water has to be at a 'boiling point' to kill bacteria or fungus.

138 degrees Fahrenheit, actually. Quite obtainable from a residential water heater.

Bruce

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbowie1034 wrote:
We had left all our sheets stored in the camper while we were off the road and now they all have a musty smell that won't wash out! Any tips or experience in getting rid of this odor in sheets and blankets? They've been washed twice and still smell!

Wash them with some Oxyclean in the wash cycle. If you don't have any (you should), try a cup and a half to two cups of white vinegar. (Walmart sells concentrated cleaning vinegar...use a cup of that.)
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have our stored in the bed storage and the top portion is outside the motorhome in the slide. There is a problem with condensation in cold weather and if I don't keep Damp Rid containers in the storage area, our things smell musty also. I now keep one in each of our closets also.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Wash them and add 20 Mule Team Borax to wash to eliminate odor.

https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/uses

Great stuff to use but sooo hard for me to find it in my area:(.

Oh and thank you for articulating about some of the myths of hot water.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how dw is washing, with or without hot water but we will use the suggestions given.

I haven't used hot water to wash clothes in years. It's just a waste of energy to heat the hot water.

Hot water does NOT contribute a darn thing towards cleaning and/or odors. Odors come from bacteria, and/or fungus.

Water has to be at a 'boiling point' to kill bacteria or fungus.

Our hot tap water is NOT set at the boiling point! :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

mbowie1034
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the replies. Not sure how dw is washing, with or without hot water but we will use the suggestions given. Thanks again.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Wash them and add 20 Mule Team Borax to wash to eliminate odor.

https://www.20muleteamlaundry.com/uses

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Sillybugs2
Explorer
Explorer
White vinegar in the wash. I put in bleach place and softener spot. Helps get musty smell out.
2016 Hideout 28BHSWE
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT 6.7L diesel 6 speed auto SRW longbed

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use straight white vinegar in your wash as a deodorizer. I put one cup in with all my loads of towels and sheets. It has worked very well for me in getting rid of musty odors when damp things have been left to sit for too long...

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Wash in HOT water with no soap just baking powder to get rid of musty smell
Then dry and let then cool completely down before folding/storing

I believe you meant baking SODA, (rather than the powder which comes in small cans to make your biscuits rise, Old Biscuit!)

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fabreeze perhaps?

...or.. next time you have a campfire, hang the sheets on a clothes line down wind of it... it will give a more authentic camping feeling to the sleeping. ๐Ÿ™‚
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry but not washing sheets in hot water has little to do with a musty smell.

The sun idea is a great idea as is adding baking soda to the wash cycle or vinegar to the first rinse cycle as they are both natural deodorizers.