cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poor brakes. TV & Trailer both tested good??

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Have new trailer but braking seems rather poor. I have a prodigy P3. Using the manual control I can feel the trailer brakes come on but very little. Setting voltage from 5 to 12 volts makes no difference, brakes feel exactly the same no matter what the setting. Boost settings make no difference.

Shop tested trailer with their vehicle and said everything checks out ok, correct voltage at the brakes etc. Had a different shop check TV's connector and stated all looks good, at least with their plug in tester. It has an LED that gets brighter as the manual lever is increased indicating higher voltage. No idea if their tester puts a load on the controller to simulate brakes.

Any ideas or perhaps my controller is bad?
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)
5 REPLIES 5

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Adjust the brakes then go from there. Confirm proper adjustment first as this will cause the symptoms you describe if the shoes are too far out.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^^

What he said.

+1

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just because it's NEW doesn't mean that the trailer brakes where properly adjusted
Could be they were just installed and not touched......

Jack up each wheel and adjust brakes then set up brake controller.

Properly adjusted you should be able to lock up trailer brakes with manual lever on controller when moving slowly.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Tachdriver
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend having your TT brakes adjusted, then set the brake controller per the instructions and give it a try, perhaps the worn brakes are not engaging as much as when then had more meat on the pads.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds `to me like the brakes on the trailer are just weak.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S