cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New user, have looked around a bit, first post

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Looked for and found this forum and signed up recently (couple of days ago).

I was laid off from my job of 34 years last September and took my retirement. Over the past few months have been pondering my situation and future and have looked at the RV life as a full time option. It really interests me, and there are many places I've been that I would like to go again, and many I've never seen that I would love to.

I will begin drawing SS starting next February when I turn 62. Decision is made, even my Financial Planner can't talk me out of that. Doesn't matter to me if I can get $800 more a month if I wait another decade. Pooh! Have half a dozen friends that had that waiting plan that died in late 50's to mid 60's. They were all about my age. That could happen to me. Hell as a smoker of 49 years, it probably will. I intend to get some of my money back from Uncle Sugar while I can.

I have some resources other than that though. A condo I can rent for at least twice my mortgage, a cash out of a company 401k, stuff like that in addition to SS.

My original thoughts were on buying a really nice new 5th and a 2500/3500 to tow it, but lately I've been looking at late model low mileage Class A's that I could tow my little beater truck around with that would cost me about the same. Will decide when the time comes.

Looking back this is sort of long and rambly, but I'll post it anyway to see if I get any comments, suggestions or resource ideas for my hunt. BTW, for me the destination is the priority, the journey is just getting me there and sitting 4-6 months, then getting somewhere else for another 6 months. Follow the sun ya know, winters in the SW, summers in the Rockies and Northern states.

I've been told that monthly fees for 50amp, water and sewer are $1000 per month sometimes more. If that's the case then this probably won't be for me, but I'll do some checking. Hopefully there are some nice places where I'll be going that won't be that much.

Anyway to close, any comments, suggestions, ideas would be welcome.

Thanks for taking the time.

Dan
16 REPLIES 16

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Steve, never smoke inside since I had kids, so won't be poluting any RV i decide on. I probabaly will go with the 5th/Truck option as I can buy new for about the same price I have been seeing on the MH Class A's. I've decided new because if I decide this isn't for me, or can't physically manage it I could sell a more recent 5th easier and get back into condo living.

Still many questions I need answered and will continue searching. Thanks all

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Dance Chick wrote:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, so I'll chime in. You mentioned you're not planning as much traveling as sitting for 4-6 months at a time. If that's the case, I'd go the 5er/truck or TT/truck route vs. a MH. You'll get more space with less or more manageable maintenance. Plus, I read all the time that MHs need to be driven. Ours sits in storage for several months before we're able to travel, so DH has to make a concerted effort to drive it from time to time just to "exercise" it. Yes, your big truck will be your daily driver vs. a smaller, cheaper toad for the MH, but that should be offset by the cheaper maintenance for the 5er/TT.

Good luck with your plans. Hope it all works out nicely for you.

This is good advice.

I will also offer you should rent a Class C motorhome for a week, to test out RV living. That would just be a brief introduction, but if you have never Rved or stayed in a RV park before, you will at least have some idea if it is for you.

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, so I'll chime in. You mentioned you're not planning as much traveling as sitting for 4-6 months at a time. If that's the case, I'd go the 5er/truck or TT/truck route vs. a MH. You'll get more space with less or more manageable maintenance. Plus, I read all the time that MHs need to be driven. Ours sits in storage for several months before we're able to travel, so DH has to make a concerted effort to drive it from time to time just to "exercise" it. Yes, your big truck will be your daily driver vs. a smaller, cheaper toad for the MH, but that should be offset by the cheaper maintenance for the 5er/TT.

Good luck with your plans. Hope it all works out nicely for you.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Factor the cost of fuel into any RV. This is not an inexpensive lifestyle. Cell phone and wobbly wide web access are not as cheap as landline. Mine are limited and cost at least $200.00 per month.

I boondock as much as I possibly can. My cheapest month in the last three years was about $1300.00 and usually I spend about 1700.00.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
That past two years traveling all over the USA during several extended trips, we averaged less than $500 a month for campgrounds. Some free (not many) some discount with COE and NP pass, and some state parks. We do not 'scrimp', nor hide out in 'cheap' CG's either. We go where we want, see what we want, and have a good $$$ plan in place. We almost never go to private CG's nor do we stay at "resorts" ...

Good planning and research will allow you to enjoy what you want, and still keep a nice budget. Planning is the key, but I don't mean reservations ahead of time, I mean planning on where you go and what you see, and careful but realistic in your budget plans too.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Geocritter
Explorer
Explorer
Ever since my geological consulting business dried up about a year ago with the oil price collapse Iโ€™ve been living on about $1500 a month and have been having a wonderful time. Since November Iโ€™ve been living in southeastern Arizona where I came to enjoy the quail hunting down here (3 species in the area). My $400 space rental, while a little high, covers all utilities so that evens it out. A hunting buddy stayed at both the local Parker Canyon Lake SP and a campground in nearby Huachuca City and never paid more than $300/mo +electric which, augmented by his onboard solar wasnโ€™t much.

