cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pets left alone in RV at campground?

solismaris
Explorer
Explorer
We are now a dog owner and would consider bringing her on next camping trip. Question for all: is it considered acceptable to leave dog in trailer while we are away?

Windows and vents will be open, curtains drawn, propane will be turned off. Where I travel no AC is needed. Dog is not a barker.

I asked at one place and they said no unattended pets. Of course they did. Maybe better to not ask and do it surreptitiously?

Surely campers with dogs are still able to get away for a restaurant, museum, other no-pets tourist attractions?
David Kojen
65 REPLIES 65

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Know your dog. If dog is quiet and well behaved no one is going to know.
If dog is not accustomed to being alone and disturbs everyone around him. The authorities are going to know and you will have to face the consequences of violating the rules.
If you are unsure how your dog will behave, do a test run and leave for a few minutes and see how your dog reacts.
For the record experienced campers with well behaved dogs leave them unattended all the time.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Danger_Don
Explorer
Explorer
As far as state parks go, I know of no state park campground we've been to in at least 18 states where they did not have a rule against leaving dogs "unattended". That's open to your own interpretation I suppose. I have seen people talked to by rangers for it 3 separate times in 3 separate states, one of those I believe a citation was issued. As far as federal parks they have this on the National Park Service website under camping.

While You're Camping;

Be mindful of restricted areas.
Be courteous to other campers by picking up after your dog and control barking and other noise.
Keep your pet on a leash. Some parks have a 6 ft. leash policy; check with your park for specific rules.
Never leave your dog unattended, especially in a hot vehicle.

Again, it's open to your interpretation of what they mean by unattended. Unattended in a vehicle, unattended in a trailer or motorhome, or unattended tied to a tree.

Nothing worse though when folks leave dogs in an RV all day while out and about and the dogs barks continuously. Even high end diesel pushers such as Prevosts are far from sound proof. But of course good little Fido never barks at all.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm sure many leave their dogs inside while away. All dogs, all CGs, differ, so common sense will apply, each time you camp with your dog.

A new dog will need time to adjust, to get used to camping, inside and outside.

I rarely left my dog in the camper, but she understood, from experience, that I'd not be gone long, which I would limit to 2 hours, or less. I would leave the Tv or stereo going, for comforting sound, and to block outdoor noises.

There is all kinds of surveillance equipment available today, that you can view, talk, monitor temps etc, right from your phone.

Hope you enjoy taking your pet camping, and that your dog enjoys going too!

Jerry

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I was a campground host in a National Park, pets were not allowed on the trails and were not allowed to be left alone in the campground. That made it about impossible for a visitor with a dog to do much of a visit. The rules were enforced.

I suppose a few visitors left dogs alone and got away with it. It would be much better to leave the pets with friends/relatives or to board the animals. Of course it depends on the style of "camping" you plan on. If you want to hike and visit scenic areas, a dog can be an issue. If you want to sit around an RV park, drink and eat and have BBQs, then not so much.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
People do it all the time.

However, my take on it (as a dog owner whose dogs go camping with us) is that if the rules say "don't leave dogs unattended in the campsite", then simply don't do it. Like all the other rules regarding dogs, the more people ignore the rules, the more likely those places are to stop allowing dogs period. And then we all lose.

Select campgrounds/parks that allow you to leave dogs unattended in the campsite, take the dog with you when you go out and leave them in the vehicle while you eat, etc, find a doggie daycare or kennel or pet sitter for those days you want to do non-dog-friendly stuff, limit yourself to dog-friendly activities during the trip, or leave your dog home.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
We leave our dogs and cat in the trailer all the time. never with the windows open, always with the A/c or heat on. If you leave the windows open, there will be sounds your pet will hear. And being in a strange place alone, you don't know what may or may not happen. It is best to bring their bed from home and some familiar toys to help keep them occupied as well. Also, never give them water from the faucet where you are staying. The different mineral content can cause them to be sick or worse yet, diarrhea. Give them bottled drinking water or distilled water. We have a Reverse Osmosis system in out trailer for us and them.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore