cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

out of state license

jackbuck
Explorer
Explorer
sold my 5th wheel =wnnt to buy a trailor and license it in south dakota =need some advice and how it works
jackbuck ,2016 Arctic Fox 29-5-k ,2004 chev 3500 crew with 8100gas,Virginia.One great wife two trailor dogs,9 boys and 2 of the other kind.,all on their own, empty nest. its hard to see the picture when you are inside the frame.
9 REPLIES 9

hermandutchman
Explorer
Explorer
the big question is do you still have a home in the state you are in now. If you do then what you want to do would be illegal in most states. If you are a full timer then the best thing is to contact one of the mail forwarding firms in SD and they will give you the best and correct info.

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
An attempt to save maybe hundreds of dollars could cost thousands.
Most,if not all, frown on your plan and will go to great lengths to prove it.
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just keep in mind that while SD may happy to allow you to register your Trailer in their State. Your state may take an entirely different view of the matter.
Many state if the trailer is in the state for more than like six months, then it is required to be registered in your state.

Most states frown upon this practice, and the penlites when caught are steep.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
lanerd wrote:
To register in SD, I believe you have to be a resident of SD including a driver's license. I don't think you can just arbitrarily register a vehicle in SD if you're not a resident.

Ron

Not exactly true.. But this is: You need to have the trailer, and it's tow vehicle, and any other vehicles, and your Driver's license, all showing the same address, and issued by the same state. MANY have tried to avoid taxes by registering in a more tax friendly state.. Some of them have paid the price (More than they saved) and others are being investigated as I type.

Since everything in my pocket has the same address and state name on it... I'm not worried.. and IF I move to SD, this will not change (Texas is the other option for me) I am kind of ticked off at Governor Sindley Wiplash though (The governor of the state I am licensed/registered/legally live, in Not his real name). But enough of that.. (In short, What I just posted is a personal dislike, WHY is not a topic for discussion here).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Francesca Knowles wrote:
I see you're a Virginian...presumably you're already prepared to bypass State laws requiring in-state registration, but here's a heads-up.

Aside from state requirements, Roanoke is one of many counties that impose property taxes on trailers, and getting around that could prove problematic. link.

Your County at least appears to be less aggressive than, say, Arlington County, which actually goes so far as to maintain a hotline for folks to report out-of-state registered vehicles. Link

Roanoke County doesn't seem to go that far, but since there's evidently p.p. tax due/owing no matter WHERE the trailer is registered, you may want to think twice about putting South Dakota Plates into a system where the State of Virginia might start asking questions.

This guy tried to avoid county use tax!!

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
I see you're a Virginian...presumably you're already prepared to bypass State laws requiring in-state registration, but here's a heads-up.

Aside from state requirements, Roanoke is one of many counties that impose property taxes on trailers, and getting around that could prove problematic. link.

Your County at least appears to be less aggressive than, say, Arlington County, which actually goes so far as to maintain a hotline for folks to report out-of-state registered vehicles. Link

Roanoke County doesn't seem to go that far, but since there's evidently p.p. tax due/owing no matter WHERE the trailer is registered, you may want to think twice about putting South Dakota Plates into a system where the State of Virginia might start asking questions.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
You best information would probably come from the DMV in South Dakota...

Here is on-line link with phone numbers etc...

Motor Vehicles South Dakota

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Non-resident Titling and Registration Requirements......LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
To register in SD, I believe you have to be a resident of SD including a driver's license. I don't think you can just arbitrarily register a vehicle in SD if you're not a resident.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....