cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Petty clock problem

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
We have digital clock in the bedroom of our rv that has battery back up. Last summer we took a trip to Alaska and back so we moved every couple of days. Even with new 9volt installed the clock would not hold the time. So every day we had to reset the time. Even the one in our home does not hold the time. I am sure there must be dependable brand to buy. One of ours is a magnavox and even it does not remember. There were times when we had to dry camp thus we never knew during the night what time it was.
20 REPLIES 20

daveor
Explorer
Explorer
we picked up a clock from I believe Wal-Mart that uses the time signal from Colorado, keeps perfect time, Just battery powered, but seems to last a long time, does the inside temp too. Can't remember the brand though,, sorry.

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We only use an alarm clock for moving days and early morning appointments. We stopped wearing watches when we retired.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like that is what I will have to do...

nor-easter
Explorer
Explorer
We have been retired now about ten years. We have decided a long time ago not to worry as to the time. If you are hungry and the Sun is in the Western sky, Have Supper. If hungry and the Sun is in the Eastern sky, have breakfast. Who cares what time it is when you get up to pee? If it is dark, go back to bed. If it is light and you no longer feel sleep, get up and go for a walk and then come back and eat breakfast!
Capt. Chet

03 Journey DL 39.5 w/330 CAT and bells & whistles!!!!
Toad is a 04 Malibu
Full timing
Out Door World Elite/ Thousand Trails/ Pass Port America
FMCA f10045d

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
If one dry camps, say in Alaska, as the OP is currently doing, a battery powered or wind up clock is the thing to use. I would say generally that one cannot depend on their enternal clock as it is daylight about 20 hours during the summer and it will fool you into thinking it is time to wake up but it is really 3:00 am. I am one of those people who wakes up without the alarm clock usually at the same time every day. In Alaska, I had to depend on an alarm clock because of all the daylight.
2015 Dodge Dually

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
In the RV, I rely on my spring driven Big Ben. I just wind it every couple of days. Easy to change time zones. And an alarm that will wake the dead.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will post a few links.. I wear the watch.
(I happen to like this company but use the links as a guide line you can buy products just as good from several other vendors)

MFJ Clock #10

MFJ Solar Clock #2

MFJ #3 with additional features

MFJ Analog clock 1

MFJ Analog Clock #2

My Very Accurate MFJ watch

NOTE in both watch and clock catagories you can back up a level and get the full catalog page. I cherry picked.

Or as I said, you can go with other suppliers.. I like my watch.. I have a few "Other supplier" clocks that I like too. They are highly accurate, usualy within a tiny fraction of a second of exact.

Of course I do not set my clocks or watch.. The national bureau of standards does that for me.. Every day.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
For those anal about clocks when one is around, it HAS to be accurate (I'm one of them). ANY battery operated clock is a total cr@p shoot as to how accurate it's going to be. Those xtal references are made by the tens of millions and if not trimmed in will NEVER be accurate. Some are dead on, some not, and you never know.
If you want something accurate, get something that says it references WWV, WWVB, or just says "Atomic Clock". An old fashioned analog or digital plugin clock will likely be as accurate since its referencing the 60hz in the house which typically is very stable.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

jwmII
Explorer
Explorer
Try this. I use a windup Seiko travel alarm clock. I bought it 30 years ago when I was on a job in New Guinea. Keep it in the motor home and wind it daily. Keeps perfect time and has the radium dial so it is visible at night. Wind ups are still available. The Big Ben and Baby Bens are still sold. Kinda like percolators wind up stuff still can work for you.
jwmII

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Vaughn, the brand we bought is "Advance,". I know it was really inexpensive and has most of the functions of our electric clock.
2015 Dodge Dually

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sometimes the battery backup alarm clocks don't last all that long on battery backup or keep super accurate time on battery power. Many, especially older ones, rely on the 60 Hz power line frequency for their basic timekeeping. The battery power just runs it at more or less the right rate until the (presumably brief and rare) power outage is over.

I think coolmom's suggestion is about the best: get a clock that's purely battery powered. The only drawback is that most don't glow all the time during the night like the big red numbers on many plug-in alarm clocks, so it's harder to know exactly what time you've woken up to go potty.

I use a nifty little battery alarm clock in my RV from Ikea. It's about two inches square, and tells the time/date, the current temperature, the alarm time, and has a count down timer, depending which side it's set on. The only difficulty is that you can't easily pack it in a drawer on its back as the wiggling around of the RV makes it change modes more or less randomly and make beeps and buzzes and such. I generally tuck it under the corner of the comforter next to the bed mattress while driving and that seems to work well enough. The timer works very nicely for games like Boggle, too.

F1bNorm
Explorer
Explorer
We use a Casio travel clock. Have had it for several years and I can't remember changing the batteries. See CLICKY

Norm
F1BNorm

ncscz
Explorer
Explorer
Big Ben Classic Alarm

• never needs batteries
  • visible in the dark
  • it WILL wake you up
  • keeps working when power goes out
CarriGo
Model 2320

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
I got a battery clock from Amazon some years ago that works great. The brand name was Clock-O-Matic.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out