Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

National Park Closures due to Shutdown

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
We decided to stay home for the winter.

But those of you heading West to California, Yosemite, Sequoia, Kings Canyon, Joshua Tree National Parks have announced closures due to pile of uncollected garbage that volunteers cannot anymore cope up and handle.

Other National Parks are due to follow if the shutdown is not resolved.
35 REPLIES 35

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm kinda nibbling the bait. Right now, turning the TV on is not the answer. Hey, I have a couple of poles set up for creek fishing, and the sun's shining.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
aftermath wrote:
Joshua Tree is not open. The highway that runs through it is open. A couple of years ago we were on our way home from New Mexico and wanted to hit Death Valley and Yosemite. We found out that, because a state highway went through Death Valley they could not shut the highway down. We went and noticed that the campgrounds were all closed but we got to see the valley and that was good enough for us. Yosemite was different. It was completely closed. Opened a couple of days later when we got home.

Made an error in my earlier post and want to correct it. Cummins made a good point about the roads into Joshua Tree. My statement was how they did it in 2013 when they shut down the government. They actually did shut everything down, including all the parks. The only ones they left "open" were those that had major highways going through them, highway 190 through Death Valley is an example.

This time, in an effort to not put people out, they left them open but removed the staffing. This is causing the very predictable outcomes that have been reported here. I am not in favor of shutting down the government but if they choose to go that route, they need to shut everything down. We have become a coddled society and don't like to deal with hardships. This is serious business. Close them up and perhaps more will get involved in putting pressure on our representatives.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

roadrat2
Explorer
Explorer
Is 3 deaths the same, higher, or lower amount than usual for this time frame?
The report I read said a 14yo fell from a 700' cliff, a man slid down a stone slope, and most sad,a tree fell on a woman. The report doesn't mention if having the parks staffed would have prevented any of these(possibly the first 2 were 'out of bounds'?).
Based on the other issues, it certainly makes sense to just close the parks...clearly we as a society can't be trusted to act responsibly. They should have known.
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT25SB
2006 F-350 6.0L

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
News reports of 3 death on National Parks during the shutdown.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
folivier wrote:
But the question begs for an answer: if people are aware of the shutdown why are they leaving their garbage to pile up? Take it home with you! Do your part to help.

Because people are pigs and feel entitled to leave their garbage for someone else to clean up?

The old syndrome โ€œTradegy of the Commonsโ€. The average person uses and abuses !
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
2edgesword wrote:
It would be nice to think that people who are camping would be more concerned than the general population with respect to keeping the environment as clean as possible. But given what I've read so far I have to agree it probably would have been better to keep them closed if the personnel were not in place to properly maintain them.

I would suspect those are tourists day trippers.

Campers has this basic values of loving nature and outdoors to trash it. And would at least know how to make cat holes should the need arises.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
It would be nice to think that people who are camping would be more concerned than the general population with respect to keeping the environment as clean as possible. But given what I've read so far I have to agree it probably would have been better to keep them closed if the personnel were not in place to properly maintain them.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
Closing them completely obviously makes the most sense and is what has happened in the past. You can Google if you want to understand why it was different this time. FWIW, I've tried to make this post informative rather than political....

Nothing political intended. Point being it always seems like a few wreck it for most of us. I doubt, but could be wrong, that the majority of visitors are trashing the place. I would hope not anyway.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
Closing them completely obviously makes the most sense and is what has happened in the past. You can Google if you want to understand why it was different this time. FWIW, I've tried to make this post informative rather than political....

I agree. Closing them earlier would have been a better alternative except park management thought the shutdown will be brief and volunteers can be a stop gap until they also got overwhelmed.

And thank you for making it apolitical although I know we are all seething inside with this stupid situation.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to me that instead of leaving them open without services that just flat out closing the gate would solve all the issues.

Saw a news story this morning about Yosemite. No employees to manage anything. Sewers were overflowing, trash all over.
Just close the doors and no issues. Sometimes the majority gets the shaft from the minority. It's been like that for years.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yosemite Sam1 wrote:
I love our national and state parks. Visiting and staying in them is almost an spiritual experience.

Trashing them is to me equivalent to violating the sanctity of these places and disrespecting our national patrimony.

I seen places in 3rd world countries where they live in their own thoughtlessly thrown trash and filthy habits. And to me this is almost equivalent, as this is their bigger and extended community that they enjoy and where their next of generation will unwind, recreate, enjoy and refresh.
I thought the same thing. Absolutely no pesonal responsibility. Some one else's job to pick up after them, kind of sad.

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
I love our national and state parks. Visiting and staying in them is almost an spiritual experience.

Trashing them is to me equivalent to violating the sanctity of these places and disrespecting our national patrimony.

I seen places in 3rd world countries where they live in their own thoughtlessly thrown trash and filthy habits. And to me this is almost equivalent, as this is their bigger and extended community that they enjoy and where their next of generation will unwind, recreate, enjoy and refresh.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Joshua Tree is not open. The highway that runs through it is open."

I see nothing but road names on every road start to finish, nothing mentioning a Highway???
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD