cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prestone rv pink antifreeze

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
anyone else having problems finding this rv antifreeze in their local walmarts etc?
Proud father of a US Marine
49 REPLIES 49

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Windshield washer fluid isn't a particularly good option....

That's putting it mildly! Using windshield washer is a horrible option for all the reasons you listed.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
FWIW (doesn't get real cold here) I've been using windshield washer fluid since we moved to WA where there are milder winters, for my camper tanks and boat ballast tanks without issue. And its only like $1.99/gal on sale.

Water lines, hw tank, boat engine all get blown out or drained and dry stored.

Windshield washer fluid isn't a particularly good option, really, and in any event RV antifreeze is about the same price (at least around here). Most winter windshield washer fluid uses methyl alcohol (methanol or wood alcohol) as the antifreezing agent. That is pretty poisonous stuff; a good swig or two could cause blindness. You very definitely do not want to use it on any system that carries fresh water. It's also more chemically reactive than ethyl alcohol (ethanol or grain alcohol) or the other antifreeze agents that get used, though it should generally not be harmful to the typical RV black or gray water system.

It's not a terrible idea to wash your hands after handling the windshield washer fluid, even when just filling up the reservoir in one's vehicle.

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Read your owners manual first and understand the equipment on your rig. For those just claiming "blow it out" can get some people in deep XXXX. Some rigs have Aqua hot or similar systems and it states in their instructions to "NOT" just only blow the lines out, or you can ruin the copper heating coils. That will cost you about $8000 in repairs.

RV antifreeze is mandatory in some cases. Our process is blowing out the lines and adding red pop. It gets cold here. We don't drink the tank or campground water anyway.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
loggenrock wrote:
I agree - I avoid the ethyl alcohol stuff. Really don't need to add anything else flammable to the rig... I prefer to use the Prestone when I can get it, too.

Now here I go again ruining someones day with facts. Just for your information, both ethylene glycol and propylene glycol ARE FLAMMABLE just like the ethyl alcohol . . . . . . stuff.

The open cup flashpoint for propylene glycol is 225 F. That's known as the temperature that it must be heated in the presence of an ignition source so that the vapor that comes off it will sustain a flame. The autoignition temperature for propylene glycol is 700 F. That's the temperature that, in the presence of oxygen, it will light on fire all by itself. (spontaneously combust) For ethanol, its about 690 F.

If your RV is already on fire, all three, ethanol, ethylene glycol and proplyene glycol have no problem adding to the flames.

Sorry to ruin your day. As an added sidenote, many classes of racing ban alcohol and glycol based coolants because of the fire hazard.

Chum lee

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
rtreptow7 wrote:
I saw this come up in a west marine ad https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit---50-f-marine-rv-water-system-glycol-alcohol-antifreeze-gal--14823330?recordNum=4. I got two
Gallons but when I read the fine print, it doesnโ€™t Protect down to -50 if you use it in pvc piping. Something like only -10. We get a lot colder than that around here so I wonโ€™t be using it.

I read the label on the West Marine bottle, "Propylene Glycol"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've used all types of RV anti-freeze over many years. I started using non-alcohol Prestone RV about 5 years ago, and could actually notice the seal lubrication, when operating the tank valves in the Spring. I make sure to add extra to the tanks, especially the black tank. The Prestone RV will not evaporate from the toilet, or traps, and is non-staining. After running through the system, I drain/blow it out the low points, into a bucket, to also dump in the black tank.

I ordered another case of 6 gals a while back, and it costs way more than the cheap ethanol stuff. RVing is not cheap, and many know how much fun it is to replace those tank valves, with an enclosed/insulated underbelly. Prestone RV works well for me. Others use what works for them, or just blow the lines, add whatever to the traps.

Jerry

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Over and over again, every year with this debate.

The antifreeze does not have to stay in the pipes all winter, it's used to displace the water. I winterize, de-winterize the same day. Leave some in the traps only.
Antifreeze can freeze solid but it will not expand, so... -30, -40, -50 are basically all the same.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
The RV antifreeze alcohol / no alcohol debate has been going on RV boards since there have been RV boards. Alcohol based antifreeze will not hurt anything, its forum myth.

Most RV owners get winterizing done at RV dealers and RV dealers buy antifreeze in bulk, usually in 55 gallon drums. Do you think they're buying 100% glycol based antifreeze that costs more? They're not, they're buying the cheapest availible.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

rtreptow7
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw this come up in a west marine ad https://www.westmarine.com/buy/seafit---50-f-marine-rv-water-system-glycol-alcohol-antifreeze-gal--14823330?recordNum=4. I got two
Gallons but when I read the fine print, it doesnโ€™t Protect down to -50 if you use it in pvc piping. Something like only -10. We get a lot colder than that around here so I wonโ€™t be using it.
2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Crew Cab 6.0L 4.10
2019 KZ Durango 1500 286BHD fifth wheel
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew CAb 6.0L 3.73 REPLACED
2004 Chevy 2500HD Exteneded Cab 6.0L 4.10 gears REPLACED
2004 KZ Frontier 2453P-F fifth wheel-REPLACED

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
FWIW (doesn't get real cold here) I've been using windshield washer fluid since we moved to WA where there are milder winters, for my camper tanks and boat ballast tanks without issue. And its only like $1.99/gal on sale.

Water lines, hw tank, boat engine all get blown out or drained and dry stored.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Depends, some vegetable oil in the drain after "BLOWING" it out keeps the odors at bay. Also a small amount to seal the toilet bowl."

My corrected statement above.

Blow the traps a JaxDad mentioned and add a cup to each trap. For the toilet simply push the foot pedal down and have the sprayer open while someone gives it a blast of air. THEN add veggie oil to seal the toilet bowl.

Pretty darn simple!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
WHY use anything??? Simply blow out your system.
You really do want to pour something in the drain traps and toilet bowl.

Depends, some vegetable oil in the drain after closing it out keeps the odors at bay. Also a small amount to seal the toilet bowl.
So you agree. Your asking "why use anything?" ignores the fact that you should use something. Not sure why you said "depends?" Depends on what? Whether you want the RV to stink the next year because the traps are open all winter?

Oh, and oil floats on water so unless you blow out the traps (uck) it really won't displace most of what's in the trap and you're still in danger of freezing. Simpler to just pour in a cup of antifreeze.

Why โ€œuckโ€?

Iโ€™ve been doing it for years. Take a damp rag, wrap it around the tip of a standard blow gun, stuff it in the drain opening and give a short blast of air. If itโ€™s a dual sink just put the plug in the second opening.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
Well, i believe i found a solution. A friend of mine has a boat, and he advised to go to West Marine. I just checked and they have virgin, propylene glycol for fresh water systems. I will just pick some up there if i can't find prestone

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Depends, some vegetable oil in the drain after closing it out keeps the odors at bay. Also a small amount to seal the toilet bowl.

I'd be more concerned about water freezing in the trap than some odors.

I did forget the traps ONCE! Used antifreeze next time. But veggie oil will work just fine.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD