cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New truck and hitch weighed

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
I have weight the truck separately, truck and TT, Truck TT with EZ WDH hooked up.

F250 Truck no TT
Steer axle 4880 drive axle 3260

F250 with WDH attached

Steer axle 4460
Drive axle 4540
trailer 13260

F250 without WDH installed

steer axle 4300
Drive axle 4760
Trailer 13220

I appear to me I need to move more weight to the steer axle. I assume I need to raise my hitch height maybe one hole up.

The TT sits almost perfectly level right now but the front end is raised 1 1/2 inches. TT tows well (5090 loaded) but I know it could be improved on with more weight moved forward.

Any advise would be appreciated.
21 REPLIES 21

kwlincoln
Explorer
Explorer
It sits level, tows fine and the weight distribution between the front and rear axles are pretty even. You clearly have not underloaded the steering axle based on the weights you've shown. You're looking to fix a problem that doesn't exist.

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
lbrjet wrote:
The tongue weight is 4880 + 3260 (truck weight unhitched) - 4300 - 4750 (truck weight with trailer hitched and No WDH) = 910

OK thanks I wasn't sure how that was calculated.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
You need more hitch head tilt or your bars are not up to the weight of the trailer tongue...possibly both.

What is the weight ratings on the bars and what is your tongue weight?

Here is my hitch head and it's set to max tilt...I do this so the bars get good leverage on the hitch and actually distribute the weight forward.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
The tongue weight is 4880 + 3260 (truck weight unhitched) - 4300 - 4750 (truck weight with trailer hitched and No WDH) = 910
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

D_MAX
Explorer
Explorer
I see a 1500lb tongue weight (4760-3260) unless I am confused.

How big are your bars?

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Texan79423 wrote:
I have weight the truck separately, truck and TT, Truck TT with EZ WDH hooked up.

F250 Truck no TT
Steer axle 4880 drive axle 3260

F250 with WDH attached

Steer axle 4460
Drive axle 4540
trailer 13260

F250 without WDH installed

steer axle 4300
Drive axle 4760
Trailer 13220

I appear to me I need to move more weight to the steer axle. I assume I need to raise my hitch height maybe one hole up.

The TT sits almost perfectly level right now but the front end is raised 1 1/2 inches. TT tows well (5090 loaded) but I know it could be improved on with more weight moved forward.

Any advise would be appreciated.

im assuming that the 13220 is the total gross weight not the trailer axles.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that something is off with those numbers. I'm getting a 920 lb tongue on a 14140 lb trailer. That tongue should at least weigh a little over 1400 lbs. But then the OP says 5090 loaded, so maybe the numbers for the trailer are combined truck/trailer numbers?
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
I calculate that you have 6.5% tongue weight.

You may have big problems if you ever have to make any kind of evasive maneuver.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what year the op F250 is but the manual in my 2013 only recommends 50% of the weight being restored

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You are on the right track. Many RV dealers do not set up/adjust the WDH well, and even if they do when brand new/empty, you'll be adding stuff to increase TW and need to adjust. Increase the hitch head angel, more tilt to rear and keep at your 5 links. I think everything else seems close enough. And you probably do not need to restore all of weight from front axle with your truck. I still recommend 3/4+ of lost weight, even though manufacturers are shifting on today's pickups to less.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I have always leveled the trailer on level ground. Measure from the ground up into the inside of the trailers "ball coupling". If that measurement is 19", then adjust the hitch head on your truck(sitting on a level surface)so the ball is 19" off the ground(19" is an example measurement). Then add enough washers to the tilt adjustment so the ball is tilting toward the trailer, not a ridiculous amount of tilt, just so it's off level tilting toward the trailer. Start with that. If you "drop" three links on the bars when you snap them up the trailer should be pretty close to level and the pick up should be pretty close to it's normal riding elevation. From there you can add another washer if three links doesn't level the rig out. I think dropping more then three links means your bars aren't stiff enough or the tilt isn't correct. When it's right the weight of the tongue should be spread pretty darn equally across the front and rear axle of the tow vehicle.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks big time Barney and others. My dealer does not appear (to me) to fully understand all that may be required. They say if TT sits level it's all good.

With the knowledge and information all have provided to me, and their experience I bet we can work it out now.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tilt it back towards the trailer.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Texan79423
Explorer
Explorer
I had set up txt as in e-trailer video. But truck front did not come down. My tt jack raise tt and truck enough to to hook up 5 of 7 links but front did not come down as expected?
So I need to tilt head/ ball back towards truck or tt?