Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Vehicle for Towing

AlandleeAdventu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
This is my first time posting though I have sought your expertise many times via google searches. We have a 1985 Jayco J-Series 1008SG Pop-up that we aren’t currently able to tow (it was handed down to us, and our towing vehicle was totaled in snow and ice over the winter). We have a small car and a van, but our Honda Odyssey is 16 years old and already on a second transmission. We are in the market for a used vehicle that can safely tow our pop-up through the mountains AND fit two adults and two small children in car seats. We live in Western PA so we have to scale some serious hills to go anywhere. The Jayco says it’s only 1000 lbs, but when I research towing options it seems like even those with towing capacities of 3500 may not handle the load well on hills, especially since the trailer doesn’t have brakes. I (mom) will sometimes need to tow without my husband along so I want to feel really safe while towing.
What can you recommend that is best for hauling this trailer and our two small children?
Thank you!
11 REPLIES 11

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
So balance between soccer mobile and towing a popup.
Most 6cyl midsize SUV’s or minivans are the ticket. Depends whether you want to be seen in what your driving or not, lol.
4 Runner and Jeep GC are probably the only 2 traditional 4x4s with low range.
6 cyl 8 speed Jeep GCs are cheap, comparatively, and get decent mileage. Rented one, low 20s mpg. Plenty of giddy up and heavy stable chassis.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Anything you like with about 3500 pound tow rating should be good for a popup. I also recommend something with a turbocharged engine which will keep engine speed low and comfortable, especially for any mountains you may drive to.

I love my 2017 Subaru Outback. The 2020+ has a 2.4L turbo option.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can also look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee or the smaller Cherokee with the V-6. You can also consider the Durango. Even the Pacifica minivan can tow that small PuP without issue. But if you want something can tow a bit larger PuP in the future then go with something with a 5k lb tow limit.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

AlandleeAdventu
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you! We will look at Honda Pilots and Toyota Highlanders for the moment. Not having any luck finding a V8 4Runner although that would be great to have. We really want to tow our camper again but we don’t camp enough to really need a big truck on the regular. This will also be my primary kid-schlepping car so I don’t want it to guzzle more gas than necessary. We were hopeful that a Subaru Outback or something would suffice but with all the steep grades locally I think you’re right that an SUV is best.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Budget and overall use/preference need to be considered before any recommendations can be made.
Everything from a new 1 ton crew cab diesel to a 16 year old mid size suv/mini van with low miles and a good service record will tow a small pop up camper safely.

And even once you state your budget and preference, opinions will vary wildly.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lwiddis wrote:
Buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle to it. Think max tow weight capability and max payload.

?? She has the camper stated in her first post...

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
PA requires trailer brakes at GVWR of 3000# and above.
1000 dryweight pop up probably has a 2000# GVWR limited by its axle, likely on 12" wheels, 13" if you're lucky.
Almost any vehicle rated to tow can handle that trailer. It will likely only have a flat 4 pin electrical lighting connection. If it has more pins, it would only be to charge a coach battery if it has one.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used 2008 Lexus GX470 (4.7L V8) in 2015, and I've been towing steadily with it for work and play. It's holding up well would tow a popup easily. If you find a Toyota 4Runner with the V8 (it was optional some years), that's basically the same vehicle. Really a V6 would handle it, but if you want more power the V8 has it.

On the V6 side, another newer Oddy van would work, or a Pilot. Or a Toyota Highlander or a bunch of other SUVs and minivans. A crew cab pickup would do it, of course.

Take a look under the trailer, back behind the wheel. If the axle has a square backer plate with some holes, that's a plate where a brake kit can be mounted. If not, for maybe $500-$800 you still could replace the axle with one that has brakes. It's not impossible.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy or select the trailer first, then match a tow vehicle to it. Think max tow weight capability and max payload.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Honda Pilot would be perfect for that setup.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Way back when we had two kids and a popup, we pulled it with a Ford crown vic. It was rear wheel drive and V8. After that we used a 2 door explorer and that didn't do as good a job as the crown vic.