cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Old Lady & tow dolly. Can this relationship work?

Getup_ngo
Explorer
Explorer
Yikes! Think I've made a big mistake.

Last week I got all, "I've got to do my part to save the planet!" and traded in my flat-tow Honda CRV for a Toyota Prius -- for which I will need a tow dolly. I was just watching some YouTube how-to videos on tow dollies, with the explanations being provided by hunky, strong men. My question is whether I will be strong enough to do all that. In theory it seems simple. But there is a lot of ground-crawling and cranking. Do any of you use tow dollies? Or will I need to buy a second vehicle to flat-tow?

I'm a healthy, 5-foot-tall, 66-year-old woman. I've been motorhoming (is THAT a verb?) it solo for a dozen years, always flat-towing a CRV. But now I am in (impulsive) unknown territory.

Any suggestions (or reassurance??) from those two-wheel tow-ers?
Janice and Annie, the snotty poodle
2008 Four Winds Windsport, 3 slides
Toad: 2011 Honda CRV/Blue Ox towing system
31 REPLIES 31

freddmc
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a tow dolly but will be modifying my Mini over the winter to flat tow.I'm 75 and can handle it alone for the most part but found it to be more of a pain in the ass than anything.The hardest part for you will be moving it when not attached to you mh.If you get one I would suggest making sure it has a GOOD castor on the jack. A poor castor(or one that has a too small wheel ) will make it difficult to maneuver when unhitched. As far as crawling around to cinch the car down I always make sure I have a big cardboard sheet to lay on. That part isn't difficult but is time consuming.All in all hooking up for flat towing is considerably less involved that using a tow dolly.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Instead of a dolly how about a trailer and load the car completely off the ground? Sure would be easier IMHO.