cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible Problems at US Border

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that everyone is being careful with hygiene due to the Coronavirus. But there are other concerns. In the US and Canada people are hoarding food and supplies in case they become confined to their house. Although that seems extreme it really could happen. Even in Mexico those who can afford to buy more are emptying store shelves. I was in HMO yesterday and the big stores had pallets of bleach on display. Every other cart had Cloro. Hand sanitizer sells out as soon as a shipment arrives. I did not notice any specific shortage of food. I do know that many over the counter meds will be in short supply as most of the ingredients come from China. But the biggest problem COULD be returning to the USA. The outbreak is changing by the hour and as soon as more testing is done it will cause even more panic. President Trump was asked if he was going to close the Southern border and he gave a vague answer. Should that happen would they just close the gates or screen people? Who knows? But one should be prepared to spend more time in Mexico. For those in RV's that is no big deal. But imagine the Saskatchewan farmer who is on a 7 day junket to Maz. If the planes are not flying what does he do. Chaos would erupt. Perhaps none of the above will transpire but it is food for thought. No harm in being proactive.

Moisheh
15 REPLIES 15

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Moisheh,

It has already gone on for a couple of months in China. I can see no reason that the same pattern may happen in North America.

I've been following the numbers here:

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Terryallan wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
I guess we all know about this hysteria and why it is here. It is the end result of poor government performance and the CDC that used to be in place to warn and protect us being unfunded.
People left to their own devices normally don't do well. Think of all the hurricanes and how all the Home Depots are empty of plywood. It happens every year and they still have no water or food for an emergency and those are the ones that happen yearly.
Wash you hands often, carry disinfectant wet sheets in your car and use them! Stay away from public anything as much as possible. Use common sense.

Actually it is caused by the over hype of the media. The virus itself is not as dangerous as the flue. it has a 98% survival rate, and so far in the US. The 9 deaths have all been in a Nursing home in Washington St. And were people that were already seriously ill. and we all know why the Media is pushing it so hard.

Not true. It is more dangerous than the flu which has a survival rate of 99.9%. That makes coronavirus 20 times more deadly than the flu. Not saying we need to panic, but let's get the facts right.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Down in old Mexico no more hand shake, no more fist bump, no more elbow and no hugs and kises, only shoe shakes and those with balance problems hag on to the lamp post.

Best greetings so far?

Bottms up with the cheves (beer) so keep the corona virus killers coming seรฑores!

navegator

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
Actually it is caused by the over hype of the media. The virus itself is not as dangerous as the flue (sic). .
Again with the media. What I see on TV is health officials and doctors saying what is medically and scientifically true, that it's more deadly than the flu, and Trump underplaying it and offering his uneducated opinions.

We can't even get through a disease without political discourse.

So the Flu kills 30,000 a year and now we have another flu-like virus. So if this new threat kills just another 30,000 or so that;s okay????

The current administration did try to weaken the CDC and they DID say it was a Democratic hoax. He also said not to worry as he would get the vaccine in a few months, which of course was an uneducated statement.

We are in an RV park down here in Florida and we now stand in a code 2 position with hand sanitizer everywhere. People doing elbow bumps as opposed to hand shakes and so on. Yes, we are concerned and frankly ,those of us with lung conditions, are even more cautionary.
Do as you feel is justified but for us an ounce of prevention.................
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Terryallan wrote:
Actually it is caused by the over hype of the media. The virus itself is not as dangerous as the flue (sic). .
Again with the media. What I see on TV is health officials and doctors saying what is medically and scientifically true, that it's more deadly than the flu, and Trump underplaying it and offering his uneducated opinions.

We can't even get through a disease without political discourse.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
navegator wrote:
Sr.moisheh do not worry to much with the corona virus, these blog epidemiologist experts do not understand that if alcohol kills germs and viruses on the outside then drink more coronas and drown the virus inside

Finally, a logical and sensible answer. I'm going to the beer store to stock up on necessary supplies.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Sr.moisheh do not worry to much with the corona virus, these blog epidemiologist experts do not understand that if alcohol kills germs and viruses on the outside then drink more coronas and drown the virus inside, next year the Russians are going to come out with the "TIARA" virus and we are going to have a shot of tequila with the corona, that way we kill the "corona and the tiara" viruses and enjoy the tequilitas and coronitas.
Pase un buen dia Sr. moisheh y acurdese de tomar las coronitas!

navegator LOL!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œThe outbreak is changing by the hour and as soon as more testing is done it will cause even more panic.โ€

Do you have any facts? What testing? What panic? Youโ€™re panicking!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
I guess we all know about this hysteria and why it is here. It is the end result of poor government performance and the CDC that used to be in place to warn and protect us being unfunded.
People left to their own devices normally don't do well. Think of all the hurricanes and how all the Home Depots are empty of plywood. It happens every year and they still have no water or food for an emergency and those are the ones that happen yearly.
Wash you hands often, carry disinfectant wet sheets in your car and use them! Stay away from public anything as much as possible. Use common sense.

One glaring comment above that is all over the media needs correction. The CDC is NOT under funded. Yes, President trump tried to cut the budget....but congress over-ruled that ....and actually increased CDC funding. President Trump did sign that budget agreement.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
I am sure pleased that the forum is full of infectious disease experts. But then forums usually have lots of know it alls. None of us know whether this will pass quickly or linger for months. The purpose of my post was not to get into a political discussion or to ask for whether you think it is good or bad. I was only commenting that the hysteria (deserved or not) could make life difficult for Americans or Canadians who are in Mexico and that they should be proactive. If you are not a foreign citizen that is travelling Mexico please go to some forum that discusses the merits of roof sealing tape. For those that think the disease is a media hoax please come back and comment in a month.

Moisheh

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
I guess we all know about this hysteria and why it is here.

Actually it is caused by the over hype of the media. The virus itself is not as dangerous as the flu. it has a 98% survival rate, and so far in the US. The 9 deaths have all been in a Nursing home in Washington St. And were people that were already seriously ill. and we all know why the Media is pushing it so hard.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we all know about this hysteria and why it is here.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
I think the fear on the part of the Government is that the border crossings in or near medium to large cities COULD cause local hospitals to be overwhelmed with foreign nationals seeking better care in the US.
I doubt they would try to shut down all crossings.

Talleyho69
We are calling it the Beer Flu, and at least here in Zihuatanejo, all is normal.

I wouldn't worry about border crossing at this time. Hopefully calmer minds will prevail.