cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Observations from the road

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We are out and about for the first time since the outbreak of Covid.

There seems to be double the number of trucks on the road. Those truckers have a lot of places to shut it down for the night fuel and eat. They need more places to rest for the night or to just take a break.

Campgrounds are plentiful but reservations are best even if made just a few hours before arrival.

The price of fuel is up.

This is a beautiful country.
15 REPLIES 15

dedmiston
I'm sorry to say that your observations have brought out too many incendiary responses and I need to close the discussion.

I'm quoting you here to give you the last word in a way will hopefully unite us instead of dividing us.

bgum wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
At least from Boston to Knoxville the rest stops are overflowing with 18 wheelers even in the day. Don't know about nights as we use campgrounds and don't travel after dark. The farther west from Boston you go the more the price of fuel drops.

As far as some comments to the original post some simply don't know the facts and simply do not have the personality that inspires confidence. Those individuals would be better suited to other forums.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
bgum wrote:

There seems to be double the number of trucks on the road. Those truckers have a lot of places to shut it down for the night fuel and eat. They need more places to rest for the night or to just take a break.

Campgrounds are plentiful but reservations are best even if made just a few hours before arrival.

The price of fuel is up.

By "trucks" you are meaning "freight, tank, 18 wheelers, ect"?

Right now, truckers are in high demand to move enough backlog freight that has been piling on at the docks. So it is reasonable that you would see a lot of "trucks" running 24/7 and even that is not fast enough to prevent inbound freight having to sit off shore in the harbors.

Something else to consider, most truckers get paid by the mile, if they are not moving, they are not getting paid. That means they tend to drive as long as they have available driving hrs and then must take a certain amount of hrs off to rest..

Summary of Federal commercial drivers rules.. HERE

Don't think I have ever seen a commercial trucker stop and rest at a campground but they often pull off the road and rest in parking lots..

Prices of fuel tend to go up whenever there is a huge demand or some sort of shortage for the demand.. Latest news reports seem to pin the prices on demand is up from more folks traveling now and in big cities much less mass transit riders.

And yes, we are blessed with a big beautiful country!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rlw999 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Let's please keep this about RVing.

No mask debates and no vax fights.

A couple of y'all missed this admonition and got deleted.

Please re-read and please don't get this thread shut down.

You can't really leave an anti-mask post that also claims are "hit and miss" and not expect people to respond. If you don't want this thread to become another mask+vaccine debate thread, you'll need to take down or edit *all* of the mask+vaccine debate posts.

Easy there bud....I'm sure there's a moderator job open somewhere if you feel criticizing a volunteer job is worthwhile...

In other news, it's sorta disturbing that over a year and a half into this Covid thing, there are people who have just started going on about their "normal" lives again...

Fear is a strange motivator!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

You can't really leave an anti-mask post that also claims are "hit and miss" and not expect people to respond. If you don't want this thread to become another mask+vaccine debate thread, you'll need to take down or edit *all* of the mask+vaccine debate posts.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We RARELY make reservations. Last year and this year, both in September, we took a two week trip. No reservations to the Yellowstone, GTNP areas. Jockeyed for a spot at two campgrounds in 2020, but not this year. Got spots straight away.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
We just wrapped up a couple of months on the road. From the west to the midwest, then south, across the southwest & home. Found most CGs filled up with overnighters, So I was glad I had made reservations.
We didn't hit any real touristy places like amusement parks, but things did seem busy at the places we did stop, but when compared to last year, attendance has increased. To me the truck count seemed about the same as previous trips. Fuel prices were higher in the west, lowest in the south. Despite what the media (both social and other) wants you to think, this country still has a lot of good people. All in all a good trip. As soon as we can, we will be back out there.

dedmiston
dedmiston wrote:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am 80+ and put 12,000mi on my DP during covid but have sat still for 5 months now except for a couple of 200mi trips but getting ready to roll. I wore a mask when I had to only, got shots + booster and now don't worry about it. The end of the road gets closer every day so I'll just keep on going as long as I can.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am 75 and still take very frequent fishing, mountain hiking and camping trips and still young at heart, fully vaccinated and taking my statins therefore I am not a member of the grumpy old farts club. Cheers to the brave.

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're "Most Timers" spending approx 10 Months in the RV and haven't changed our routine much even with Covid around. As already said, your time here is limited and you need to make the best of it you can.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
bgum wrote:

People are not wearing masks and are not practicing safe distances.

The price of fuel is up.

Truth is. People have learned. Masks really do nothing, and the vax is hit and miss. I just got out of the hospital with a sever case of covid, and yes I was fully vaxed. It did no good. Absolutely NO GOOD.

Here is how it is. If you are going to get it, you are going to get it, and there is nothing you can do about it. A person needs to do what ever they think will help them stay safe. Take the vax if you think it will help, wear a mask if you think it will help. Do what YOU "think" is best for you. But be advised. The hospitals are full of fully vaxed covid victims. I know I was one. not only did I have the vaccine, but also the infusion. Now I face MONTHS of recovery. So do what you think you need to do. But realize you still have the same chance of getting covid, as you did before you did anything.

Best thing to do. Get out, and live your life. Don't sit home and hide from something that no one has any control over. All you do is waste what time you have here. God is the only protection you really have.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Not disagreeing with anything but... reservations have been brutal. My favorite spot at Assateague SP in Maryland I normally would have a day or 2 to reserve when the reservation window opened a year before. Now I had seconds. Similar problems with a few other parks. ๐Ÿ™‚

X2 on a beautiful country

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)