cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable fire pit propane usage & models

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Any suggestions for a portable propane campfire?

Also, how much propane would I use per hour for a small one (like Little Red Campfire or Heininger 5995. I don't want to deplete the tanks...
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)
22 REPLIES 22

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
How about size? These things look huge. This is the outland:

Campfire in a can seems smaller but, as I said, more expensive...
Buy the best and cry only once
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
I use the camp chef portable propane fire ring, works great and compact

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
How about size? These things look huge. This is the outland:

Campfire in a can seems smaller but, as I said, more expensive...

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Here are current prices @ Amazon -

Campfire in a can - US$229.99
Camco Little Red Campfire - US$110.81.
Heininger 5995 - US$ 115.
Outland Firebowl 820 - US$ 123.37.

Campfire in a can seems expensive. Heininger is not in the comparison linked by myredracer. Here is another comparison.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the Ban Buster "campfire in a can". Was a freebee with a previous new TT purchase. Has the loose vermiculite insulation in it. It's a PITA to set up as the vermiculite gets all messed up from travelling and handling. I'd get one that doesn't have vermiculite insulation.

Here's a comparison of 5 different brands and only one doesn't have vermiculite.

Love it when we are using ours after dark during a fire ban and we get reported to the office or even yelled at... ๐Ÿ™‚ I wish they made a simulated smoke smell 'cuz they're just not the same without the smell of real burning wood.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
Up here the outland fire bowls are pretty popular, Costco sells them for $90 CDN so the price is right. 58,000 btu.

I bought one but haven't used it yet so can't comment on it. I only got it for when there's a fire ban.

was gunna say I don't understand the point of these but if they beat a fire ban it makes sense to me. nothing sucks like being camping and not being allowed a camp fire.

not sure the yogis around here would allow that under a fire ban though.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I'll check these brands out. There's a campfire ban in Washington state (three firefighters died this week) so maybe even propane fires will not be allowed. We will be camping around Wenatchee, South of Lake Chelan where the largest fires are right now.

RavenNS
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the costco Outland with lava rocks. Love it! Propane is so much cheaper than buying wood at a campground. We took it for a week long trip and had a fire every night and didn't run out of propane from one 20lbs tank. We find that the low setting works great. Did up s'mores and did the jiffy pop popcorn too.
It's great that the bottom stays cool enough that you could put this on a deck. 5 to 10 minutes after turning it off, you can put the lid on and put the whole thing away.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Outland now sells a bag to fit you can get it from there website or amazon
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Wet_Coast
Explorer
Explorer
Outland from Costco Canada as well. had to switch to propane when the wife's asthma flared up a few years ago. Had one for most of three years now and would not go back.

Had it fired up for most of the rainy August long weekend. Running on low for two full days (noonish to late) killed a 20 lb bottle. As I said in an earlier email 20,000 btu = 1 lb roughly of consumption per hour. So, running a 35,000 btu unit on high will kill a 20 pounder in short order.

Whatever you get, think about some kind of container for it as the lava rock will shake out as most are open bottomed and might create a mess. I am getting a friend to make up a draw string bag to stick the whole thing in.
04 3500 4X4 Auto Cummins QC
Onboard air, Air bags, Pac Brake
05 Cougar 244EFS, Flexair Pin Box, Dexter Equalizers
6x6v, 900watt, 60a Renology MPPT, 2200w Xantrex, 3500w IPower Genset
VA7RKC Advanced

Everything runs on smoke, don't let the smoke out

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
Ive got an Outland fire bowl from Costco here in Canada and kinda like it. Only used it for a couple hours but seems like it doesn't use much fuel. I think the box said 7 to 11 hours on a 20 pound tank.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
That's why we got ours after a few years of bans. Haven't had a ban since. lol

It is nice the first night when you are pooped from driving and setting up, don't feel like finding wood for a fire, much less cutting it up. It's nice when you want to sit out a bit but not hours. It's a pain to build a fire only to put it out half burnt. Same thing when it might rain or get windy. Sometimes it is just nice to twist a knob and go in.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Up here the outland fire bowls are pretty popular, Costco sells them for $90 CDN so the price is right. 58,000 btu.

I bought one but haven't used it yet so can't comment on it. I only got it for when there's a fire ban.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:
Campfire in a Can. Its the best by far. It gives off the most warmth and looks like a natural wood fire. With a five gallon propane tank you'll get anywhere from 12-20 hours of fire depending on the setting.

X2
X3

BTW- BTU is BTU, period. Anything that doesn't use much propane also makes nowhere near the same amount of heat that this one does. Can you turn it down? Of course, but you can't turn the other UP.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350