cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help finding the right 5th wheel weight

Rblake106
Explorer II
Explorer II

I need help yall. Me, my wife and kids are attempting to get into the RV world and in particular looking at 5th wheels. Everyone that I find seems to be way over weight. 

Here are some specs and maybe somebody can help me with possible max hitch weights or 5th wheel weights I need to stay under to be safe.

Truck Curb Weight: 7410

Max Load Weight: 10850

Max Payload: 3200

Tow Capacity: 16000

Figured weight between passengers and gear would be about 600 lbs. Hopefully over estimating.

I have attempted 5th wheels with hitch weights in the 2k range as well as RV's in the 11k-12k weight range and it always is to heavy in the calculator I use. On average tells me GCVWR is 12k over.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 REPLIES 10

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tow rating almost never is the controlling limitation.

Assuming the yellow payload sticker says 3200lb and pax/gear is 600lb...that gives you 2600lb remaining. Call it 2500lb when you account for the hitch itself.

Typically hitch weight is around 20-25% of the loaded trailer (no one goes on trips with an empty trailer, so the listed hitch weight is irrelevant). Using 25% to be safe, that puts you at around 10,000lb fully loaded ready to roll. 

So assuming you want to stay within the ratings (some people will brag about going over the ratings), you are looking at trailers in the 10,000lb GVWR range. You may sneak a little higher but then you will have to be careful of loading and weight distribution. 

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator

I never worried about the "tow capacity" and just went by hitch weight.  take the advertised hitch weight and add about 500lbs to account for the 5th wheel hitch and any batteries you might put in the front compartment and such.. my 5th wheel is 12K and was advertised with a hitch weight of 2300lbs.  that ended up being 2850 when I added the 5th hitch and four GC2 batteries and full freshwater and everything I tank to go camping.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Are you pulling with a DRW 350?

nope single rear wheel.  when hooked up I almost have 1000lbs of payload left over.  my truck has the heavy payload package so I am about 4400lbs payload, with the wife me the dog and the trailerhooked up I am around 3400lbs used up.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Sounds good, I think I redid my math and should be ok.

Unloaded Curb Weight: 6825

Max load weight: 10850

GCVR: 26000

Max Payload: 3402

Tow Capacity: 18100

RV unloaded weight: 11835

RV Max loaded weight: 16449

RV Pin Weight: 2449

don't forget about 150 to 200lbs for the 5th wheel hitch.  and is your unloaded curb weight from you actualy driving a scale, if it isn't go get weighed with a full tank of gas and you and get the real weight.  I was suposed to have 4700lbs payload untill I got the real weight

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

I would be very surprised if a 16449GVWR 5er had a hitch weight under 3000lb. More likely it will be on the order of 3500-4000lb. Somewhere on the order of 14-16k GVWR or higher, I would be looking to transition to dually

How did your tow rating jump from 16k to 18.1k? 

Have you actually weighed your truck? The curb weight off websites is often less than reality because it doesn't have the full specs. If you already have the truck, swing by a CAT scale with the truck loaded with family and gear like you are going on a trip and get real numbers. Running boards, bed covers, firewood, etc..., can add up quickly.

One final thought...how old are the kids? Probably not a deal breaker but a couple of 10yr old boys may be 150lb. In 7-8yrs, they may be pushing 400lb if they are still camping with you.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Everything is just off the internet as of so far. Kids are pretty small, 9 and 2. We will have two vehicles. One for passengers and the other mainly just to tow. I have gotten the info off of owners manuals or from the manufacturer.

If it's just internet specs, move up to a dually. They don't cost much more and can easily handle a 16k GVWR 5er. A 1 ton SRW might be in spec but it's going to be maxed out.

If you already have the 3/4 ton (and don't want to trade it in for a bigger truck), start looking at 10-12k GVWR 5ers and if you creep up into the higher end, plan to spend some time playing with cargo distribution and possibly limiting cargo to keep it below the 12k limit to keep the truck in spec.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

MORSNOW
Navigator II
Navigator II

You are discovering what everyone does while researching RV's (trailers, 5th wheels, and truck campers), they are ALL much heavier than advertised, that dry weight decal is a farce, they all weigh much more.  And your gear will also weigh much more than you think.  There's more than just your clothes and some food, its all the required gear too like hitches, suspension upgrades, propane, additional batteries, fresh water weight, beverages, etc, they all add at least 1,000 lbs.  You need to upsize your truck one or two levels to be comfortable hauling the weight.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded