cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Prince William Forest in VA.

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
We are going to be hosting at Prince William Forest National Park Va. in August and was wondering if anyone has camp there before or knows anything about the park? We will be hosting for the cabin camps.
6 REPLIES 6

murphy38
Explorer
Explorer
We are hosting in cabin camp 1 off 234. The host site is off to its self, not a bad site but not very level. The work has been real easy so for not a lot to do. There is a strange group of people in both 1 and 4 wirh about 300 people in both camp. Traffic not that bad it you stay off I95. Not a bad gig if you like being off to your self

2001_Ford_E450
Explorer
Explorer
There are two places in PWFP for RV camping. One is the concessionaire run, PWFP Campground (formerly known as the travel trailer village). The other is Oak Ridge Campground. PWFP campground has full hookups and a pool. It is located off Va Rte 234 just northwest of I-95. Thats where there is rush hour driven traffic morning and evening. Oak Ridge is tent and primitive (no hookups) RV camping. OR is off Va Rte 619 and is a two lane road in a rural setting. OR is not a busy campground. There is a camphost site at OR with at least electricity. I cant help you regarding what the cabin camp host sites are like as I've never seen them. The main thing to be aware of is the ongoing I-95 construction this summer. It is best to avoid I-95 it if possible. You could come up rte 50 to the beltway, around to I-66W, then out to Rte 234 South, which you'll take to the south. Its a longer route, but could take less time, depending on when you come. U can check for closures here http://www.95expresslanes.com/. You did not say which cabin camp you are hosting. This morning I drove through cabin camp 5 (the cc 2 and 5 entrance is Mawavi road off of Rte 619). Now I understand that the cc host accomodations is a cabin, not an RV site. It looks to be about 700 sq ft or so with a covered porch. There was electricity there. I would have spoken with the host(s) but no one was around and no guests were in the camp either. There are cabin camp area photos on the park web space. Look here for the links to photos and maps: http://www.nps.gov/prwi/planyourvisit/cabin-camping.htm

Photo of I-95 express lane construction.

DianneOK
Explorer
Explorer
we drove thru there several years ago....the sites were small and we decided it was not for us.....
Dianne (and Terry) (Fulltimed for 9 years)
Donnelly, ID
HAM WB6N (Terry)
2012 Ford F350, diesel, 4x4 SRW, crew cab, longbed
2009 Lance 971 Truck Camper, loaded

Life Member Good Sam
Geocache..."RVcachers"
RV net Blog

[COLOR=]Camping, nature's way to feed the mosquitoes

fatmanobx
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of deer and turkey in the park! Didn't really care much for the camp sites though..
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy RIP
Ford F250 Super Duty

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I volunteered there a handful of years ago at the visitor center. It is a great little park in the middle of high density population. The access to a washer/dryer then was a bit odd and very inconvenient. I used my days off to drive take the metro into Washington.

luvglass
Explorer
Explorer
We hosted Cabin Camps there a couple of years ago. It's a great gig, not much to do and wonderful people to work with. The only thing bad is the traffic outside is a killer. Park is a refuge from Washington madness.
If you have any questions, contact me off board at wishnie@gmail.com
Good luck,
Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies