Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need Generator Help!

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins-Onan Energy Command 30 5.5kW Marquis Gold Gasoline Generator HGJAB

FWIW, this is basically the same generator we had on the 5er and I never had any problems there.

What's the "trick" to refilling the oil?

Very slowly trickled new oil down funnel into dipstick hole, didn't have a full quart in it and it starts spilling all over the place. Generator supposed to take a full 2 quarts.

Very briefly ran it to get the filter filled up, thinking maybe that was the problem. Again slowly trickling oil thru the funnel, it almost immediately started spilling all over the place again.

By trickling I mean trickling - I'm only pouring the oil into the funnel at a rate it doesn't back up in the funnel.

Afterthought: is the trick in the refilling or in the draining? Just struck me that maybe somehow only half the old oil drained out. When I closed the valve it was dripping single drops every 15-20 seconds. And RV is absolutely level.

?
6 REPLIES 6

kwplot34
Explorer
Explorer
I use a pump that is used for filling oil in the lower unit on outboard engines works much better than the funnel.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might want to try something like THIS syringe to inject the oil deeper into the engine.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Ironic but I also did my oil today. The first quart and a half went in well enough but I had to slowly fill, stop, let the level go down, add a little more oil and repeat. I had about a quarter of a quart to go and I didn't think it would fit in but it did, little by little.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

PhilipB
Explorer
Explorer
Just did mine and it is slow. Got about 1 1/2 quarts in, then ran it a few minutes and it took the remainder.

On another note, how do you get to the spark plug near the cover on the right. It's really tight. Do they make a special plug wrench?
2015 Ram 2500
[purple]2013 Raptor 310TS[/purple]

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, would a turkey baster help? By squirting the oil deep inside, the air can escape beside the baster tube.

YWORRYDOG
Explorer
Explorer
same problem, I get it to the top, the give the starter a burst.
CHUCK and ROSE 2010 Sunseeker
We camp on earth