cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Bones vs. Reclast

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Evening ~ Any of you Ladies (or Gents) Have any experience with Osteoporosis medications ?? yea?? nay?? Durn it I'm the last of my tree and no one older to ask. Hate medications. Especially hesitant to take something with LOTS of side effects. And BOY Reclast has a bunch. Would appreciate any heads-up anyone can offer. Just trying to learn all I can.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ StayWell

Kate
4 REPLIES 4

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion ~~ You sayin Yea Or Nay to bone breaking meds.

Weight bearing exercise is great as a life style starting when young. A little late when nearing 80.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
From what I've read, the biggest factor in retaining proper bone density is getting plenty of load-bearing exercise. But if something (like a medication) is leaching calcium out of a person, supplementation becomes important; otherwise a typical US diet usually provides enough calcium. That is my non-expert opinion and it's worth every penny you paid for it! ๐Ÿ™‚
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia ~~ When they sent me to referral Dr. after I refused Fosamax(system doesn't tolerate. I expected more natural treatments ~ have increased my Calcium & Vit D. Oh No He was so Adamant about the Reclast could not even consider my own medical & physical history. Just had a computerized chart with alogarithms (sp?)up the Kazoo. Thank you for being a light in the darkness.

No Osteoporosis either side of family . Car crash in 1976 gave me loads of broken bone my whole body ~~ none since

I am doing lots of reading.Dr. himself went over the increased chance of breaking a femur and Necrosis of the jaw bone. Also muscle and bone pain ~~ I get enough of that with the Letrozole

Thanks again ~~ Kate

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
My doc just kept insisting that I have a scan to check my bones. I have no family history of osteoporosis, I do not have a small bone structure and I refused. He just kept asking me to do this, and I told him that until things were improved tremendously, I would not do the treatment. I finally broke down and did it. I have the bones of a 25 year old! I have taken calcium since I had thyroid cancer in my late 30s since my parathyroid was also removed. I have always done strength training and I walk...a lot.

With that being said, I would be hesitant to take any of the treatments because they still have so many side effects. If you definitely need something, check into some holistic treatments and give them a try before you set about on the Reclast treatment. If the holistic treatments don't work, then you will need to determine if the benefits outweigh the side effects.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW