29 REPLIES 29

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
willald wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
willald wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.

Ummm....Yes, there is a huge difference.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.

Roflmao.
Thatโ€™s the funniest thing Iโ€™ve heard today. And itโ€™s been a bad day, so thanks for the laugh!
FYI, I wadded up a class A body and interior and packed it into a 20cy rolloff. Whole thing from the frame and drivetrain up, with a little cat 304 mini exc in about 4 hours. And occupant restraint is abysmal compared to passenger vehicles in most class As and Cs as well.
I hope you were being sarcastic and not seriousโ€ฆ

...And I hope you realize you are making a serious 'straw man' argument here, by suggesting I said something that I did not, and proceeding to refute it.

Please read what I said again. I said very clearly, that you are indeed safer in a pickup truck than a Motorhome. No doubt a passenger car would be even safer in many ways. No argument there whatsoever.

The only thing I was taking issue with was the assertion that traveling in a class A was the same as traveling inside an RV trailer. That is all.

Yes, I'm sure you could wad up a totalled Class A body and interior pretty quickly and easily into a 20cy rolloff. However, keeping with the comparison we should here: I bet you could also wad up a totalled RV trailer into something even smaller, and even quicker.

Putting words in my mouth! I did NOT say they were the "same" as each other. I said "Not much difference". Anyone understanding the English language will not think that I said they were the same.

But hey your snarky reply was just a bit of free humor on the "RV.NET".

You said....."Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely"

Thanks!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
willald wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Not much difference running around in a MotorHome while flying down the Highway.

Look at the chassis a Motorhome is built on, and compare it to the chassis RV trailers are built on. Notice also how much higher up the occupants of a Motorhome sit, vs a trailer. Notice also how much heavier a Motorhome is than a typical RV trailer.

I won't argue that overall, you are a little safer in a pickup truck towing an RV trailer than in a Motorhome. However, to suggest that riding in an RV trailer with its flimsy, low to the ground chassis is not much different than riding in a Motorhome built on a heavy duty diesel pusher chassis or Ford F53 heavy duty truck chassis.....Wellll, is just plain wrong, to put it nicely.

To put it "nicely" you are not going to come out well in a major crash in either.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
willald wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Roflmao.
Thatโ€™s the funniest thing Iโ€™ve heard today. And itโ€™s been a bad day, so thanks for the laugh!
FYI, I wadded up a class A body and interior and packed it into a 20cy rolloff. Whole thing from the frame and drivetrain up, with a little cat 304 mini exc in about 4 hours. And occupant restraint is abysmal compared to passenger vehicles in most class As and Cs as well.

...And I hope you realize you are making a serious 'straw man' argument here, by suggesting I said something that I did not, and proceeding to refute it.

Please read what I said again. I said very clearly, that you are indeed safer in a pickup truck than a Motorhome. No doubt a passenger car would be even safer in many ways. No argument there whatsoever.

The only thing I was taking issue with was the assertion that traveling in a class A was the same as traveling inside an RV trailer. That is all.

Yes, I'm sure you could wad up a totalled Class A body and interior pretty quickly and easily into a 20cy rolloff. However, keeping with the comparison we should here: I bet you could also wad up a totalled RV trailer into something even smaller, and even quicker.
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
willald wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Roflmao.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
You do what you want, and I'll do what I want, and we'll both be happy.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
You're probably more likely to be injured riding in a motor vehicle than riding in a trailer. Lots and lots of motor vehicle accidents, trailer accidents, not so much. Just boils down to your risk factor.

Really? Do you think the number of motor vehicles on the road vs the number of trailers on the road has something to do with that statistic? :h
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
wa8yxm wrote:
Side note and story: I recall the screams when Michigan passed a seat belt and child restraint laws (no won't go into that)

The story One parent wrote about how much they hated the child seat law.. How it caused all sorts of problems cause with that big child seat in the truck there was not enough room for the entire family and so on and so forth.

Till the truck ran off the road and the infant in the child seat.. NOT EVEN A BRUISE..

Another story: Child restraint law at this point but no Seat belt: Rollover.. Multiple dead. Baby, in child seat, covered in blood.. ALL BELONGING TO ADULTS. Baby not even scratched. (That one I dispatched troopers to).

Another story: (Still no seat belt law) 4 people in car. 3 laughed at 4th who buckled up.. Car crashed.> The one with the buckled belt got a split lip and 3 funerals to attend. (She was my daughter's babysitter).

The difference is by the time seat belt use was mandated, there was a plentiful supply of data supporting the requirement. Seat belts had been around for decades and crash reports were collecting information on if the occupants were using them. There were also studies tracking how many people regularly use seat belts for many years, so injury rates per mile driven could be estimated.

Personally, I think they were a little heavy handed in the seatbelt approach but the data was there.

By contrast, I know of no similar studies for riding in trailers and there are no standardized data entries on crash reports for occupants in trailers. You would have to read each report and hope the officer noted it in the description but with negligible data on how many ride in trailers developing comparable injury rates would be effectively impossible. Having read thousands of police reports...not going to happen.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
willald wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you are talking big diesel pushers on tour bus chassis...you have a point. Though that height makes a roll over more problematic.

Run of the mill Class C or lower tier Class A...no, they disintegrate in crashes just like trailers.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
And today we pack our kids in bubble wrap until they're old enough to vote.

Our society's approach to risk nowadays: "Something bad happened just happened. We'd better outlaw it."

DANG, I think we could be good friends!!!

Well. We hang out in the same places.

Dive Bars, RV Forums etc.

dedmiston
Cummins12V98 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Our society's approach to risk nowadays: "Something bad happened just happened. We'd better outlaw it."

Well. We hang out in the same places.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
dedmiston wrote:

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
As we were heading North up I 77 Sat Dw noted how many trailer of all types were not level, nose up. Not only unsafe but allows most of the weight to be carried on the rear axel. Are people really that ignorant?

And likely pulled by a 1/2 ton "THE HORROR"

Since I mentioned 1/2T how many wreaks you see? Reading what the tow police write I'd expect to see something every 10 miles. or just maybe it's all just all "the sky is falling"

Rant over safe travels
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.