cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obbessive Compulsive Dumpers?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a big deal and no offense meant but more amusing I guess. Like I sometimes notice do you ever get behind someone at the dump station that seems a bit compulsive. They seem to have all sorts of "accessories" to clean or something and take a long time fooling around with the process. A relative has this thing called a "macerator" which he things is wonderful but I can't, for the life of me, understand why I would need one. I pull up, whip out the sewer hose, fasten and pull the handle. Takes about 4 minutes.
Jayco-noslide
116 REPLIES 116

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I would give my lifetime achievement award to a pair of French couples I saw in a rental RV. I was in line behind them at a National Park, out west. A guy gets out at the dump station, puts the drain hose on and proceeds to grip it like he is a fireman, with bare hands. He pulls the handles and lets it rip. The sewage is spraying everywhere. He is in a semi-squat as he attempts to direct most of the flow toward the drain hole. That part was insanely entertaining, but it got better. He then takes the rinse hose and runs it through his waste hose, vigorously sliding it in and out to clean the inside, until he is satisfied that the inside of the slinky is clean. Now there is waste splatted in a five foot radius at this point, including, obviously, his shoes and lower pants, so wanting a surgically clean hose is curious. Next, for the win, he pulls the cap off the fresh water tank fill, and fills his tank with the same hose he just rinsed his sewer hose with. During this stunning event there have been a total of four people from the camper, standing at the rear of the RV, chatting away like everything is just fine. In a few minutes water is bubbling out of the fill. He takes his filthy, sewage tainted hand and reattaches the fill cap. He then heads for the drivers seat without cleaning his shoes, the poop strewn area he created, or his hands.

I doubt I'll ever top watching that event.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Now, we just have to add dumping while camping in a Walmart parking lot to really spice up this thread!

I always dig and bury my number 2s, but need a pick axe to get thru the walmart blacktop parking lot.
bumpy

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
Now, we just have to add dumping while camping in a Walmart parking lot to really spice up this thread!

More fun to hold up the line at the campground. For some.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I take pride in how little time it takes me to dump. I have it planned to a tee and I don't bother with getting every last drop out of each tank.
Takes me about 4~5 minutes and I'm pulling away.

As stated earlier, you can cut that time in half by not using the hose. :S

cross21114
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I take pride in how little time it takes me to dump. I have it planned to a tee and I don't bother with getting every last drop out of each tank.
Takes me about 4~5 minutes and I'm pulling away.

This topic sounds a lot like boat ramp complaints. Talk about fun - take a cooler full of beer and a lawn chair and watch boat ramp follies!
Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to believe that anyone who had to wait in a long line to dump would be sensitive to the situation when they're in front. But, I don't think people are programmed that way in this era of 'I Got Mine'. In fact, I think waiting long only justifies taking more time than you normally would, compounding the problem.

I see a service for RVers who weren't brought up to respect others. I'll go get an old pump truck (known locally as a Kucka Sucka) and cruise the campgrounds. I'd just have to careful not to suck out anyone's brains.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Obsess and compulse all you like. I do not get in line anymore unless I am next.
Same here. I'll carry it to the next dump availability.

I've seen lines at Quartzsite that would be at least an hour's wait. I don't know how they do it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
Crowd avoidance is the name of the game in our RV travels - that includes dump station lines.
good plan.. and don't ever go to a Flying J at 11am!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We rarely have any crowd problem at dump stations because we pick times to go to them when most likely others won't be there.

It's not rocket science ... think about the time windows when others will be at the dump station(s) and don't be there then. This a better approach than sitting there in a line and having to tolerate various dumping styles. Crowd avoidance is the name of the game in our RV travels - that includes dump station lines.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I put slow time wasters into the same category as the guy who thinks you need to listen to his music. The guy that is pulling into his spot at night and has his headlights pointing directly at you while you're sitting outside for 10 mins.
The same guy that lets his dog run thru your campsite. The same guy who runs his contractor gen for 5 hours.
I put them all in the same rude "all about me" group. It just seems that politeness has gone the way of rudeness. I think some people just have a chip on their shoulder and need to have a power trip everyday. I think they're basically unhappy people and want others to feel unhappy as well.
End of rant. If I offended anyone, too bad this is my rant and I can rant however I want. 🙂

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Obsess and compulse all you like. I do not get in line anymore unless I am next.

And don't worry... if you pull up behind me I will immediately stop flushing and fussing and get on with dump and go.

ericsmith32
Explorer
Explorer
I don't mind waiting for anyone at the dump station as long as they're doing the job. Always something to be done around the RV might as well do it while waiting. My gpa never used gloves and neither have I, I've touched way more disgusting stuff growing up on the farm! I dump the black and when it's done then start the grey. While it's going hookup the flush hose. Never timed myself.. I do have my 5 and 9 sons help so can go a bit quicker. The clear elbow always leads to interesting discussions.
2005 Jayco Escapade 28ZSLP (3500 Chevy chassis)

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Another me versus them thread. "I" can take all the time I want, and I do notice that it is making you angry, or "We" can get this necessary chore done expeditiously and get on down the road. I learned long ago that I do not like to wait in line or make others wait on me.

ctilsie242
Explorer II
Explorer II
One dump story I had:

I was at a CG (FHU), and was doing laundry in the afternoon. Noticed someone with a class "B" at the dump station. Next laundry cycle, when I was moving clothes from the washer to the dryer and rewashing underwear, they were still there. Then, I went and dumped in my sheets and towels. Yep, same Roadtrek, with someone still dumping/rinsing, with a line getting longer and longer, with someone periodically just driving off out of frustration. I dumped my towels in the dryer... yep, same guy. Finally, the sun was going down, I was walking away with my last batch of towels after making sure the washers/dryers I used were empty, did the guy finally drive off.

I would say he took about 5-6 hours. For a class "B". The worst for me at FHU with a RV with two 42 gallon tanks, when I dump, fill, and re-dump the tanks might be 30-45 minutes, and I only do that at my own site, so I don't waste other people's time. If I am at FHU and doing a complete sanitization, where I dump the bleach water into both the black/gray tanks, it might be 1-2 hours at most.