cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New fifth wheel drove home need to return to dealer

jackstrat
Explorer
Explorer
Bought fifth wheel at Campers Inn and was unaware there would be a problem with the height of the automatic jacks that sit under the Grand Design Reflection, also with the length of the tire to pin distance. Looking for information on New Hampshire laws that will help us in returning to Campers Inn. They said we could exchange for another trailer that would work for our yard which we found, shorter distance and higher jacks hoping to swap and get some money back. That surely was not the case. Much cheaper fifth wheel and they wanted us to give them 5000 more. Need to find some loop hole to try and not loose so much money on returning this fifth wheel. Any help?
44 REPLIES 44

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
jackstrat wrote:
Problem is the jacks are mounted as high as they can go and still only 6 inches from ground.

There are several manufacturers that have the jacks mounted toward the rear more than others. That's one issue I'm concerned with on the DRV toy haulers. A lot of manufacturers have them mounted right behind the tires at probably the best location.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
All58Parks wrote:
I would look into getting an excavating company to regrade your yard. I had to do a little of this with my new TT to make it easier to park, since it was several feet longer than the old one. Didn't cost much at all. It doesn't seem likely that you'll run into much of a problem in campgrounds, unless you're planning to do some off-road boondocking.

That's what I was thinking but I have my own backhoe. I'd just dig or add earth as needed.

I guess you could also look into raising the truck with air bags.

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
If the OP likes the 5th wheel, he may find it cheaper to rent a space in a public storage area to keep it instead of at his home. I did this for a number of years when we lived in Colorado.

Other possibilities is to reshape the yard area where you are trying to park at home. Sounds like you have a hump you are trying to back over. There are lots of things I would try before I lost roughly $5,000 on a rig I liked other than the jacks digging into the dirt.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

snarkee
Explorer
Explorer
Lift the trailer higher (axle blocks?)and grade the yard

I just had to do that
2021 Chevrolet Silverado 2500hd
2021 Rockwood Ultralite 2891bh

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not so great a design.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grand Design must be using different jacks, as the hydraulic jacks from Lippert have multiple mounting holes to allow movement up or down by several inches. I'm on my third hydraulic leveling system and haven't had any problems draging any jacks.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Regrading the yard still doesn't solve the auto jacks only being 6" off the pavement. Pulling into/ out of gas stations could result in the jacks getting hung up.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
goducks10 wrote:
I'd spend the money and do the landscaping. You obviously like the 5th wheel since you bought it. Losing money 2x would be a downer. I can't imagine it would be very much to hire someone with a backhoe to re-level or build a berm or something to help get that GD 5th backed in.

THIS^^^

Notice a theme?

You will most likely be able to get part of the yard regraded for much less than what you will lose in a "trade"..

You say you really like the trailer, then spend a bit on changing the landscape and be done with it.. A one time outlay of money for landscaping will net you years of enjoyment..

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd spend the money and do the landscaping. You obviously like the 5th wheel since you bought it. Losing money 2x would be a downer. I can't imagine it would be very much to hire someone with a backhoe to re-level or build a berm or something to help get that GD 5th backed in.

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
What Tuscon Jim said.... remove the auto level jacks and put on manual crank down jacks.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Slownsy wrote:
I think most cars have no more than 6" clearance.No pictures supplied, I am sure something can be modified.
Frank.

Yes, but cars have wheels at the corners, not near the center like a trailer.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I think most cars have no more than 6" clearance.No pictures supplied, I am sure something can be modified.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Whom ever installed the jacks put on the wrong kind on. Sounds like you need the ones that fold up. The factory is more than likely aware of the clearance problem. They should begetting alot of complaints about the height. There are highway laws about how low anything can be hanging down while on state highways. Check with the manufacture about your problem before trading it in. Does not sound right for the levelers to be that low.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Landing jacks--
Just by chance, did you check the level of the hydrolic fluid ???