cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oh no,....it's happening!!!

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
Was on my way home from work last evening and came across a TT combo sitting at a gas station that grabbed my attention. It was a Chevy Tahoe towing what looked to be a 36' TT. Both were of the early 2000's vintage. Despite having a WD hitch in place, this thing was sitting ugly. The rear tires were stuffed way up in the wheel wells and the rear leaf springs (if there are any on a Tahoe) had to be laying flat or worse. And, of source, you could see the gear piled high in the back of the Tahoe as well. Wow, talk about a bumper dragger. I wish I had snapped a picture. Anyways, to get to my point, I was offended. There was a time that I would notice such things and not give them much of a second thought. After being a regular on the forums for a while now, my thoughts immediately turn to toungue weight, GVWR, etc and I think of the safety of my own family sharing the road with "train wrecks waiting to happen" like this. After a bit more thought, I started to shake my head in disbelief as I realized they've probably been doing it this way for years judging by the nearly identical ages of their towing combination. Can it be true? Am I really becoming one of the "weight police". Dear god, please no. Just shoot me now itf that is the case...
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.
23 REPLIES 23

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a Tahoe fan ('01, '07 and now '15) and no way should a Tahoe being towing a 36 foot TT. Owner is irresponsible and unsafe. Just looking he/she should know this.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years driving OTR in a big rig(semi) I have seen many rigs were the tail was waging the dog going down the road...

At times passing a setup like above you could see the person driving fighting the wheel to keep it on the road, at times I have to tell you I was scared to pass them for fear the driver would loose control.

Even when pulling our 5th wheel and I come across one of these unsafe setups I get scared passing them an I don't have near the air wash that I had in the semi when passing Ugh double Ugh !

Safe travels

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We're over here in Jetty Park for a few days. Worst campground we've stayed in yet. Yesterday we saw an older Tundra pull in with a 30' plus travel trailer. Caught my attention as it's off brand hitch was groaning and popping. Rear suspension had to be bottomed out. Trailer nose down even with WD. I didn't chastise him like a child as he was a grown man but I sure wouldn't tow with such a rig.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
SparkDr wrote:
Can it be true? Am I really becoming one of the "weight police". Dear god, please no. Just shoot me now itf that is the case...

I'm a member and proud of it. Welcome to the club.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
One day some kid was running up and down and up and down my street on a LOUD 2-cycle dirt bike. I was having thoughts of going out there and chewing him out, but at the last minute I stopped and thought "holy cow what's happened to me? I should be going out there to check out his bike and give him a beer!!"
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

SparkDr
Explorer
Explorer
Love the responses so far. All are witty and clever in their own way. Nicely done. Keep them coming!
May the Mods grant me the serenity to accept the opinions of those I cannot change,
the courage to offer input to those who are open to another way of thinking,
and the wisdom to shut up whenever I get too caught up in my own misconceived brilliance.

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
SparkDr wrote:
Am I really becoming one of the "weight police". Dear god, please no. Just shoot me now if that is the case...

Your brain is finally thinking critically. As we get older we get slower but wiser.
If you send $10.00 to me in Nigeria I will make sure you get your OFFICIAL WEIGHT POLICE badge and secret decoder ring
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
fishin' must be slow around Lake George, NY.
Your sure to catch a mess on a rv web.

Generally weight police affliction can be treated with experience/education and time. Over time you may not have to be shot ๐Ÿ™‚
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Bang