cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice on toy hauler swaying on freeway

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
I would greatly appreciate any feedback and advice please. My TV is a 2012 Toyota Tacoma DBL Cab short bed 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. I just bought a toy hauler that is 22' long and weighs 3600#s dry with a TW of 620#s. I pulled it home 350 miles in my Dad's 3/4 ton with no issues using just the hitch ball mount. Tonight I picked up my rig from E-Trailer where they installed the break controller and WD Hitch. The hitch looks to be installed correctly, but I'm a total newby and could be mistaken. Both the truck and trailer look to be pretty level, although the front of the TV may be a little raised. Normally my truck is raked and now it sits level.

On the way home I was fine until I entered the freeway and at about 45 mph I started to feel the trailer walking around behind me. It spooked me enough that I exited the freeway to take surface streets
home.

I know it will all change after I load my gear and a 980# Harley in the back. But, should I be getting sway at 45 mph on the freeway with a properly installed WD Hitch? Is it possibly due to not enough load in the back of the toy hauler? I was thinking adding more weight to the rear would only increase sway?

I realize I would be better off with a different TV, but I really, really, wan to keep my Tacoma if I can.

Help!!!!!!!
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T
86 REPLIES 86

hammer21661
Explorer
Explorer
at least you didn't have to buy a 4 door so the dog could go with you like I did.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab long bed 4x4 diesel Lariamie 1-2018
2013 fuzion 322.8/25/2012
2000 Yellow Lab mix Dog, Earl,The One who gave me Unconditional Love picked up 9-12 or 13, 2001 till 2-7-2014 may he r.i.p.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Ram 2013 2500's are on the lots now. Plenty of payload and all the power you'll need. You won't even know that TH is behind you.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I would cancel the F-150 and look at the F-250 or 2500 models. Yes, you can upgrade the tires (and wheels), add suspension enhancements (like Timbrens or Supersprings), buy the best anti-sway hitch available, even change the trailer suspension, but it will not be the same. Ford makes a 3/4 3/4 ton HD model which would be better, but why not go with a full 3/4 ton model? I have had three 1/2 ton and three 3/4 ton tow vehicles in the last ten years, so I have been there done that. I enjoyed driving the lighter models, until I hitched up to go somewhere.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:

I pulled the trigger today on a F150 FX4 4x4. It will be almost double the GAWR and longer wheel base of 145". I didn't get the max tow package, but it should still tow up to about 9500#'s.

Can you back out? Is this the truck with only 1200 pounds of payload? Seriously, slow down. You really should be thinking 3/4 ton. And if you don't like 2500rpm, then you'd better get a diesel. I think you are setting yourself up for another unpleasant towing experience. I'm sure it will be improved, but you have high expectations.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
LittleBill wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
JConatser wrote:
Thanks Irak for finding the correct GCWR number... it was the one that kinda threw a flag and made me insert the "assuming" statement.
To OP: FWIW, even with the larger GCWR number, I think you're making a wise decision to go for a bigger truck.

I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph.\

lol if you think 2500 is bad, you would be crying at 4k, where i sat when pulling with my subaru for 25k miles

2.5k simply means your out of overdrive, which is totally expected

if your uncomfortable fine, but i would load it weigh it and try to get it dialed in before changing vehicles, but thats just me

I tried, believe me, I tried. I love my truck so much that I bought a 100% aluminum toy hauler spending over $20k just to get one light enough to tow with my Tacoma. I'm literally sick to my stomach that I have a 7 month old truck that I now have to sell. Anyway, I tried moving stuff around, shifting weight, changing the WD hitch links, etc. No matter what the trailer moves around and makes the Tacoma feel too squirmy for my tastes, so she's got to go.
I pulled the trigger today on a F150 FX4 4x4. It will be almost double the GAWR and longer wheel base of 145". I didn't get the max tow package, but it should still tow up to about 9500#'s. I'm only needing to tow probably 5K, so the new truck should be good. Not supposed to tow until I get to 1k miles, so I didn't try it even though I really wanted to. I'll update you all after I get her hooked up and try it.

Your plight makes me smile... I just did the same thing over the last 10 years or so. Started with an 89 Toyota 4runner.... LOVED that rig. Went to a 95 4runner got married and had a baby. Got an F150 then got divorced (5 years passed), got re-married have 3 more kids for a total of 4 and now a 3/4 diesel with a bunkhouse TT.

Be carful, this whole towing/camping thing gets expensive to do right but there's no better feeling than rolling down the road with your family in the best/safest setup available ๐Ÿ™‚

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
... I guess when I throw the Harley in the back of the Hauler my tongue weight will decrease...

Indeed that will happen... don't forget, however, that as you decrease the tongue weight you increase sway characteristics. For safety's sake don't go below that 10% number, especially if you plan on getting on the Interstate and driving 70 mph.
Ameri-Lite 24RB
2003 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your problem is not as much the truck but the tires that are on your truck. Your dad has E rated tires and you have who knows. His sidewalls are much stiffer. Tow behind trailers suck unless you have a lot of truck compared to your TT.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
Stevepro172 wrote:
The F150 will do fine. I was in the same boat with the same 8.5x22 VRV with my Ram 1500 Hemi. Trailer tows fine with WD hitch. Currently with the trailer empty I'm at 800lbs of tongue weight. Once I add the toys and gear I will have to make sure to keep at least that much tongue weight. What you are going to have to watch for is running up against max payload in a 1/2 ton truck. Don't get fooled that the specs say that it will tow 11,000lbs because most likely the max payload is around 1500lbs. So take whatever you and your wife weight plus anything you put in the truck and the bed, plus the tongue weight and subtract that number from the max gross. this will be the limit...Period. In my Ram, I only have 1467lbs so with my trailer even thought its light I'm closer than I would like but my 2 kids are both under 4 years old so I'm good for now but once they start to put on weight, hello 3/4 ton!

Good luck with the F150 and VRV. I'm loving mine!

You know, now I get what you meant by having to upgrade when the kids get older. I was so caught up worrying about if the truck could tow the trailer, I totally discounted payload. Now, I'm a little worried. I'm really not sure what my max payload is. The online brochure shows 1520#'s My door jamb sticker says not to exceed 1200#'s. Basically my Wife and I, two dogs, and 800# tongue weight are over the 1200# at 1280#. I wonder if the door jamb shows 1200 because of the 20" Passenger tires? How can one increase payload capacity? LT tires? I wonder if the max payload capacity option is available post purchase? Anyway, now I'm a little worried. I guess when I throw the Harley in the back of the Hauler my tongue weight will decrease, so that helps. Man this stuff is exhausting.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

Stevepro172
Explorer
Explorer
The F150 will do fine. I was in the same boat with the same 8.5x22 VRV with my Ram 1500 Hemi. Trailer tows fine with WD hitch. Currently with the trailer empty I'm at 800lbs of tongue weight. Once I add the toys and gear I will have to make sure to keep at least that much tongue weight. What you are going to have to watch for is running up against max payload in a 1/2 ton truck. Don't get fooled that the specs say that it will tow 11,000lbs because most likely the max payload is around 1500lbs. So take whatever you and your wife weight plus anything you put in the truck and the bed, plus the tongue weight and subtract that number from the max gross. this will be the limit...Period. In my Ram, I only have 1467lbs so with my trailer even thought its light I'm closer than I would like but my 2 kids are both under 4 years old so I'm good for now but once they start to put on weight, hello 3/4 ton!

Good luck with the F150 and VRV. I'm loving mine!

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
kwlincoln wrote:
Just get the 1 ton! No more worries.

It's only money.

I almost told myself the same thing. Honestly, for me it's not about the $$$. I just like small trucks. I've been driving the new F150 around since Saturday. Tonight I hopped into the Tacoma, and I just like driving around in the smaller truck. So, I figured the f150 would be a good compromise for me. If the F150 won't to this ultra light 3300lb trailer, I'll just dump the trailer, and chalk it up to experience. Having said that, I'm fairly certain the F150 will do just fine.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
Just get the 1 ton! No more worries.

It's only money.

JConatser
Explorer
Explorer
I think your F150 will do fine. You need to add some sway control, however, and the way I would do it is get rid of your current WD hitch and get one with built-in sway control. I've had experience with a number of WD hitches over the years, and the one I like best is the Equal-i-zer. Also, when you load your Toy Hauler make sure to keep at least 10% of it's total weight on it's tongue. As has been previously stated, 12 to 15% is a better number to shoot for.
Ameri-Lite 24RB
2003 Chevy 1500 Ext Cab, 5.7L
Equal-i-zer Hitch

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
lrak wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
I got on highway and when even 1 ton Ram trucks flew by me the trailer moved a little. I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph. Just kinda felt like the truck was laboring.

IMO if you want to not experience those things, skip the Eco-boost and go for a long bed diesel.

OTOH, once I got used to 2500-2900 rpm for several days, 1600-2000rpm seemed too low. Just like the change when I moved from my first car with a 3spd automatic to something modern. ๐Ÿ™‚

Well, I love small trucks. So, if the new F150 doesn't do better than the Taco did, I'm gonna puke. No way am I buying 3 new trucks in less than a year just to pull a 3300# toy hauler. ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T

lrak
Explorer
Explorer
09KZMXT266 wrote:
I got on highway and when even 1 ton Ram trucks flew by me the trailer moved a little. I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph. Just kinda felt like the truck was laboring.

IMO if you want to not experience those things, skip the Eco-boost and go for a long bed diesel.

OTOH, once I got used to 2500-2900 rpm for several days, 1600-2000rpm seemed too low. Just like the change when I moved from my first car with a 3spd automatic to something modern. ๐Ÿ™‚

09KZMXT266
Explorer
Explorer
LittleBill wrote:
09KZMXT266 wrote:
JConatser wrote:
Thanks Irak for finding the correct GCWR number... it was the one that kinda threw a flag and made me insert the "assuming" statement.
To OP: FWIW, even with the larger GCWR number, I think you're making a wise decision to go for a bigger truck.

I also didn't like the 2500 rpm at 60 mph.\

lol if you think 2500 is bad, you would be crying at 4k, where i sat when pulling with my subaru for 25k miles

2.5k simply means your out of overdrive, which is totally expected

if your uncomfortable fine, but i would load it weigh it and try to get it dialed in before changing vehicles, but thats just me

I tried, believe me, I tried. I love my truck so much that I bought a 100% aluminum toy hauler spending over $20k just to get one light enough to tow with my Tacoma. I'm literally sick to my stomach that I have a 7 month old truck that I now have to sell. Anyway, I tried moving stuff around, shifting weight, changing the WD hitch links, etc. No matter what the trailer moves around and makes the Tacoma feel too squirmy for my tastes, so she's got to go.
I pulled the trigger today on a F150 FX4 4x4. It will be almost double the GAWR and longer wheel base of 145". I didn't get the max tow package, but it should still tow up to about 9500#'s. I'm only needing to tow probably 5K, so the new truck should be good. Not supposed to tow until I get to 1k miles, so I didn't try it even though I really wanted to. I'll update you all after I get her hooked up and try it.
2014 KZ Inferno 3410T