cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No winter home for rodents

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
With the season nearing the end, we were talking at the campfire of keeping rodents out. Someone mentioned piles of cedar chips throughout the trailer. I live on thickly wooded property, where mice, chipmunks and squirrels love to frolic about......has anyone tried cedar chips? Other then Bounce sheets any other great tricks?
18 REPLIES 18

NiasWagn
Explorer
Explorer
We also use Fresh Cab with a lot of success. I would recommend buying it at your local hardware store (over the RV dealer) or Amazon as you'll get it a lot cheaper.
2012 F-150 EB 3.73
2014 Forest River 25RR
2004 GL1800
2014 Texas Healer with wet nose named Molly

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
I got three Chocolate Lab/Australian Shepered mix. Papers with both clubs on both of them. The kids are serious. They'll eat a coyote or a squirrel. Very intelligent but caged at nine months and eager ti run. /Respond to commands. Put one ofthese on a leash long enough to cover the entire undercarriae plus some.
They are all black and double coats.

Will your dog's be around the 5er/TT, 24/7 ? I don't want to let my 5er set for a bit, open it up and find mice have already made a home.....heck, years ago, we had a Yorkshire Terrier that reeked havoc on a whole family of mice, wiped out the whole lot of them in about 3 mins...never seen anything like it and there are a lot of cats bigger than that Yorkie...he had papers too, but don't know what that has to do with anything:h..he could get into places that bigger dogs couldn't get into:)....

All that being said, the peppermint on cotton balls and placed strategically located throughout the unit along with the bags of Fresh Cab also put in various places, (put some in the ductwork of the furnace where the vent is... kept our unit mouse free for a while now.
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I got three Chocolate Lab/Australian Shepered mix. Papers with both clubs on both of them. The kids are serious. They'll eat a coyote or a squirrel. Very intelligent but caged at nine months and eager ti run. /Respond to commands. Put one ofthese on a leash long enough to cover the entire undercarriae plus some.
They are all black and double coats.

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Pure peppermint oil on cotton balls in little containers all throughout the moho. And, bags of Cab Fresh scattered about.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
I think pet stores sell cedar shavings as bedding?

My storage location is not too far from a nesting area for copperheads. Rattlesnakes and blacksnake also work to keep the rodent population down.

I'm a big, fat chicken of S..... (Can't even spell it) I'd rather take my chances with rodents lol

Kennedy64
Explorer
Explorer
I saw that Fresh Cab at a local RV store but knew nothing of it. Definitely going back to get it and I will let the cat to continue to patrol the trail where I'm parked. Thanks everyone appreciate the advice!!!!

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
midnightsadie wrote:
block all holes a must. but I use peppermint oil, and a product called kab clean the farmers use this in the equipt cab,s.

X2

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think pet stores sell cedar shavings as bedding?

My storage location is not too far from a nesting area for copperheads. Rattlesnakes and blacksnake also work to keep the rodent population down.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

rav
Explorer
Explorer
I use the pure peppermint oil. I place 3-4 cotton balls in a small container and place them around the MH. I put 2 in the bedroom, 2 in the bathroom, 1 in the toilet room, 2 in the kitchen, 1 under the dinette, 1 behind the passenger seat and 1 by the brake pedal.
I will put moth balls in a plastic container with holes in the lids and place them by each wheel, one in each cargo door, by the batteries and 1 by the motor. I cannot smell them in the camper.
I keep the camper plugged in all winter so I have 2 ultra-sonic devices in the coach, 1 in the back and 1 in the front. I also place one underneath the MH facing up so the ultra-sonic waves can bounce off the bottom of the MH.
When I winterize I will take everything out of the coach and give a good cleaning. I vacuum all the cabinets, carpet, etc. I also wipe out the cabinets with a household cleaner.
During the season the only things we remove is the dirty laundry and the dry food that could attract mice. The dog food, bread, chips, etc. I leave the MH plugged in all the time so I can run the fridge to keep beverages cold, we like to be able to leave as quickly as possible so we have it down to loading clothes and food.
I have done this the last 3 seasons with no signs of mice, the first 2 seasons was in our travel trailer and this year the MH.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
SH wrote:
I have mentioned this previously on rodent threads but Fresh Cab has worked quite well for us. Wife thinks it stinks but I kind of like it. Tried traps etc. but no critters after I put some of this around.

THATS IT!!!! Thanks, that's the "little baggie" that I was trying to describe. I think it smells really strong of cedar, wife put's them around 5er and with the peppermint oil, 5er smells great, even after 2 weeks of setting shut up..... and no mice:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

SH
Explorer
Explorer
I have mentioned this previously on rodent threads but Fresh Cab has worked quite well for us. Wife thinks it stinks but I kind of like it. Tried traps etc. but no critters after I put some of this around.

2001 Alpenlite 35RK
2007.5 Chev LMM Duramax/Allison
BD Variable Vane Turbo Brake
TST 507
2010 FLHTC Electra Glide Classic Red Hot Sunglo ๐Ÿ™‚

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
block all holes a must. but I use peppermint oil, and a product called kab clean the farmers use this in the equipt cab,s.

Same here:)....They really don't like the peppermint oil and you get a "two for"...the smell also is nice inside the 5er....Wife purchased something that has a REALLY strong odor of cedar, but not cedar...it's in a small bag....between the peppermint and whatever is in that little bag, we've had ZERO mice inside of our 5er for 2 yrs now....We've also sealed any holes that they might be able to get into the camper by, but, been doing that for about 4 yrs and they could still get in...since the peppermint oil and the REALLY strong cedar smell in the small baggie, we've been mice free last 2 yrs:)
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I second the cat. Nothing like a farm cat with a big, fat rat in its mouth to show that he is doing his job at keeping the RV vermin free.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II