Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mysteries of RV design

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Have fun posting your mysteries...

I’ll start - my circa 2018 truck camper has a fancy stainless steel microwave/range vent/range light unit. The range vent lid must be opened and closed by moving 2 little plastic tits from the outside, while holding the lid closed. It is about 10 foot off the ground when the camper is on the truck.

My 1989 Fleetwood trailer had a vent hood that was opened and closed by a control from inside.
29 REPLIES 29

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another generator start switch by the door would be helpful for me. And thankfully my kids are older so the TV hidden 40% by the slideout when in would be an issue. Also, I don't think the people that designed my dash board have ever driven a car. All my switches are almost at floor level. The radio is near impassible to reach while driving. And you have to move your head to far to look at the rear view monitor. I'm taking care of all that this winter. My winter project is to make a new center stack and floor console. Stationary we love the coach!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have added 5 12 volt outlets to my TT. One right next to the door mounted through the side of a cabinet, one above each seat of the dinette, and one in each of the outside access doors. They really come in handy for charging phones, plugging in my 12 volt compressor, etc.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
I added two 12v outlets and will add a third one. The water pump switch was/is on the dash. I added one on the edge of the cabinet over the sink and another one in the bathroom where it can be reached while sitting down.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
4x4van wrote:
On my '04 Itasca, the range hood & light are built in to the underside of the microwave...and they are 120VAC. So unless I have hookups or use the generator, I have no light/fan over my LPG stove! :S

Huuuuh ... those are 12V on my 2005 Itasca ... just like the rest of the lights and fans in it!!

The separate range hood is 12V. The ones built into the microwave are 120V.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
noteven wrote:
Have fun posting your mysteries...

I’ll start - my circa 2018 truck camper has a fancy stainless steel microwave/range vent/range light unit. The range vent lid must be opened and closed by moving 2 little plastic tits from the outside, while holding the lid closed. It is about 10 foot off the ground when the camper is on the truck.

My 1989 Fleetwood trailer had a vent hood that was opened and closed by a control from inside.

My Palomino TC is the same. I use a broom handle to open and close the tabs whenever we use the vent fan, which is not often because we cook outside 95% of the time.

Lakeside

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4van wrote:
On my '04 Itasca, the range hood & light are built in to the underside of the microwave...and they are 120VAC. So unless I have hookups or use the generator, I have no light/fan over my LPG stove! :S

Huuuuh ... those are 12V on my 2005 Itasca ... just like the rest of the lights and fans in it!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Jayco has the awning switch upstairs on the far side of the dresser.
Having faith is Jayco I figured there had to be one somewhere in the front storage area as well. There may be one but I can't find it if there is. I need to just run wires and put a switch in myself but I haven't done it for 6 years. The awning can't tilt to drain so we never leave it out and it's so high off the ground you can't reach it to hang lights or whatever.
Puma 30RKSS

4x4van
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
Since so many rechargeable devices are around today, why aren't there more 12V or USB ports in RVs? The only 12V outlets are at the TV hookups.
AGREED! Mine had one 12v plug on the dash, and one next to the passenger seat. Nowhere else in this 30' RV did they add a 12v outlet. Of course there are tons of 120VAC outlets throughout...only problem is we spend 80% of our time boondocking.

I added 3 double-USB ports (1 on dash, 2 in bedroom). Silly part is that even when we camp with hookups, I have only ever used 1 120VAC outlet, for the coffee maker.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

jseyfert3
Explorer
Explorer
That's a good idea. Our camper has one cigarette ligter outlet and two USB outlets, but they are all tucked behind the TV and not easily reached. I should add more outlets while I'm upgrading our batteries.
Formerly a 2015 Rockwood Mini Lite 2306, burned in a barn fire. Looking at replacements.

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
Since so many rechargeable devices are around today, why aren't there more 12V or USB ports in RVs? The only 12V outlets are at the TV hookups.

I was about to say the same thing. Pretty sure my phone charger isn't going to drain down both RV batteries very quickly, so why not have a plug or two that it will work on without running the generator or being hooked up?
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
You guys do realize the people who design RVs have never been camping and never use their product....
I would say that's a good bet.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jayco25E wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Our former travel trailer had this too. Besides being a pain in the neck to open/close it, any time the wind blew or any trailer movement whatsoever happened, a distinctive "tink tink tink" could be heard. Our current 5th wheel doesn't have an outside vent. Just a vent hood and filter. I don't miss the "tink tink tink" noise but no vent at all isn't the best thing either.

I had to laugh when you wrote "tink tink tink" LOL. Have to listen to the "tink tink tink" all the time.

I fixed our tink tink tink some time ago but I had mischaracterized it as tap tap tap. 😉

Scroll down below the water pump switch install:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24397265.cfm

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
You guys do realize the people who design RVs have never been camping and never use their product....
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253