cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Jeep Renegade

Rockchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if the new Jeep Renegade will be flat towable?
How about the weight of it?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
According to Chrysler dealer, official answer is that the current Jeep Renegade is not towable 4 wheels down. This is very disappointing since the initial news release article said it would be towable. We can only hope they make the active drive II transmission available as option in future.
The number of towable vehicles are dropping every year.

Doug

BlueMaxOhio
Explorer
Explorer
I was at the Cleveland Auto show this past week and asked a Jeep rep if it you could flat tow it. His answer was yes if properly equiped, but could not explain why the owners manual said not to. He was going to check and e-mail me a definitive answer.
DAN :C
2007 Winnebago Sightseer 29R
2012 Jeep Liberty Toad
I love waking up in the morning and not going to work,
so I do it 2 to 3 times a day. :B

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
I talked with my local jeep dealer and they said it is just like the Cherokee in that the determining factor is the transmission.........must be the Active Two 4wheel drive system to be towable. I plan to follow this closlely until the renegades are at the dealers, then confirm, but I believe that specific models will be towable if properly equipped. All we can do is wait and see.

Doug

kacharley
Explorer
Explorer
I just talked to my Friend who owns a Jeep Dealership and he said looking at the manuals they specifically say you can not flat tow the Jeep Renegade with all 4 down. They mentioned something about using a dolly--which I would assume that to be the front wheel drive version.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just remember it is after all a Fiat in Jeep's clothing.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

ccchuck
Explorer
Explorer
I emailed tyo be sure and got...
Dear Ccchuck:

It is great to read of your interest in Jeep!

According to the 2015 Jeep Renegade Owner?s Manual recreational towing
of the 2015 Jeep Renegade models is not allowed. I would strongly advise
you to review the 2015 Jeep Renegade Owner?s Manual by visiting the Jeep
website at http://www.jeep.com and selecting the ?For Owner?s? tab. Once
there, choose ?Owner/Service Manuals? and you will be able to select the
User Guide. The recreational towing information in the 2015 Jeep
Renegade Owner?s Manual begins on Page 419. I am providing you with the
following link to the Owner?s Manual page for your convenience:

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/manuals/
RVing since '74..

SooperDaddy
Explorer
Explorer
The 2015 Jeep Renegade will be built at Fiat's Malfi, Italy factory..when equipped with the diesel option the little Renegade can tow 3,300 pounds, when the rear seats are folded flat will have 30.7 cubic feet storage, this version will be sold in over 100 countries, entry level model will have only a 6-speed manual as the sole transmission option.

The other engine will be the familiar 2.4L 4-cylinder with a 9-speed automatic. Jeep Active Drive uses a rear-axle and power transfer unit disconnect to improve mileage.

But does this sound safe? The Jeep at 3200 lbs is said to be able to tow 1.5 times it own weight!? :R

BUT "Kicking Tires" Website says.."Inside is Jeep's Tek-Tonic design combining the rugged structural elements with more luxurious materials along with extreme-sports style colors and compartments. The five-seater is powered by either a 160-horsepower 1.4-cylinder mated to a six-speed automatic transmission or a 184-hp, 2.4-liter four-cylinder with a nine-speed automatic, available in front- or all-wheel drive. The Renegade is expected to hit dealerships in early 2015.

The "Jeep Renegade Forum" and several other Jeep sources say "The drivetrain specs show a neutral position for the transfer case so I hope it will be 4 down towable like the Cherokee".

Packard Automobile ads back in the 1920's said "Packard...ask the man who owns one!" Using that as a starting point...keep in mind that FThe Renegade IS built in Italy by FIAT, and built on the FIAT 500L unibody frameless chassis...so reliability and durability is historically going to be questionable.

Just make sure to get the longest warranty available...I've owned FIAT's, and it IS true that the name FIAT stands for "Fix It Again Tony"! All the mechanics at the FIAT repair shop that I frequented drove Toyotas!

Here in dry, sunny SoCal my poor little FIAT got rust bubbles under the paint in just 18 months after purchase! We will watch with interest!

Funny FIAT King of the Hill Cartoon!
My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen. :W

Rockchuck
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick replys, I am hoping it will be.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
hpdrver wrote:
The jeeprenegade forum has the specs on this vehicle and it shows a neutral position in the transfer case but cannot confirm towability until a vehicle manual can be examined. However the neutral position looks promising for towability. It weighs 3200 lbs. The vehicle will be at the New York auto show next month so maybe someone can check this out.

I spent some time this week driving (testing) one and agree that this post is accurate...
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

hpdrver
Explorer
Explorer
The jeeprenegade forum has the specs on this vehicle and it shows a neutral position in the transfer case but cannot confirm towability until a vehicle manual can be examined. However the neutral position looks promising for towability. It weighs 3200 lbs. The vehicle will be at the New York auto show next month so maybe someone can check this out.
Texas Two Step
2021 Coach House 272XLFR
2020 JL Jeep Wrangler