cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noob Refrig Question

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first year with our RV (Class B). I'm wondering about what others do about their refrigerator when they're not using it. I know through winter storage, etc to turn it off, clean it out and leave the door open. But once camping season starts but you're not using it full time when the rig sits for a week or two between uses, do you leave the unit plugged in and the refrigerator running on AC with condiments, etc left there for the next trip? Or is this two hard on a small 3-way frig - i.e. should you clean it our and shut it off to give it a rest?
13 REPLIES 13

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
There is an excellent write up on RV fridges at RV Doctor. This part suggests that the leading cause of failure depends on time in operation and humidity. This makes me think turning off the fridge when not in use will prolong its lifetime.

Though a blocked percolator tube is but one cause of rendering a cooling unit faulty, by far the largest cause of unit failure today is due to leaks in the tubing, especially in those areas imbedded in the polyurethane foam block which surrounds the evaporator sections. It’s been estimated that as many as 85% of cooling unit failures are due to leaks in these areas. Here’s why.

Cooled tubing within the refrigerator attracts moisture in the form of condensation. This moisture envelopes the tubing and is typically retained there because the insulating foam prohibits it from being evaporated. A rust pocket develops and eventually a leak or crack appears. The hydrogen inside the unit is pressurized to over 300 PSI, so any small rusted area is likely to rupture at some point, especially under that kind of pressure. The tiniest of cracks simply cannot hold back the internal pressure behind those small hydrogen molecules. When cracks do occur in visible sections, though infrequently, a yellowish residue will be present and the wondrous odor of ammonia will be quite evident. If ammonia is detected when the refrigerator door is opened, it's time for a new cooling unit. Any crack or leak in the tubing renders the unit inoperable and replacement is, once again, a mandate.

http://www.rvdoctor.com/2001/02/rv-absorption-refrigeration-cooling.html
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
I've had mine on for the last couple of months. I always wanted a locking fridge in the garage so I could put stuff in there that I didn't want to be gone when I got home from work. Then I thought of my trailer. It's been wonderful! 🙂
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Just an energy saving question for me. I do not leave it on, unless I plan to use it. Couple days before we pull out, I will pre-cool by filling it with some ice packs, water, etc... Then start loading it up.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
absorption fridges don't have any moving parts to wear out.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
People who full-time in their RV never shut their's off. Just sayin...
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go many years without shutting mine off . Like swamprat01 , we never know when the urge to take off will strike . My clothes , food , bikes , kayaks, fishing gear and several hundred books are all on standby !

KrowNB
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your replies everyone! Seems about 50/50 whether to leave it on or off. May main concern about the strain on the little fridge seems to unjustified.

Keith

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine plugged in and running, I keep mine packed with food, clothing etc.I never know when the mood will hit me to head for the woods.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If not using it for 2 days or more, I turn it off, clean it out, and leave it open.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
I turn ours off between use simply because there's no point in paying for energy - either propane gas or electricity - to keep the darned thing running when we're not using it.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
How you use it is up to you and how you camp.

Only issue........make sure RV is level anytime fridge is turned ON.

SO that may help you decide whether or not to leave fridge on or off.

ON EDIT: WHY LEVEL

RV absorption fridges use gravity to help in the flow of coolant/gas/anti-rust inhibitor during operation.

Off level operation disrupts the gravity flow which can result in overheating....overheating causes inhibitor to form crystals which will plate on on inside of tubing causing more restrictions/more overheating issues/more plating out.......DEATH to a cooling unit.

And this damage can occur in as short a time as 20 mins of off level operation. Damage is accumulative and permanent.

What about when in transit.....traveling with fridge on??
OK. The motion of vehicle (side to side rocking, bouncing, rolling) keeps coolant flowing so overheating of coolant doesn't occur.
But then you pull off on side of road/tilted shoulder for rest break/lunch etc. NOW overheating can happen due to lack of motion and RV being off level.

LEVEL........
Reasonably level. If comfortable to walk/sit/sleep then OK.
In other words..you know when RV is off level.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
X-2 leave it on

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing wrong with leaving it on. It should be sitting level though. I'm not sure why - just the advice I've read on here. Maybe someone can expand on that.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS