Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

our first attempt at being snowbirds

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Last February we were all set to go to Florida for the month to try out being snowbirds. Because of all of the snow we got here in MA we were unable to get our RV out of our yard or even if we did make the turn onto our very narrow street. So we had to cancel all reservations.

This October we took the RV to South Carolina and have it stored outside of Myrtle Beach in Conway SC. We plan on leaving here at the end of this month and picking up the RV and then heading to Florida. We were told by the woman working the office in Conway not to de-winterize in SC. We are looking for advice as to where would be the best place south of Myrtle Beach to de-winterize. I am not sure why we can't de-winterize in SC as I know many people snowbird at Myrtle Beach. Our first night of reservations are on 2/9 in Talbot Island State Park in Florida. We are trying to figure out where to go until then.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,:@
Marianne
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'
16 REPLIES 16

dakasa47
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone who took the time to post suggestions. I am monitoring the weather closely. I am glad we didn't plan on leaving this weekend:)

I am looking at Skidway State Park in Georgia. We have stayed on Jeykell Island and I am also looking at Brunswick GA also.

As of now we have reservations at state parks in Florida and at Flamingo campground in Everglades NP. We love the state parks in Florida. I was only able to get these because I checked the website at least 10 times a day for cancelations. Yesterday I came across a cancelation at Sebastian Inlet for the weekend before we go to Bahia Honda for 5 nights. We have stayed at both places 2 or 3 times in the past

We are also staying at Talbot Island SP(first time), Gamble Rogers SP(first time), Jonathan Dickinson SP and Flamingo NP(first time).
All of these were as a result of constant daily checking. In the past 7 years I still have not figured out how to book Bahia Honda without it being a cancelation:)

We have also stayed at Fort Clinch, Anastasia SP. and my all time favorite Long Key SP.

Again, thanks to all for replies.
David and Marianne
2010 Tundra
2007 FunFinder 21'

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If it's unattended, keep it winterized. Really doesn't matter where it is. Once you pick it up and head south, dewinterize. In reality, if you drain the pink stuff right after winterizing in the first place, there's very little to dewinterize. I really don't even have to do anything, except ensure water heater bypass is back in the regular position, which I do promptly after winterizing and draining the pink stuff.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, you definitely want to keep it winterized while storing. We are 250 miles south of Myrtle Beach and we got down to 26 degrees last night. If you are camping in it and using the heater (electric or propane), then it would be safe to de-winterize it.

As for places to stay until 2/9, there are plenty of places to stay in southeast Georgia. There are several decent campgrounds in Brunswick, GA alone. However, since we moved here back in 2006, February is usually our coldest month of the year. Last year we had a few nights in the upper teens. That is a little colder than usual, but low to mid 20s are not unusual in February.

There are lots of nice places to stay in and around Jacksonville, FL and St. Augustine, FL, however this time of year it might be hard to find a site.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's not clear but I think the difference is Storage vs Using.

If it's in storage, presumably there is no heat and a hard freeze (maybe upper 20's) could cause damage as there is nothing to stop the water from freezing.

If you are using the RV, presumably there is heat and depending on the unit, you probably need to go below 20 before you really need to be concerned. If you travel during the day, it is typically above freezing and not a concern (just check the forecast for unusually cold days).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the easiest thing would be to carry some fresh water and forget about doing any dewinterizing until you're at your resting spot in FL. I don't know your itinerary or showering schedule, though, so you may have to enlist your fresh water system when traveling. A low of 20f wouldn't prohibit me from using the water system. Heck, it's already warmed up to a balmy 2f here, lol.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Why don't de winterize in SC?

Because of this.
Tonight the entire north AND North Central of 'Florida' will have a hard freeze. :W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We've lived in Myrtle Beach SC for over 12 years and have NEVER winterized our Class A. Have camped often during the winter. Just disconnect hose from outside source if night time temps drop below freezing - water in hose sometimes will freeze up. Using your onboard heater will take care of your interior pipes. Just our experiences.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a smartphone, download a weather app (I have five such apps on my phone) so you can look ahead at projected temps in the areas in which you are going to travel. I suspect, however, that you can de-winterize once you get in the RV in NC. Once you're using it I seriously doubt you'll run into such cold temps that you'd experience a hard freeze of plumbing or tanks. If it gets really cold overnight, disconnect your water hose and don't leave your tank valves open. I turned a sewer hose into a poopsicle one night in frosty VA.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
We're north central Florida right now, also doing the snowbird rookie year. They're predicting 20s for northeast FL next week.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about it.
It would have to be well bellow freezing for a day or two to do any damage. You should be well south after your first day on the road.

The temp here this afternoon will be -24C with wind chill so I know what I'm talking about.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, currently in MB,SC. lows tonight is for 18 degrees. tomorrow night is 20.

I will disconnect hoses.. open drain lines. fresh water tank will remain full.

Oh,, high for tomorrow is 40. MAYBE.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h

All this talk about winterize/dewinterize just get my head spinning!!!

In the PNW we do this all the time, personally I blow the lines, then there is no need to flush out the pink crud! Our favorite winter parks are NOT full hookup, so no sewer so can't just run a bunch of water through the system and tanks. I just hook up and start using the faucets, also fill the HW tank by opening the relief valve until it spits.

If I stayed at a place that temps were going to get down to about 28, then fill FW tank and use the pump for FW. Once this is done, when traveling below freezing run the furnace at about 50 to 55 degrees while driving.

To winterize I use the on-board air for the PacBrake, drain the HW tank through the low point drain. Then go through and blow all the faucets. I can do this anywhere.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

NoVa_RT
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure why we can't de-winterize in SC as I know many people snowbird at Myrtle Beach.

Most likely, you can. Just pay attention to the weather reports; and if it's iffy, you can wait until the weather changes. It's likely to warm up as you head south.
2013 RT 190-Popular

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Another snowbird rookie doing the same in a couple weeks from here in western MA. I pulled the trailer out before the 1st threat of snow so it's sitting in the driveway till we head south.

Taking I-81 as opposed to 95, after a 1st night at a hotel we're planning on stopping at a campground just outside Charlotte if the weather is decent and de-winterizing there. Obviously if it's really cold I won't do such till I get further south.

Don't have reservations in FL till the 6th, if I'm early I'll think about hanging out at the CG in Charlotte or maybe call around in S GA.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA