cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need guidance on best roof trailers

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
I will soon be in the market for a used camper for a permanent vacation site. It will likely be 5-10 yrs. old and 30ish ft. long with slides. Are there any makes/models which have seemed to stand above the rest for not leaking? What should I look out for? Is it reasonable to find a trailer of this age that won't need roof repair fairly soon? Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry about that! I did hear you say, ''permanent vacation home''.

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
"so I don't have to empty the tanks, that sort of thing"
I have an outhouse
Also, where I'm putting it, a mobile home will be assessed and raise property taxes. No property tax on a camper!

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 03 fiberglass unit sitting outside, no cover since new and is still good to this day. I think Bigfoot makes an all fiberglass trailer but the condensation in winter with full time use would build up inside.

Your best bet is to get a small mobile home like a single wide. Has 300% more insulation and the composition roof is no big deal to replace if used. Just negotiate the price accordingly and get a good deal. Otherwise build the roof deck cover is a great way to go.

Personally I would want the mobile home with a septic system so I don't have to empty the tanks, that sort of thing.

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
Roof maintenance is the key. Check those records closely on a used RV and do maintenance at least twice a year.

I don't know anyone who keeps records of every time they work on their roof, change the oil on their gen, winterize, or any of the other stuff that people do all the time. I doubt legitimate records exist for most used RVs unless the previous owner took their RV to a service center for all of their routine maintenance.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The longest lasting roofing material is aluminum. Still not perfect as there will be seams that are potential leak points.

Any trailer that is 10 years old and not had EXCELLENT care (wash and treat with UV resistant spray) is going to need a new roof (NOT A RECOAT) soon.

A carport type covering is your best solution.

What brands use aluminum roofs?
Thanks.

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Skibane wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
The longest lasting roofing material is aluminum.

Molded fiberglass is right up there, too.

I forgot about that because there are so few RVs that have that.

TPO, especially commercial grade (thickness) is an excellent choice for an OEM roof.

What is TPO?

Camper445
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 8-10 years the vast majority of travel trailers and 5th wheels have Alpha Systems Superflex roofing, basically a thin PVC, think thin pool Liner. Forest River and Thor use it on most if not all of their brands and it has been on every Grand Design product ever made. That's about 90%+ of the towable market. Alpha systems entered into an exclusive distribution agreement with Lippert in 2020, that should tell you its the cheapest material available.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:

I forgot about that because there are so few RVs that have that.

TPO, especially commercial grade (thickness) is an excellent choice for an OEM roof.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Most of the GMC motorhomes built in the 1970's still have their original roofs. A lot of them still look brand-new.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
We have a TT with a fiberglas roof, made the same way as the walls. It is a 2014 and shows no signs of deterioration.
PS it is a Evergreen Ascend 231RKB, which is regretfully no longer made.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The longest lasting roofing material is aluminum. Still not perfect as there will be seams that are potential leak points.

Any trailer that is 10 years old and not had EXCELLENT care (wash and treat with UV resistant spray) is going to need a new roof (NOT A RECOAT) soon.

A carport type covering is your best solution.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roof maintenance is the key. Check those records closely on a used RV and do maintenance at least twice a year.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most all RVs have rubber roofs and are sealed around the edges and the penetration points like vents, etc. How well the trailer was maintained has more of an effect on leak resistance than a particular brand. I would think if you are doing a seasonal site especially in upstate NY you would want to build something like this: