cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obbessive Compulsive Dumpers?

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
This isn't a big deal and no offense meant but more amusing I guess. Like I sometimes notice do you ever get behind someone at the dump station that seems a bit compulsive. They seem to have all sorts of "accessories" to clean or something and take a long time fooling around with the process. A relative has this thing called a "macerator" which he things is wonderful but I can't, for the life of me, understand why I would need one. I pull up, whip out the sewer hose, fasten and pull the handle. Takes about 4 minutes.
Jayco-noslide
116 REPLIES 116

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
shelbyfv wrote:
Surely most of us understand that if there are folks waiting in line, we forego the extra fills and rinses. Simple courtesy and common sense.

"Most" being the key word. Appears even here on rvnet there are some self centered folks who can't be knocked off their own clock long enough to realize that some people don't relish making a day at the dump station one of the attractions on their vacation.

To those folks, it's ok if dumping and polishing the inside of your tank is the funnest thing you're looking forward to that day or maybe just trying to get away from the ole ball n chain for a few extra minutes. I understand, however, there are people that still have some courtesy and you are not one of them.

I like the newspaper and lawn chair deal. I got out, popped a beer and leaned back against the truck watching a tank polisher once. Didn't seem to phase him.......
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
languiduck wrote:
II just can't wrap my head around RVers pooping in a tank that has to be drained and cleaned by someone every few days.
Yeah, I wouldn't do that either, but that's not true. I have tanks that are large enough to require dumping only every 2 or 3 weeks. And don't stink. And I don't "clean" them, ever.

Some just hate the thought of actually doing the dumping, some hate the thought of carrying around a tank of waste. The aversion comes in lots of forms.

Myself, I find it much more convenient to do my business at home.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
I've found life is much easier, cleaner, and smells nicer if we don't use a blackwater tank and take an easy walk with lysol wipes to the CG potty. I don't do blackwater anymore. If I'm in the woods I walk out and dig a hole. I just can't wrap my head around RVers pooping in a tank that has to be drained and cleaned by someone every few days.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
We all have our crosses to bear. For some, it's slow people in the dump line. For others, it's listening to the complaining about it.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Some posters are taking things way out of context. I'm not advocating controlling anyone, nor am I rinsing my tanks 3 times, making a sandwich, or putting on my germ suit. Again - hypotheticals.

I'm simply doing what I need to do at the dump station as expeditiously as I can because I can't do it anywhere else. Sorry, but I'm not going into hurry up mode because your sitting there drumming your fingers on the wheel 2 minutes after I start. It takes as long as it takes - as the Mod previously stated.

But at least TomG2 avoids people who make him mad and finds another way to live life on his schedule. But thinking that someone is showing control over him is a bit on the Paranoid side - IMO of course... 😛

Giving people the benefit of the doubt makes life easier to live.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I think the funniest dump station "situation" I've been part of occurred last winter at Silver Springs State Park in Florida. I pulled into the dump station behind a coach very similar to ours that was just hooking up to dump. Several other rigs started lining up behind us. In less than 10 minutes, the rig in front of me finished up and pulled away, and I moved up. As I exited the coach and started to hook up, a fellow from the back of the line walked up and started yelling at me about sitting there for 10 minutes before even starting to dump. I pretty much ignored him and kept going, but the fellow from the rig behind me came up to see what the fuss was about, and started in on the first fellow, trying to explain about the two similar rigs. But the first fellow just continued yelling, so I finished up dumping in my usual 6-8 minutes, and prepared to leave. As I pulled away, the two of them were still standing there yelling at each other, while the dump station sat empty... :R 🙂
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I cross connect the tanks through the valves as follows. Word of caution - make sure the hose clamp holding the hose to the dump fitting is tight.

Lift up the slinky, open the grey drain, open the black drain, when I see the swirling stop on the clear dump fitting, I close the black, close the grey and put the slinky down.

I do the same as a quick flush when dumping. Just leave the black dump valve open when you put the slinky down.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some of you expressed concerns about mixing grey/black tanks if the grey is full and you still have black capacity.

I sometimes do it this way: Use a bucket I carry along. Fill it with grey water by carefully and partially opening the grey dump valve with the bucket under it. Walk into the RV's toilet area, press the toilet's bowl emptying valve (with the water pump turned off), and dump the bucket into the toilet.

Repeat as required to keep drycamping longer until the black tank is full - as indicated by an accurate black tank meter or by looking through the toilet bowl emptying valve opening with a flashlight to physically see how full the black tank is.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
I've always followed the instructions on flushing the tanks. If near full doesn't take long otherwise takes ten minutes or a bit more. One reason I don't like to stay at Parks with only a dump station.
When we do I try to be there early or when there are few or no one else there.
The world doesn't revolve around me or anyone and it takes what it takes to flush them.
I keep my wet bay spotless and tanks well flushed when it is needed. I get impatient like everyone else but unless they are doing dumb things taking others time, well... it is what it is. Stay at a park with full hookups.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
Surely most of us understand that if there are folks waiting in line, we forego the extra fills and rinses. Simple courtesy and common sense.

You would think so, wouldn't you. On the other hand, I sat in line behind a woman in a busy gas station last week while she went inside and came out fifteen minutes later finishing off a sandwich then pulled away without one gallon of gasoline. Apparently she liked parking in the shade of the pump awning without regard for others. I was pulling my trailer and blocked in so that changing pumps was not an easy option. Some on here will probably tell me that she was within her "rights" to treat the rest of the world like dirt. I hope I never get behind her at the dump station. The truth is, I won't, because I park with full hookups or dump when there is nobody in line either in front of or behind me.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
DryCreek wrote:

Back when we had our '74 Terry trailer, that was our goal. Back then they came stock with only one tank. If there was a park toilet handy, it got "the big stuff", but we wouldn't shy away from using the onboard toilet if necessity outweighed practicality. With a single tank and a long weekend it could get "aromatic" in a hurry.

I do kinda' miss that our last RV (Fleetwood Terry Quantum fiver) also had a galley tank. Our Class A is grey/black only.

ETA - come to think of it, I think at least two of our other campers only had a single tank for everything - a 1967 13' Shasta Ultralight and the 1982 15' SunLite.

I had a '73 Terry with separate systems for black and grey, with a black tank, but no grey tank. You had to use a blue tote for grey water. No idea if that was the stock setup or not--that trailer also had a metal pressure tank for fresh water.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
If I get stuck behind a guy that fusses around like that, I usually pull out a folding chair and grab the morning newspaper. He usually will get the message and speed it up.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
DryCreek wrote:
come to think of it, I think at least two of our other campers only had a single tank for everything - a 1967 13' Shasta Ultralight and the 1982 15' SunLite.
Don't want the shower backing up!

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
TomG2 wrote:
Lantley wrote:
If I need the added capacity. I deliberately let my tanks mix.
THere is always more room in the black tank. So I will let the full grey tank drain, mix, equalize with the black tank to create more space in the grey tank. I can often get another days usage or a couple of extra showers that way.

I hope you never find yourself standing in brown water in the shower because you miscalculated. I often park where dumping gray water is allowed and I hope my neighbors don't adopt this "combined" method of storing waste water. On the other hand, I suppose the manufacturers could save money by providing a single larger tank for those that prefer this method.

I guess it could happen but generally the grey tank will be totally full when I let it dump into the black. THe grey water pressure helps keep it a one way operation. I hope!
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide