cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil change

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
How many mile you drive pulling the FW before you change the synthetic engine oil?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023
43 REPLIES 43

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
pitch wrote:
I do my Ram at 5000 miles. The Oil Life Monitor means nothing. Mine reduce ten percent for every hundred miles, towing driving or rolling!

So your OLM comes on every 1,000 miles? I use mine, works great.

pitch
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do my Ram at 5000 miles. The Oil Life Monitor means nothing. Mine reduce ten percent for every hundred miles, towing driving or rolling!

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
A great many years ago, engine tolerances and oil performance improved and recommended oil change intervals for cars and light trucks were generally set at 7500 miles. Lots and lots of diehards kept with the old 3000 mile recommendations. Some still do. I used the 7500 mile recommendation. My Izuzu died when the A/T quit at 290K miles. I sold my CRV at 190K when I retired. The engine seemed to be perfect with almost no oil consumption.

Now my Ram uses synthetic oil and calls for changes at 15000 miles. I will follow that recommendation. Anyone who doubts the manufacturer's recommendations can have the oil tested or just change the oil much more frequently than needed. Your shop will be happy to do so.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
wnjj wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Well I did seize up my snowbike last year, but I lost all the oil out of it.

That's probably because you change it so often. You're bound to forget to torque the drain plug. ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

Awwww man.....thatโ€™s salt in the wound! Lol
At least it was only a cold sieze and didnโ€™t hurt any rotating parts.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Changing oil is obviously a personal choice, and just as obviously, it depends on personal interpretation of the owner's manual.

In my case, I change the oil every 5000 miles, regardless of what the OLM says. My owner's manual indicates the oil should be changed at 5000 to 7499 miles under severe use. My manual defines "severe" as Moderate to heavy hauling or towing, mountain or off road use, extended cold or hot weather operations. My 2014 truck has almost 69K miles on it already and over 50% of those miles has been towing. Also, since my 3.5L twin turbo engine is known to cause some oil dilution, I just change my oil at 5k miles. I've used Motorcraft semi-synthetic oil since the beginning.

Am I changing it too often? Maybe, but that's OK by me.

As mentioned, I drive a F150, 4x4, Supercab, 163" WB, with 3.5L EB & a 3.73 LS rear end.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

That's probably because you change it so often. You're bound to forget to torque the drain plug. ๐Ÿ˜‰ :B

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can tell it had Delo from the black streaks.

My 98 12Vโ€™s first 50k had delo. After I ran AMZ/OIL 15-40 Diesel Marine. I did the KILLER DOWEL PIN at 100k. The inside of the front had black streaks. At 120k we did my Dads 94. It was spotless ands golden color.

My Dad used AMZ/OIL from the first change on.

Does it matter? No idea but that is what Delo leaves behind.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
filrupmark wrote:
5000 miles for me .
Perfect.

That is all the OP wanted is to hear what you did.
No cross comments, justification or dispute of others.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

How many engines you had that spun a bearing or dropped a valve or any other number of catastrophic failures before their time to make you paranoid to send in oil samples?

Iโ€™ve driven more than 1.25 million miles since getting my license in 1977. Iโ€™ve had a variety of vehicles from some nice ones to some pretty crappy ones. I get a minimum of 150k out of a vehicle and either something else happens to the vehicle other than engine failure or one of my kids gets it.

I always follow manufacturers guidelines regarding maintenance. have never had an engine failure of any kind. Never. I can see no reason to do anything other than manufacturers guidelines, and since Iโ€™ve never had an engine failure, canโ€™t see testing my oil. It wouldnโ€™t change my maintenance habits.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Yeah that was a drunk post, sorry, but the message is the same....who cares....
And Iโ€™m not a metallurgist but Iโ€™m aware of all the things youโ€™re talking about. Just donโ€™t care. I guess if a person knew the engine was starting to go tits up from an oil analysis, then could sell it while it still ran well. Otherwise wouldnโ€™t you wait until there were symptoms before dropping the coin on a rebuild?
How many engines you had that spun a bearing or dropped a valve or any other number of catastrophic failures before their time to make you paranoid to send in oil samples?
Maybe Iโ€™m lucky but idk anyone else whoโ€™s blown a newer engine. Not all the miles Iโ€™ve driven. Is this a real problem or a solution looking for one?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
5000 miles for me .
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Eric n Lisa is spot on.
Who the he__ does oil analyses on their pickups? No one I've ever known does. No one I've ever know does on their cars has either. And I hang around with a bunch of gear heads. And I've moved like 10 times in the last 25 years so plenty of "friends " in plenty of places.
Only ever heard of it on the Internet. Even being in heavy civil construction 25 years. Never personally seen an oil sample go in. Except maybe trying to diagnose a condition on an expensive engine.
If you want to change your oil every weekend, every year, every 10k miles, who cares?
Chances are your car will run a long time unless you never change it.
Better to do it at 3k 5k? Probably.
Going to blow up if you change 10k? Probably not.
To add to Eric n Lisa post. 1/ 2 cent a mile or what $100 a year for a couple oil changes? That's like 1/1000th of my total expenditure a year. I spend waaaay more just on beer and Copenhagen. Is that more important than an oil change?
If so, don't change your oil, who cares. If not then change your oil, who cares.
I get beer chew and oil at the same time.......
How people can brag or argue or bitsch about a couple bucks a year is beyond me. Do you only eat beans and rice or do you eat steak and not change your oil? Who the f cares?

Well I for one do, you can change your oil every 5,000 miles and take it to the auto parts store to recycle. I simply place a small plastic vial in the drain stream while changing. I then fill out the form with the unit number, mileage and other information. Now days I can drop the container in any mail box as postage is prepaid.
What do I get that you don't have a clue about? Metals contamination, are my rings or bearings wearing too fast. Fuel dilution is my oil being thinned by fuel? Antifreeze in oil, is a head gasket failing?
I get a peek at that engine health every 10,000 miles, or right now six months. It is saving the cost of an oil change, it is using the earths resources wisely. Dino oil hasn't changed the additive packages have.
This is the inside of our 2001 Ram Cummins tappet gallery at 300,000 miles.

Delo 400?

Yep!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Eric_Lisa
Explorer II
Explorer II
(What follows is humor) :B

After reading this thread, I am beginning to wonder if this should be one of the rv.net forbidden topics. You know, the threads that get quickly whacked by the moderators. We could have politics, religion, guns, and motor oil all on the naughty list. LOL!

(And now an on-topic comment)

I 100% completely agree with what several people have said, and what I alluded to in my first post on this subject... This really is an individual choice. Go with what works best for you, your situation, and your objectives.

-Eric
Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^^ YEA OK. ^^^^^
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD