cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Predator 3500 genny LCD readout not showing AMPS

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Been looking for one of these generators for a while at a decent price. I found a guy who apparently gets a lot of bulk tools like these and sells these generators at a pretty good price as a side hustle. He has a long history of good reviews and I talked to him at length and seems to know what he's talking about.

He has 2 of these right now. One with 100 hrs which doesn't really bother me (I'd rather have some hours than no hours) and one with 10 hours but the LCD screen is broken. I did a lot of research and apparently this is a common problem. The LCD won't show AMP output (just blank) but they work fine otherwise. They produce proper amps it just doesn't display it.

The price is good enough for me to consider either of these. They are about half the price of a new one. The LCD doesn't concern me, I can always put a meter on it or replace the stock one for $65.

Thoughts?

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the things EVERY RVer should have is what we generically call a "Surge Guard" one that really is.... Now Surge Guard sadly means many things.

You know those 6 outlet power strips which say they are SURGE GUARDS. (That's not what I'm talking about)

There are some plug in units that have a few LED's on them. NO numbers just a few led's.. Not talking about them either

Then there is the Progressive Industries Top end units and Southwire/TRC top end units. (I actually prefer the hard wired ones with remote) These units show Amps. Volts and a host of error codes.

Now on my class A I wired mine so it did not operate when I was using the Onan Generator (I trusted the ONAN) but it found several park side issues.

It also shows amps.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Guy sold them both before I got there. He was about 2 hrs away. Back to square one.

Thanks for all the replies.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
slider45 wrote:
I would go with 100hours as it sounds reliable.

So you can have a LCD screen to stare at? LOL

The 100s of Hondas I've bought or used never had that screen...and still don't. Maybe they'd be better with one?

Note the sarcasm, take the low hour one. Better chance it won't blow a Chinesium gasket or something.

Or maybe I'm doing it all wrong and should take up generator watching as a hobby?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
I would go with 100hours as it sounds reliable.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Voltage is important to watch. If the current gets to high, the unit will shut down. And if the unit shuts down, reduce the load and restart. Simple.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another approach. Unless you're just "into" watching a LCD display on a generator, there's no reason to monitor the output unless you don't trust the machine.
In which case you can probably guess my suggestion.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
Skibane wrote:
Does the broken one still display watts?

If so, amps = watts / volts

I thought of that. I will ask when I call him later.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the broken one still display watts?

If so, amps = watts / volts

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
I'd probably get the one with the working LCD. 100hr is nothing and if you go to resell it, someone may want a discount due to the LCD not working...but not a big deal either way.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't have an issue buying these generators.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad