cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My advice to the good people of FL

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an RV, pack up and get out NOW. Head north now!

No, don't wait. Pack your computers and pictures and family stuff and hit the road Jack.

You have early warning so use it please! It could save your life!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln
27 REPLIES 27

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Tesla did an over the air enable of all Florida registered S60's so they would have the range of an S75. An extra 40 miles of range might be handy for some. Kinda cool. Looking at the Plugshare app most of the DCFC charge facilities are available in the State right now. That is bound to change as places loose power.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find it kinda weird that someone from California is worried about and giving advice to Floridians . I would have thought that with your fires and earthquakes possibilities you might welcome a hurricane !

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
TragedyTrousers wrote:

Easy pleasy: It's coming from the south so go north. It's only a 7 hour drive from Miami all the way to Tallahassee. /quote
That's hilarious.

Why? :h That post was made on Tuesday. No traffic and stations had fuel.

outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am sitting here in Tallahassee , lots of RVs around waiting to see which way to go ! Right now going west seems the better option . Predictions from weather service change every hour or so .
Bunch of scared people out there who seem to think this thang is aimed right at them . In seventy four years I have seen quite a few of these storms , moving 30 or 40 miles can make a big difference . The storms actually move pretty slowly , 15 MPH is common .

TragedyTrousers
Explorer
Explorer

Easy pleasy: It's coming from the south so go north. It's only a 7 hour drive from Miami all the way to Tallahassee. /quote
That's hilarious.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Well I hope my friends that live in Fl took my advice on Tues and got out of Dodge.

If you didn't take my advice; good luck and I wish you and your family the best and it comes out all right for you.

outside the fire"

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Carlos & Ranae wrote:
We are in Orlando. Survived four hurricanes in 04. Our only concern is our fifthwheeler which is in storage at TT. Let's hope for the best for all those who are going to be affected.

Did you survive those hurricanes without having to cover your windows?

Too late for me to get plywood up over windows, all the plywood is gone from the stores within a 60 miles radius. Not ashamed to raise my hand and so I am very concerned.

I hope my MH makes it too. This will be the first time I haven't taken cover far away in another state IN the MH, so sadly she's parked outside in the elements.

We were in Lakeland between Tampa & Orlando and survived just fine without boarding up anything. We only lost power for 2 days during Hurricane Frances. We didn't have a MH in 2004, so don't know how that will fare. We are in covered (not inside) storage lined up with a lot of other MHs. We, in central FL, just hunker down, batten down, and endure.

Stay safe FL.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

westend
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Carlos & Ranae wrote:
We are in Orlando. Survived four hurricanes in 04. Our only concern is our fifthwheeler which is in storage at TT. Let's hope for the best for all those who are going to be affected.

Too late for me to get plywood up over windows, all the plywood is gone from the stores within a 60 miles radius. Not ashamed to raise my hand and so I am very concerned.

I hope my MH makes it too. This will be the first time I haven't taken cover far away in another state IN the MH, so sadly she's parked outside in the elements.

Boards will cover windows, too. Just an idea.
If the wind was going to hit 100 mph, and no plywood, I'd tape the heck out of the windows. Broken glass is misery.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Carlos & Ranae wrote:

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
It's only a 7 hour drive from Miami all the way to Tallahassee. Just hang out there and have a mini vacation until you know where it's going.

LOL, it would take the best day possible and excessive speeding to get to Tally from Miami in 7 hours :W Now add in the crazy northbound traffic we're already seeing and that just makes it worse. Woops, a few accidents, backed up toll booth lanes (no fee but you still have to slow down), a little rainstorm, and a few slow-poke drivers...would make this an all day affair. And come on, Tally is no place for a vacay LOL. No poking here, just trying to inject a little a humor in a generally humor-less situation.

BTW, if I was traveling north from the SE or SW areas, I'd seek alternate routes besides the turnpike or I-75. Folks often forget about the sleepy Suncoast Parkway along the west coast corridor. Pick it up north of Tampa and enjoy a leisurely cruise.

We'll be staying put, insulated in the middle of the state. It'll get windy and we'll probably lose some trees. We'll move the 5er and big boat to a tree-less area, gas up the generator and pray for the best. The current track has it pointed directly up the middle of the state, but I'm hopeful it turns back to the sea and goes away. We'll probably lose power for a few days, but as long as there's no damage to the 5er, we'll camp out in there after the storm passes because it will be more comfortable with generator power than the house will be. Plug up the outdoor freezers and shop fridge to the generator too, and we should be good to go until power is restored.

But if I lived along the SE or SW coast in a questionable home, I'd be GONE!
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
mooky stinks wrote:
JAXFL wrote:
Have you ever seen 750,000,000 people trying to leave Florida? It don't happen even in 2 weeks... I95 and I75 look like parking lots from Florida line to Atlanta ... And gas is short supplied.

I believe your numbers are just slightly off!:h

I don't know, The last traffic jam I was in down there, it sure felt like there were 750 mil people all around me !

This is what I am talking about... Been here 27 years and have tried to leave during a couple of them and had no real luck... this last one it took more than 4 hours to go 16 miles, so turned around and came back home, took 20 minutes. On one of them took the back roads, that was even crazier... took 9 hours to get to Tampa and that was 2 days before it was due. Yesterday a friend that lives in GA sent pictures of I75 just above the Florida line...solid traffic bumper to bumper and lets not talk about finding gas with 750 million people on the same roads.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I just saw on the news, the Navy is evacuating 5000 people from the Key West Naval Air Station.
It sounds like it could get nasty.

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the Panhandle about 100 mi to Tally and 100 miles from Pensacola and are watching but not to worried about things now, usually the things miss us or we just get the way outer fringes, I am exercising my Gen. just in case we lose power for any length of time. At the present they do not know what it is going to
do so all we can do is wait and see.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just read a post awhile ago from someone that lives in FL that they have suspended all tolls which will allow for better traffic movement.