cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck and hitch weighed

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
I have weight the truck separately, truck and TT, Truck TT with EZ WDH hooked up.

F250 Truck no TT
Steer axle 4880 drive axle 3260

F250 with WDH attached

Steer axle 4460
Drive axle 4540
trailer 13260

F250 without WDH installed

steer axle 4300
Drive axle 4760
Trailer 13220

I appear to me I need to move more weight to the steer axle. I assume I need to raise my hitch height maybe one hole up.

The TT sits almost perfectly level right now but the front end is raised 1 1/2 inches. TT tows well (5090 loaded) but I know it could be improved on with more weight moved forward.

Any advise would be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
You also need to drop the front of the trailer a bit if possible. Right now you are nose up. It will be more stable if it is slightly nose down or level. A picture of your rig on level ground would help as well.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with the poster above. You need to tilt the hitch head back some more to give more leverage on the bars to return the front axle weight to 4880lbs. If you trailer is level now, then do not raise the hitch head on the shank, just tilt it back some more. This is sometimes done by adding washers, or by other adjustment means.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Add another washer in the hitch head to increase the angle, then go for 5-links again. This will place more load on the bars and will transfer more weight to the steer axle.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer ball height is 25 3/16th trailer tongue height is 25 3/16. When trailer is dropped with WDH hitch installed with 5 links under tension and bars level to the tongue the front wheel well is 1 1/2 higher than stock.

In my thinking raising the hitch ball up one hole on the shank will set the rear of truck up when TT is attached moving weight back to trailer and off tongue. Leveling and reducing tongue weight should allow more weight to move to steer axle when WDH hitch is attached with bar level to tongue.

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks men. On my bars I have 7 chain links. I have them set with 5 links between bar and chain mount, two hanging loose. At that setting the bars are level to the tongue.

I hate to pester you guys but my dealer seems to not fully understand or just sell and not service.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
If the tt is level, do not love the hitch head up.

As mentioned, readjust the hitch head tilt angle by adding another washer, or two. It sounds like taking up just one chain link may not be enough. But I guess we should ask how many chain links do you have under tension (between the wd bar and snap up bracket, not "hanging loose")?

Follow my signature links for a ton of wdh info!

Try not to have less than 5 chain links under tension, if you do you need to tilt the hitch head back more.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
You need to add more load on the hitch bars; take up another link on the chains, or raise the L-Bracket by one hole, or add another washer to the hitch head to make it tilt down more.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny