cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prepping for sale

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is a new one to me. No, not ready yet but the thought has been there.

When the day comes to sell, that will be it. We won't be getting another so transferring stuff from old to new is not even an option here. We don't have a house in the US so moving stuff out & storing it someplace is not an option. Shipping stuff home to Bermuda is not an option. Way too expensive & most is RV specific anyway.

Coming from the marine world cruising boats, watergoing RVs, are often sold 'turnkey'. The owner removes all of his personal stuff, clothing etc, but the boat is ready to go. This often includes all manner of spares, tools, flatware, everything in the galley but the food, & linens since it is often custom fitted.

How often are RVs sold in such ready to go condition? Given my situation my plan is to sell ready to go right down to the marine grill & tank. All the new owner will need to put onboard will be food & personal effects.

I carry much more than the usual fuses & lightbulbs as spares. As examples there are spare lug nuts, hinges, a selection of nuts bolts & eashers, landing leg parts, 12 ton bottle jack, 50lb of tools, compressor, extra 50amp & 30amp extension cables, all manner of adaptors including a 30amp for marine use even a spare axle & wet bolts. It goes on & on.

I figure that I will save somebody thousands in outfitting a bare bones trailer.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995
19 REPLIES 19

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you are expecting a higher resale for the RV because you've included an already outfitted unit, you might be waiting for a buyer for a long time, if ever. There may be exceptions, but normally, RV's are sold empty, and at best you get a starter kit, which is a sewer hose, a pressure regulator, and a toilet paper sample.

However, buying-selling from a private individual, well ... anything is permissible. But don't expect more money for the sale because it is outfitted with items that worked for you, but may be total junk to the new buyer. The new buyer may say, take the 'junk' and knock off $2000.00. Here again though, it's your sale, you can do whatever you want, just don't be upset at people because they are not accepting of the stuff you found valuable.

If you have "stuff" it makes better sense to part with it, Good Will, give it away to a fellow camper, yard sale it, or trash it. If you have some items you really want to get rid of, tell the buyer those things go with the camper, but you won't get any more $$$ out of it anyway, as the alternative was the dumpster.

We've accumulated a lot of "stuff" over the years. Tent camping, to Pop-up, 3 travel trailers and a 5er. Each step to a new camping style meant getting rid of stuff we no longer wanted or needed and getting new for what we did.

We gave everything away. When our last travel trailer had an outside kitchen sink and propane stove, we finally got rid of all our Coleman camp stove stuff. Actually, because of an on-line swap group my wife belong to, we ended up giving the two Coleman camp stoves, all the hoses, a 20 pound propane tank, propane T's, regulators, a gas lantern, the whole enchilada to a local Boy Scout troop.

I gave away all our Dish Sattlite system stuff, including the antenas, tripods, receiver, wires, everything. Just about 2 months ago I gave away a 1400 / 14000 pound Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch to a colleague at work who just bought a new travel trailer. I have a 5er, no need for it any more.

Just a couple weeks ago, I gave away the last few items I had at a campground. I walked around and found a trailer that could use those wind flappers for their awning. It's stuff like that, we've giving away to fellow campers as we've no longer needed it.

We figure, we have received our money's worth out of the item. We will never use it again. "It" served us well. We expect nothing back now. Give it to someone else who can benefit using it, and save a few dollars.

That's how we've always done it.

When the time comes to hang it all up, we'll probably just give away everything we've got. Leopards don't change their spots, no matter how old they get.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think its a great selling idea ready to go camping. you don,t need the equipt any more. so pass it on. sold my farm equipt that way and got a better price.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
My solution is to pass the RV off to a family member.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with sewer and water hoses, 2 power cables and a few dogbones. I've accumulated a bunch of stuff (spare parts, screws, light bulbs, hardware) that I would just leave with the bus if I were to sell. Right now it looks like it will go to a relative.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Try selling it that way. If no takers, donate and sell the bare unit.