cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New fifth wheel drove home need to return to dealer

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Bought fifth wheel at Campers Inn and was unaware there would be a problem with the height of the automatic jacks that sit under the Grand Design Reflection, also with the length of the tire to pin distance. Looking for information on New Hampshire laws that will help us in returning to Campers Inn. They said we could exchange for another trailer that would work for our yard which we found, shorter distance and higher jacks hoping to swap and get some money back. That surely was not the case. Much cheaper fifth wheel and they wanted us to give them 5000 more. Need to find some loop hole to try and not loose so much money on returning this fifth wheel. Any help?
44 REPLIES 44

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with the rear and mid jacks is when they are raised (all the way up) they don't raise any higher then 6" off the ground. Any uneven ground - our yard and where we park it - cause them to hit the ground. There are two rear jacks and two mid jacks.

The jacks are mounted as high as they can go.

The second problem is that although this RV is only 3 feet longer than our last; the pin to wheel distance is longer. This make it significantly harder to maneuver. The dealer said this wouldn't be an issue. It is.

So we cannot store this unit safely on our property.

Ignorance is expensive. We understand we'll lose money, but we also feel the dealer could be a little more flexible. But business is business I guess.

I appreciate the input. Any other wisdom would be much appreciated.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
jackstrat wrote:
Yes I agree they have no obligation. I also believe that they are taking advantage of a situation as well. If we keep the trailer we would have the worry and stress about other campgrounds that have unleveled areas and may have a larger problem of damaging the 5th. Any ideas on how to sell a 5th?
You sell a fifth wheel the same way you sell anything else. You price it right and it will sell. Since someone can buy a new one for what you paid for yours, your price on the used one will have to be substantially lower than what you paid. The normal reaction to a brand new vehicle being resold is there is something wrong with it. Plus, financing terms will not be as attractive to the buyer and they lose the feeling of security that people get dealing with a dealer. (like them or not, they do have reputations to protect and assets to pay claims if there is truly a fraudulent situation, which there is not in this instance).
Something still doesn't pass the smell test, how can the jacks grab the ground if they retract even 6 inches above the ground? Do you have some kind of unusual setup for your truck that the bed is considerably lower off the ground than a normal 1 ton pickup? If so, that would be your concern, not the dealer's or the manufacturer's and you would need to plan accordingly.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
They are not taking advantage of the situation. You now have a used trailer. They will have to sell it as a used trailer. They need to make a profit on your used trailer when they sell it. They need to make a profit on another trailer you buy from them. Salespeople need to make commissions on the sales. That is how the process works.

I am sorry you find yourself in this problem, but you are solely responsible for the problem and the dealer has no responsibility whatsoever.

As previously posted, why not just store your trailer off site somewhere?

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I agree they have no obligation. I also believe that they are taking advantage of a situation as well. If we keep the trailer we would have the worry and stress about other campgrounds that have unleveled areas and may have a larger problem of damaging the 5th. Any ideas on how to sell a 5th?

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
If it was me, and I really liked the trailer and to avoid the $5k difference I would store the trailer elsewhere. $5k will pay for a lot of storage for a trailer you really like. You will never be quite satisfied with the alternate trailer. I think also that the dealer is without blame here.

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Problem is the jacks are mounted as high as they can go and still only 6 inches from ground.

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
Ok. Why not put down some wood to lift the trailer over the low spot.

Can you lift the trailer by moving the suspension bolts down a notch?

Is your pin height not adjustable?
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Probably could return it and get back any attorney fees too. You should get a lawyer that knows about the UCC codes.

Uniform Commercial Code

https://www.law.cornell.edu/ucc
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
When we maneuver the trailer in our yard and parking area we are unable to without the jack digging into the earth. We had previous fifth wheel and had no problems taking it in and out of our yard because the jacks tucked nicely under the frame. Beleive me if there was any way to keep this I would not hesitate. We love the camper.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
so what is the problem? why can you not do like others and make blocks up to put under the levelers sounds like a stupid reason to go all out and say the camper has to go back

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I agree with you, I just didn't know if there was some hidden law that gives us 30 days ect... to be able to return it some how.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you bought it and took it home I think it is a used camper now.

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
We understand some loss of money but the amount was sickening. Bought 323BHS, 36'10" and settled on Super lite 29RS 30' 11" and they want 4900. In the end we would be paying for a Super Lite 46400. Do you have any experience in selling a brand new 5th, never used?

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need to elaborate. Height of automatic jacks??? Pin to tire distance???
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
don,t see it happening, these are thing that should have been looked into before you bought.nice the dealer is willing to work with you.