cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice please

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
I am currently in Georgia for Xmas with our kids. Weather wise its great, our trsiler (26rls) has been flawless with a few minor glitches some dog related. My issue is this, we are going home to pa after Xmas. Should I winterize my trailer before I go home or being the mild winter there could I wait till I got home? I figure we will stop at least once. I don't have a small compressor to blow lines out but do have a pump to push antifreeze through for black water flush jets etc. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
16 REPLIES 16

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
Pay attention to the weather predictions for wherever you are on the nights you will be there. If the temperature is going to be below 30, then yes, if not, then no.

THIS is what we always did, too.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
I also open the low water drain on the road and then pump the pink stuff. 2 things to remember are
1.) don't forget to drain the water heater and bypass the tank.
2.) If you have and outside shower or water spigot don't for get to get the pink stuff there.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I do like Bowty, do it and that is one less thing to keep an eye on and worry about, plus the pita if you have to do it in a knee jerk.

njtony
Explorer
Explorer
Best to winterize.we were stuck in ga a few years back in uncles yard because of ice &snow had to buy electric heatrs .could not leave stuck in snow in yard.

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar situation every year. I travel from the low warmer desert country to a high elevation into potential snow and ice country where temps at night normally go well below freezing and into the teens.

Therefore I get my winterizing done ahead of time in the low country with the RV anti freeze. For the trip to the cold country I carry a couple of 5 gallon containers of water plus some bottled water. That way you can still flush, etc.

Having learned the hard (cold) way that winterizing on the cold end of the trip is really harder and just downright miserable. What small amount of water that is flushed and drained from sinks does not cause a problem for me. You will have to judge your own situation on how much is in the tanks.
jwmII

Hideout17
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys.i will keep an eye on temps. I have everything within easy reach when I need it.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Don't let the record warm temperatures lull you into complacency. Typically, this time of year, hard freezes are routine. A quick change in the weather can cause significant damage to unprotected plumbing.

sele
Explorer
Explorer
Even though you run the pink stuff through all your water lines so yes there should be a certain amount in the drain trap. I always pour some into each drain after running pink stuff in the water lines just to be safe, doesn't take much a cup for each one, guess I would rather be safe.
scott

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
On your last day on the road open up all the faucets and the low point drain. That should shake out most of the water from all the lines. You can add the antifreeze once you get home.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We're in Florida right now (Florida Caverns State Park) - North of Panama City. We are returning home Saturday after Christmas (to Indiana), provided the State Park does not evacuate us because of flooding. Anyway, I was planning on winterizing before we left on Saturday, but considering the warmer temperatures at home right now, I may wait myself. This would give us a better option to stop at another campground half way home Saturday night.

But, if following the weather from the local television stations back home, if the temps start to drop, I can always pull over, into a rest stop, or even a gas station, and "do the pink" any time. Trailer has a battery and will run the water pump just fine!

My advise is the same for you. Watch the weather at home (computer, I-phone, however), and if it looks like you're heading back into freezing temps, just stop and run the pink! Problem solved!

PapaNIes60
Explorer
Explorer
Bowti wrote:
Like everyone has said watch the weather, however if this is something you are going to worry about, then I would eliminate the worry and winterize before you leave. I do everything I can do to make my travel time worry free.

Great answer! BTW, I too own a 26RLS and we love it.

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Like everyone has said watch the weather, however if this is something you are going to worry about, then I would eliminate the worry and winterize before you leave. I do everything I can do to make my travel time worry free.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Watch the weather and if you can wait do so. BUT be very sure there will be no extended cold snaps. Once the lines are frozen in the winter they stay that way until Spring!
We come back to Chicago from Florida early February and usually have to winterize in Alabama on the way.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Let the weather be your guide. Have the pink stuff on hand. Takes but 15 minutes to winterize most trailers without an air compressor (/I've never needed one in 20 years).
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.