Pink Flamingos

Pepperoni
Explorer
Explorer
http://tinyurl.com/qdo2pr9

Tropical elegance in a box': how the pink flamingo became an American icon

Edward Helmore in New York
Wednesday 24 June 2015 11.29 EDT

Sculptor Don Featherstone, who died on Monday aged 87, was the inventor of the plastic pink flamingo lawn ornament that became an icon of aspirational suburban values of the 1950s and, later, a symbol of postmodern, ironic detachment that more than hinted at a sense of cultural superiority.

For Featherstone, who designed the bird for Union Productsโ€™ Plastics for the Lawn line from pictures in a National Geographic magazine spread, the bird was a surprise hit โ€“ and the start of a cultural craze.

The company had tried marketing ducks, geese, swans, even ostriches, but nothing came close to the success of the flamingo, with its echoes of Florida exotica, that went on to sell 20m pairs.

============

Featherstoneโ€™s contribution was recognised in his home state in 1987 when the governor of Massachusetts proclaimed the plastic bird โ€œan essential contribution to American folk artโ€. Thatโ€™s certainly the way Waters, who received dozens of them as gifts from fans, would like to see the pink flamingo garden ornament. โ€œAfter they became a hipster thing and people would put a hundred of them on their lawn, I gave mine away.โ€

http://tinyurl.com/qdo2pr9
10 REPLIES 10

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
there was an article about him and the pink flamingos on "Sunday Morning" on CBS this morning, I guess because he passed this week.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

shakyjay
Explorer
Explorer
2007 Rockwood 8315SS
2004 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax Diesel
1999 Dodge 1500 5.9L Gas

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Remember Pee Wee Herman and his front yard full of all sorts of plastic gimcracks?

Pee Wee Herman
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
Southwest Harbor on Mount Desert Island (Acadia) has a pink flamingo festival every year with lawns decorated to the max with pink flamingos. :C :C :C
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
The campground host at Chewacla SP in Alabama must have had over 100 pink flamingos around his site. He had a vintage trailer and truck and it look like you stepped back 50 years when you look at his site. I took pictures of it but my phone went swimming on that trip.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
We were in a big box home improvement store recently and saw pink flamingos. Waiting in line I looked them over and sadly noted they were one of the few items in the store made in the U.S.A.

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
There are more of the plastic ones than real ones!

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
It just doesn't get any better than this....

COME NOW....you can do better. How about some lighted birds, so they can be enjoyed well into the wee hours.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
It just doesn't get any better than this....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I remember, as a kid, the Pink Flamingo craze of the late 50's.
I've never heard the story behind the plastic birds.
Neat article, thanks for sharing.