cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

On the road observations

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We just returned from a 3 night stay on the Gulf Coast. I would say the campground was 95% booked. The weather was great. You would never know the price of fuel is up. No shortage of campers and automobiles on the surface streets and main highways. This trip was just a little tuneup for our longer trip to the mountains later.
50 REPLIES 50

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Wade44 wrote:
He says almost every day someone calls who purchased during the Pandemic boom asking if he's interested in buying back units he sold them.

I wonder how long itโ€™ll be before the repo man starts showing up. I remember well back in 2008 when cranky ape dot Com was loaded with repo rigs from over extended people.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Wade44 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

I sure hope you didn't straddle yourself with a $500 monthly payment, a $1200 per year insurance bill, and $1000 maintenance budget on a 2021 Cherokee Gary Wolf? That's ridiculous.

Lucky for us Judgey McJudgerson showed up.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Wade44 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Of course, in the big picture, fuel costs are not a big driving force. If you've already bought an RV:
- You still have the $500/month payments (assuming typical people who get loans).
- You still have $100/month insurance.
- You still have $500-1000/yr in maintenance costs.
- You still pay $25-60/night for a site.
- We are looking at a Michigan to Yellowstone trip later this fall and over the 2 months, we have it calculated as maybe around $300 extra for fuel.

While annoying, fuel costs hardly move the needle in terms of the overall RVing costs.

I sure hope you didn't straddle yourself with a $500 monthly payment, a $1200 per year insurance bill, and $1000 maintenance budget on a 2021 Cherokee Gary Wolf? That's ridiculous.

Since we were talking about the larger industry, I was listing some fairly typical numbers. I would consider them ridiculous but I see people doing it all the time. We are well below those numbers but I wouldn't consider us typical.

Even if you cut the numbers I list in half, $300 doesn't move the needle enough to make your average RVer not take the RV out. It's certainly not going to leave our kids (not that we have any) going hungry at lunch time for 3 months.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
bucky wrote:
Please share with us the gasser that gets 15mpg towing and what it was towing.

2018 Toyota Tacoma towing a 2018 Airstream Bambi Sport 16rb. At 60 mph.

I like your Tacoma/Airstream combo also. I towed for 15 yrs a 20' TT with my Tacoma, probably about 1K heavier. Though I never bothered to figure my mileage I'm sure it was less than 15mpg ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Wade44
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:

Of course, in the big picture, fuel costs are not a big driving force. If you've already bought an RV:
- You still have the $500/month payments (assuming typical people who get loans).
- We are looking at a Michigan to Yellowstone trip later this fall and over the 2 months, we have it calculated as maybe around $300 extra for fuel.

While annoying, fuel costs hardly move the needle in terms of the overall RVing costs.

Back to the topic of this thread, the owner of the local mom and pop owned RV dealer here tells me his sales right now are down a bunch from April 2019, and down even more compared to April 2020 and 2021. He expects sales to drop even further as long as high fuel prices and inflation continue, just as they have every time the same scenario presented itself in the past. He says almost every day someone calls who purchased during the Pandemic boom asking if he's interested in buying back units he sold them.
2018 Marathon H3-45
2019 GMC Sierra Denali (Toad)
2012 Grady White 271 Canyon

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I donโ€™t know about you, but $300 moves my needle. Thatโ€™s about 3 months worth of school lunches for the kids.

So rather than spend $30k on an RV, you fund 300 months of school lunches and sit at home?

How is this even relevant?
I donโ€™t have a $30k RV either. To some of us $300 is not spare change. I live within my means but a sudden unexpected $300 increase in the costs for a trip is meaningful for me. Just because itโ€™s nickels for you doesnโ€™t make it nickels for the rest of the folks out there.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I was telling my wife that everyone would get use to paying $5/gallon for fuel in a few weeks. Even at $5/gallon, we still pay less than most other developed nations.

...but most of us won't be RVing in those other developed nations, so who cares? ๐Ÿ˜›

It's a mixed bag:
- In Europe, they tend to drive shorter distances in smaller more fuel efficient cars. Or they ride scooters or take mass transit around town. Net effect is they buy much less gas. If gas goes up by $2/gal, not a big deal if you average 3 gal per week. Much different if it's 30gal per week.
- RV'ing is quite popular in Europe and yes, we have rented over there. It's a great experience though different from N. American.

I donโ€™t know about you, but $300 moves my needle. Thatโ€™s about 3 months worth of school lunches for the kids.
If a $300 hit in vacation costs means you donโ€™t feed lunch to your kids for thee months you need to reassess your priorities. Taking a second job instead of that vacation would be the first step.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
nickthehunter wrote:

So rather than spend $30k on an RV, you fund 300 months of school lunches and sit at home?

How is this even relevant?
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I tow at 55-70. If I am a hazard get your own road.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
valhalla360 wrote:
jdc1 wrote:
I was telling my wife that everyone would get use to paying $5/gallon for fuel in a few weeks. Even at $5/gallon, we still pay less than most other developed nations.

...but most of us won't be RVing in those other developed nations, so who cares? ๐Ÿ˜›

It's a mixed bag:
- In Europe, they tend to drive shorter distances in smaller more fuel efficient cars. Or they ride scooters or take mass transit around town. Net effect is they buy much less gas. If gas goes up by $2/gal, not a big deal if you average 3 gal per week. Much different if it's 30gal per week.
- RV'ing is quite popular in Europe and yes, we have rented over there. It's a great experience though different from N. American.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Caveman Charlie wrote:
ken56 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
Nobody is slowing down on the freeways.

It does save gas. My trip down to lake Oconee I did 60-65 where I could. Made it on one tank, about 30 gallons worth. On the way back I did 55 mostly. Same route and nothing different but the speed. There was about 3-4 gallons difference. Yep, not that much savings but just proof it does save gas. Not very scientific but just my observation.

Yes, it certainly does save gas, but please don't drive 55 on an interstate where the flow of traffic is at 70+. Don't become a hazard. Do what we do, and stick with the scenic, and slower, US and state highways. It becomes a win-win.

Thank You. I agree. If you want to go slow take the back roads and enjoy the scenery.

Reality falls in the middle:
- Don't be a rolling road block as you are a danger.
- Taking side roads instead of interstate freeways has a likelihood of being involved in a crash that's around 50 times higher. Take side roads because it goes where you want to go, not because you mistakenly think it's safer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jdc1 wrote:

It's a mixed bag:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
John&Joey wrote:
Been almost a month since the post was originally typed. Anyone want to change their minds, or add to the thread?

Thinking people are feeling less rich then just four short weeks ago.

Not me, my plans haven't changed. I will maybe have to use a little bit of my rainy day fund but, that is why I have it. Before things started going up to much I stocked up on food and other supplies. Eventually, it will wear me down but, I can easily make it through the summer without changing many plans. I am more careful planning trips to the store and stuff now and a few things like that. But, otherwise I haven't changed any plans,,,yet...
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Been almost a month since the post was originally typed. Anyone want to change their minds, or add to the thread?

Thinking people are feeling less rich then just four short weeks ago.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.