cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Our trip from BC to Quebec city in our Tesla/T@B combo. Pics

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hi folks. We are back from our apx 7 week trip from the Okanagan Valley of BC to Quebec city and back. Great trip. A combination of touring and visiting family we haven't seen in awhile. Although we made a few shakedown trips earlier this spring with the new trailer this was the first big trip since we downsized from the motorhome. I figure we are like goldfish and we get used to the size of our bowl. ๐Ÿ™‚

The transition was a success for us and we had a great time. We had no issues with the trailer and everything went smooth. This is the first rig we bought that had no fit and finish issues. Hats off to Nucamp for making a good trailer.

A few shots of the trailer and interior first and then we'll post a few pics of the trip.

Our new little wandering house. 18 feet of fun.

We wanted a separate booth and sleeping area and a made up bed.

And on to the trip. I'll keep the commentary to a minimum.

Revelstoke Dam is a must see. Takes about an hour and a half for the tour. They have room for one more turbine which they think they will need within 12 years. You can see the missing number 6 tube on the right.

Also in Revelstoke is a great rail museum.

And the award for the prettiest DC fast charger in Canada goes to Field BC. Its worth hiking the town and reading the history. Heads up, one hour max parking on the fast charger before you get idle fees. its a reasonably slow charger (50 KW) so allows for some hiking thru the town.

We went to Drumheller to see the Royal Tyrell Museum. Very worth it as well. Really, don't miss it. Some very interesting hiking thru the badlands as well.

We'll jump ahead a few provinces as other than visiting family we kind of went thru manitoba and northern ontario pretty fast.

A free beer if someone can identify this land mark.

We did a little driveway camping visiting family in eastern ontario and then on to Quebec. We haven't been to Quebec city since our military days so it was good to get back. My french was a little rusty but within 5 or 10 minutes I was back in the groove...mostly. ๐Ÿ™‚

Like going to europe.

A little poutine for energy. ๐Ÿ™‚

On the road again. These Superchargers with trailer stalls made the recharging quicker as there was less chance of having to unhook.

The other end of the lake is in the US. This is waterton national park in Alberta. We had to hike the bears hump to get to this spot. Tough climb. Maybe an hour or so.

This is the bears hump from below. Its the flat mesa about halfway up the mountain.

Easy to soak up a week in Waterton. So many hikes and things to do.

We stayed in a lot of provincial parks. Usually 20 to 30 dollars. Some had power, others had no services.

Some of the Superchargers had back access for trailers. Handy.

Anyway. A few pics from our journey in our downsized combo. We are home for 7 weeks and then on the road to Vancouver island for a month of touring up to the north end. Hope you enjoyed our journey. Great to be back in BC.

Stay safe on the road all.

J and A
24 REPLIES 24

J_herb
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a great trip and I like your Tesla and trailer setup
Nice photos, looking forward to more of your trips.
J herb

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
harley hitchiker wrote:
other data about the tesla would be ,what was average cost per kilowatt hr. How many hours were spent charging ,and how far could you go on a average charge.
Looks like a great trip ,beautiful scenery,and apparently trouble free travel

Iโ€™ll have to figure out the average kilowatt hour cost but suspect it is around 40 ish cents. Supercharging isnโ€™t cheap but there was also some campground and driveway charging which skews it.

Time charging varied as most days we either only charged once for 20 to 40 minutes or none as it may have been a short day on the road and we charged at destination overnight. We had eight days of what I would call dead heading. 4 there and 4 back. This was a couple prairie provinces and northern Ontario. We didnโ€™t tour those areas as we had seen a lot of them during our military careers. On those four days we would knock off 500 to 600 kilometres per day. Those days we would charge 3 times during the day for 20 to 40 minutes and then usually at night at destination. For us we are used to stopping every couple hours anyway so really not a big change.

We never really had the chance to test out the max range as the superchargers are typically spaced closer than that. But Iโ€™ll hazard a guess at 220 kilometres. . We travel at max 90 kmh. Pretty much the speed limit over most of northern Ontario. Many times we were at 85 kmh though because of road conditions etc. The speed limits in the prairies is faster but we keep it in the right lane 90 kmh. We have been towing a long time and know the affects wind gusts can have on single axle short wheel base units. But overall it a very well behaved little combo.

Hope that helps.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
TurnThePage wrote:
Beautiful country! We live near BC and have been considering an extended tour/visit.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you. I think the biggest thing we learned from this trip was that the smaller provincial parks have so much to offer. The smaller parks seem to be first come first serve. No way to reserve. We tend to be off the road by one or two anyway so this works out. We were never turned away even though we were travelling in peak time. The average price seems around 30 bucks but some were low 20โ€™s. No services in those parks except for water taps and pit toilets but we donโ€™t need much in that regard.

Hope you find the time to make it up. We are actually making a little camping trip into your country in a couple weeks. Kind of a combo visit and mini camping trip into Washington state near Orville.

Cheers and safe travels.

harley_hitchike
Explorer
Explorer
other data about the tesla would be ,what was average cost per kilowatt hr. How many hours were spent charging ,and how far could you go on a average charge.
Looks like a great trip ,beautiful scenery,and apparently trouble free travel

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Beautiful country! We live near BC and have been considering an extended tour/visit.

Thanks for sharing!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Hi again. Weโ€™ll go with the original numbers although they may be out by 50 bucks as I think I double recorded the money I put on the FLO app. Anyway. 11400 kilometres and 1455 bucksโ€ฆish.

Iโ€™ll put up a pic later of the first 31 days. The Tesla app keeps track of the charging costs and how itโ€™s charged but only uses a sliding window of 31 days. I just have to figure out the distance as it was a fairly indirect route with lots of side touring. Mostly towing but some without. Things on the go today but Iโ€™ll get to it.

Cheers.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pics - great trip and cool setup. ๐Ÿ™‚

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the great post and pics! That looks like a fantastic trip and I definitely am looking forward to hearing the cost of "fuel" on it. :B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
Did you record miles traveled and costs of charging?

Yah we did.

On edit. I had some numbers up from memory but wifey says they are wrong as I counted the public charger costs twice. Once when the credit is put on the App and once when we actually charged. It shouldnโ€™t skew things more than a hundred bucks as we didnโ€™t use public chargers much but Iโ€™ll wait to get home and retabulate before I post them.

Cheers.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Did you record miles traveled and costs of charging?