cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie question re towing a Jeep Commander

FredandMicheleE
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my wife and I are brand new to truck camping but have decided to jump on in. We have a 2007 F-250 Lariat 4WD 6.0 Diesel that has a factory installed heavy duty towing package that will be carrying a 2011 Travel Lite 875 pop up. I have seen several threads about towing a vehicle and am confused about the best and safest way to do it. Some have mentioned a dolly and others mentioned something called 'free towing.' Can anyone give me any advice on the best options for pulling my Jeep? I'm a complete newbie at this so don't think you are talking down to me...I'll welcome any and all advice.

Fred

Moved to Dinghy Towing forum from Towing.

8 REPLIES 8

BigInIssaquah
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an FYI, I just had my 2008 Commander weighed at a transfer station and it would have been right at 4800# without me in it so you should be good on weight if you are worried about going over 5000#. But, mine is a sport model without the rear seats but I think you would be right at the limit, if your limit is 5000# on your RV

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Demco tow equipment is high quality.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

dkf435
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure your Commander is one of the ones that has a transfer case that will shift to neutral, 2 out of three do. Also a lot of people are having problems going into neutral after having the N23 recall done and need to have the trouble codes cleared from the computer before it will.

David

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Fill in your info into the blanks. After that be sure to read notes at top of page. Might help you, not sure exactly what your looking for. http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

FredandMicheleE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks sch911. I'll treat for coffee or whatever cold drink you like if our paths ever cross. ๐Ÿ™‚
Fred

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a Grand Cherokee with a Blue Ox Adventa tow bar and a Blue OX baseplate.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

FredandMicheleE
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice sch911. I'll head over to the Dingy Towing Forum and browse. I looked up information on the tow bar etc. and found several manufacturers. The Etrailer site seemed to recommend the road master. Would you have any suggestions as to type or would I find that in the Dingy Towing forum? Thanks again, Fred

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
If the Commander is a 4 X 4 you should flat tow it 4 wheels down with the transfer case in "N". Look into a tow bar, baseplate, and toad braking system. The owners manual will explain how to do it, look for the section entitled "Recreational Towing". Also, the Dingy Towing forum can be your friend.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad