cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane safety

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
A house in Wisconsin was virtually leveled due to an LP gas explosion. The family was away on vacation at the time. The pix show how powerful the explosion was. Interestingly, there was no fire involved. Kind of makes you think twice about propane safety.

http://www.wxow.com/story/22303339/2013/05/20/home
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch
13 REPLIES 13

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
At the house behind ours, less than 100 yards away, parents were at work, the son & his GF were grilling on their deck when the propane tank exploded and burnt the house down. Found parts of the grill in our back yard. Luckily they were inside the house at the time and got out the front safely.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Just talking about propane.....smh
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
prolandsurveyor wrote:
Propane makes very good refrigerant ......except it is highly explosive.
And just what does that have to do with this thread?

We're talking about how a house full of propane fumes explosed without a fire being involved. And actually it is very simple. The fire (caused by a spark, ignition source, static charge, or spontaneous combustion) was blown out by the explosion.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

prolandsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Propane makes very good refrigerant ......except it is highly explosive.
2013 Thor majestic 28a
1971 vw superbeetle

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
A propane refill class was just held about 15 yards from where I'm typing,

I do not know the explosive power of Propane off hand but I do know it is serious. however for the maximum effect, be it propane, Natural gas or gasoline vapor, you need the proper mixture of Air and Fuel.. once that happens, add an ignition source, A spark from a switch opening or closing, a cigarette ash, a lighter, two pieces of metal striking each other, a hot wire.

And.... Well, when the instructor ask what happens.. I answered "you land one county over" he liked my answer (The proper answer was an explosion but I put it better).

That said.. I have lived with propane many many years, Grew up with it in fact, and never in 59 years of living with propane (I'm 62 by the way) and natural gas as well, have I had a problem. Came close one time... but replaced the defective device before the problem manifested. (Discovered the problem while loading it on the scrap truck that hauled it away via visual inspection.. the best way to find one I might add)

IIRC it's 8%..propanes biggest danger is it is heavier than air.so accumulates in the low places.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
I would assume that more deaths and fires occur from electrical problems than propane . Every thing is dangerous when used improperly !

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would assume that more deaths and fires occur from electrical problems than propane . Every thing is dangerous when used improperly !

lison
Explorer
Explorer
My brother blew up his cabin last Summer from LP leak coming from a small corrosion hole in the flexible pipe connecting kitchen stove. When he lit the top burner on the stove for the first time of the season, it blew him across the cabin and the ensuing fire destroyed the cabin and burnt him pretty bad. The issue with propane is that it is heavier than the air, so it goes down and you don't smell it, where as natural gas goes up and you know it's there by the smell. Alarms should be positioned near floor, and kept clean and working. I've got new respect when dealing with any LP.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
A propane refill class was just held about 15 yards from where I'm typing,

I do not know the explosive power of Propane off hand but I do know it is serious. however for the maximum effect, be it propane, Natural gas or gasoline vapor, you need the proper mixture of Air and Fuel.. once that happens, add an ignition source, A spark from a switch opening or closing, a cigarette ash, a lighter, two pieces of metal striking each other, a hot wire.

And.... Well, when the instructor ask what happens.. I answered "you land one county over" he liked my answer (The proper answer was an explosion but I put it better).

That said.. I have lived with propane many many years, Grew up with it in fact, and never in 59 years of living with propane (I'm 62 by the way) and natural gas as well, have I had a problem. Came close one time... but replaced the defective device before the problem manifested. (Discovered the problem while loading it on the scrap truck that hauled it away via visual inspection.. the best way to find one I might add)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened due to a natural gas leak in my parents' neighborhood. An entire house blew up. Killed the lady that lived there.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please don't let this turn into another 'driving with the propane' on thread!!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

past-MIdirector
Explorer
Explorer
That's why they installed propane detectors in RVs. Most will shut off the gas between the tank and the inside if fumes are present besides setting off an alarm.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened in Whitefish, Montana, many years ago.
It was determined that a Propane-powered pickup had been parked in a closed garage, with the propane valve left on. A leak developed somewhere in the system, and when the propane level reached the pilot light on the water heater, the garage and the house disappeared! The explosion broke windows several blocks away.
The same thing could occur with a natural gas leak, or an acetylene leak, or a leak of ANY gaseous fuel. LEAKS are a BAD thing!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"