What kind of hunting do you like? I like upland bird hunting so I plan my fall/winter destinations to be in good bird hunting areas.

BTW since youโ€™re a smoker you can probably find an excellent deal on a used RV formerly owned by a smoker. Believe me, speaking as a non-smoker, an RV owned by a smoker is a real turn-off but it shouldnโ€™t bother you. Iโ€™m not being a nanny here, just a possible cost saving idea to think about when you go RV shopping. How do I know this? My current RV was formerly owned by a heavy smoker and I spent 3 solid days dumping buckets of orange/brown water while cleaning the cabinets, walls, ceiling and carpet. Three years later I can still smell stale tobacco smoke on a humid day.

Steve

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Since you are taking SS at 62 in case of an early check out I recommend something 10 years old vs new or near new. Stay away from the resorts and get by on 30a. Maybe even some off-grid camping out near your hunting spot. Less rent leaves more for eating well and having fun. Good luck.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We were downsized from our jobs at 52 years and we successfully full-timed for 16 years, traveling constantly. We never paid nearly $1000/m for a RV site. There are many places for $300-$400/m and if you like public parks - even cheaper. Of course, if you want to stay in upscale parks then, yes, you'll pay a lot more.

You could also volunteer in national parks, state parks and other public campgrounds and get a free site.

You can learn to boondock, especially out West, on lovely national forest lands or BLM lands.

There are many ways to save money. Hope you succeed in the new lifestyle!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum, ignore the nanny advice as I am certain you're intelligent enough to know the risks and enjoy the life you choose. You can do much better than a thousand a month and be comfortable.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before jumping into it, I suggest you buy something used and inexpensive such as a travel trailer and used truck. Do some traveling and explore different types of campgrounds and discover first hand what the going rates are and the plusses and minuses of different campgrounds, both private and public. You will also learn what "things" you really want to have with you, and what you can do without. Establish what kind of expenses you will average for a week on the road. After that, selling a used trailer and truck should not end up costing you too much, and then you may have a better idea of what you want to have for full-timing. For starters, I think a fifth wheel and a truck can be more economical and easier to work on if you do any of your own work....but I only have personal experience with travel trailers and trucks. But, coaches are nice and it's easy to pull a small car which can be more economial to drive daily rather than a truck.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Dano1955
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. Yes 2oldman I've been told to quit since I started when I was 12. And I have, a thousand times. I don't think 1001 or 1100 will make a difference. Anyway won't be going into Cali, I'm a hunter and will be taking my gun safe with me, contains both rifles and handguns. If needs be I'll map a course around any of the "anti-gun" states.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forum.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
You know, like every thing, prices vary. If you go to Southern California, if you stay in Palm Springs, $1000+, but if you go 50 miles south to Slab City, you can stay for free. So its all relative. Around me, on the ocean you can find some parks for under $400 a month, but you have to like the rain.
Have you ever done any RVing. It isn't for everyone. Some find them very claustrophobic. Some folks, like my better half, are pack rats and can't bear to part with anything. RVs get full quick.
Also RVs go from cheaply made to custom made. The cheap ones will give you more trouble than they are worth, so ask around and buy the best you can afford. The unfortunate thing with RVs is they depreciate. When you go out looking for your perfect RV, you will see a lot of low mileage vehicles. We saw one last week, a 2015 with less than 5000 miles, the gentleman bought a small Class A, and then didn't like it and traded it in for a truck and TT. He must have lost money on that deal.
If you haven't RVed before, I would really suggest renting one for at least a week to see if you really like the lifestyle.
What ever you decide, welcome to the forum, come back and ask all the questions that you can think of, these guys are great.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Might reach $1,000 a month if you choose a fancy RV resort in a very popular area. But besides work-camping gigs, there are lots of less expensive places. Get yourself the Federal Senior Interagency Pass (at age 62, it's $10 and lasts forever. It will get you half-price camping at lots and lots of National Park, Forest Service, BLM, COE and other campgrounds. Some of these do have electricity and water for as little as $8-$10 a night. And if you don't insist on having both every night, and can go for a few days on batteries and your fresh water tank, you can Boondock for free for a few days before hitting one of those campgrounds to recharge both batteries and water tank.

BLM lands at Quartzite, you can camp for about 7 months for a total of $180. So consider that $1,000 figure the Gold Plated plan.