cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Order the "0ptional" TV with our new trailer or buy our own?

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
We are about to order our new toy hauler trailer. One of the issues we are still trying to get a straight answer on is this:

We were told by the salesman that we should order the optional TV installed by the mfg (Forest River). The reason he gave was because it is "D.C. compatible", and can be used off-road when no A.C. is available and w/o running the generator. He said if we bought our own 4K flat screen LED (for 1/4 the price!) it would have to be "D.C. compatible". Is there such a TV in the general market place, like Costco?
I thought all the newer RV installed TV'S were able to run on D.C. current because there is a inverter the battery power runs through to convert it to A.C. to power appliances like TV's, refrigerators (not that I would recommend it), etc.
Any help on this subject would be GREATLY appreciated.
Thank you!
16 REPLIES 16

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks westend!
I'll look into the Xantrex Prowatt 1000. Were looking at something between a 39" & 43" flat screen. Where did you buy your inverter, and how much do they cost? I might have a few questions for you before we buy the inverter and TV.
Thanks again!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Go Power makes solid gear but you don't need a 1500W inverter to power a newer flat screen. My 32" LED screen draws 33 W at normal settings. The price for the Go Power is very high, also. I have a Xantrex Prowatt 1000, a pure sine inverter that powers a 120V fridge and all my 120V entertainment gear. I use dedicated receptacles for inverted power but if you need power at certain installed receptacles, a transfer switch can be installed for that functionality.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Keep in mind it will take a LOT of generator time to make up the cost of the TV. If you have an inverter and solar panel, you shouldn't need to run the generator unless you run the TV for a long time but any time you are off grid, wise power usage is critical if you want to keep generator time down.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
CC, MPPT, PWM ??? Not really deep cycle? I like 12v sealed Interstate deep cycle batteries, but not sure which group to get.

Have to go, will check back in later this afternoon or evening.
Thank you all!!!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
With a single 200W panel the CC might be MPPT but at 200W no real advantage over PWM.

Likely Marine Deep Cycle batteries which are very close to starting batteries. Not really deep cycle.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, all I know is its a single 200 watt panel. That's from the build/order sheet. Also, I will have two RV deep cycle batteries.

Alabama_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Best buy carries a TV that will run on ac or battery.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
placergold wrote:
Forgot to add. Our unit will come with a 200 watt Solar Power Panel and Regulator w/ Power Boost (what ever that is).
2x100W panels or what? PWM or MPPT charge controllers (CC) are standard. Power Boost sounds like more of a marketing sales pitch than anything significant with 200W.

Post the model numbers and you'll get a lot of input from this board.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ask the salesman for the TV model number and look it up.

A DC TV would likely use a little less power than an equivalent 120V TV with inverter. But TVs, satellite and other DVD players etc have a broader selection of 120V equipment if you can even get some 12V equipment. A DC TV might be limited to OTA. And cable but the CG cable I've tried has poor picture quality.

Also is UHD a good option for a RV with limited viewing distance? I've only seen UHD in stores and I'm doubtful of significant improvement over HD in a RV.

Bob

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot to add. Our unit will come with a 200 watt Solar Power Panel and Regulator w/ Power Boost (what ever that is).

placergold
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I took some photos in a different model (slightly larger) than we are getting by the same mfg. Where the mfg supplied TV would plug in there is a double A.C. outlet, a round D.C. like cigarette lighter size female plug in, cable hookup, and three male plugs that are yellow, white and red.
Also, online I found a photo of the exact TV the mfg offers plugged in to one A.C. outlet, the cable, and the three other male plugs. And this is the same unit we are going to order. So I guess this A.C. plug must be going through a inverter? They are supposed to have the same unit we want to order available this afternoon, that's sold, for us to look at. I'll ask if they can check the voltage at the A.C. plug.
Also, the mfg has an option for a 1500 watt "Go Power" Inverter for $1007.75, retail, is this worth getting?
Thanks for all your input!

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would purchase my own HDTV that I would run with our inverter which I currently do in our TH. Save lots of $$$ and I would be able to get a better quality, high-end brand. Some rigs do come with an inverter stock from the factory, particularly when a residential fridge is installed. We have installed aftermarket our own inverters, one that supplies AC power to our whole rig and another dedicated to running all our A/V equipment in our entertainment center. Nothing wrong with going with a DC powered tv, for us I found selection and sizes are limited, plus we have solar and generator to easily recover the miniscule power loss produced with the conversion of DC into AC by the inverter.

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
Buy and install your own. If you need a tv without running the genny than buy a full sine wave inverter (notice I wrote FULL sine wave) and you would probably still save money and have something that you can use over and over unlike the tv which when dead the dc part goes with it and you have to start all over. Think about some solar to recharge the batterys too. You might ( and i'm sure there are plenty of folks out there that) use a modified sine wave inverter. but it might be an expense trial if it doesn't work. And by using an inverter rather than a dc tv you can power a sat dish or a dvd player whatever.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there an AC plug where you want to put the TV or did they only install a 12V receptacle at the TV? If there is an AC receptecal make sure it's powered when you're not plugged into shore power.

Yes, it sounds like you'll have an invertor, but usually not all of the AC plugs get power off of the invertor. Per the above question, if there's an AC plug at the TV, is it one of the AC outlets that's powered off of the invertor.

You may have to decide if you want to run an extension cord from an invertor powered AC outlet to where the TV is. If you can get AC power to the TV, then buy your own.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.