cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pink stuff in the toilet?

Tacswa3
Explorer
Explorer
Is it ok or accepted to have the pink stuff (antifreeze) sitting on top of the flapper in the toilet for the winter? I did flush until it came through the lines as well.
18 REPLIES 18

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd use the propylene gylcol version of RV antifreeze. The cheaper and more commonly sold ethanol (acohol) based stuff evaporates and is known to damage seals.

Tacswa3
Explorer
Explorer
Great tip on the olive oil, thanks

diesel_man_03
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with everyone, I keep some on top of the valve all the time.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tacswa3 wrote:
Is it ok or accepted to have the pink stuff (antifreeze) sitting on top of the flapper in the toilet for the winter? I did flush until it came through the lines as well.

Not only is it accepted, it is required.

turbojimmy wrote:
Even on my new Dometic terlet, it will drain out over the winter. As others have said it's good to keep that seal wet and the pink stuff will not stain (that was my initial worry).

If yours is draining out, you have a problem. Your toilet seal is leaking. My RV is 8 years old, and I have never had the pink stuff drain out of the toilet over the winter.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tacswa3 wrote:

Short answer: YES
Longer answer: In fact if you read the destruct..er, Instructions, that is how they say to do it.

NOTE: Pink stuff can freeze. it just does not expand and crack stuff when it freezes.. In fact in all the world there is but one substance that EXPANDS when it freezes....... Water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Homer wrote:
Since there is nothing to freeze in the toilet. a little vegetable oil will keep those seals lubricated and wash right away with the first flush or so in the spring.

X2
It doesn't get that cold here but anytime mine sits for any length of time I put olive oil in it. Works great for seal. Antifreeze everywhere else.

X2 on the olive oil

Been using olive oil in toilets for years.
I will start using olive oil because the pink stuff evaporates over winter.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob213 wrote:
Homer wrote:
Since there is nothing to freeze in the toilet. a little vegetable oil will keep those seals lubricated and wash right away with the first flush or so in the spring.

X2
It doesn't get that cold here but anytime mine sits for any length of time I put olive oil in it. Works great for seal. Antifreeze everywhere else.

X2 on the olive oil

Been using olive oil in toilets for years.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Homer wrote:

X2
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. SOP. Standard Operating Procedure when winterizing! :C

I fill the bowl with antifreeze with the same amount you would with water. More is better in case it leaks out and/or evaporates. Which happens if warmer climate areas when left sitting.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer

Tacswa3
Explorer
Explorer
Cool, thanks for replies all.

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Even on my new Dometic terlet, it will drain out over the winter. As others have said it's good to keep that seal wet and the pink stuff will not stain (that was my initial worry).
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
As you now know, add pink stuff to the toilet. ๐Ÿ™‚

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, plus open the valve quickly to coat the blade, leave about an inch of anti-freeze in bowl.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker