cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proper Tire Presure

Beerdawg
Explorer
Explorer
What should the proper tire pressure be on ST205/75R15 tires on a travel trailer? Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run them at exactly what the "maximum" on the sidewall says.

I posted this in another thread:

Tires should be cold inflated to the tire's max. sidewall pressure in the morning before heading off or after at least 3 hours of sitting in full shade. Don't go by the placard figure. The tires may have been upgraded by an owner or the factory. We have factory optional LRD tires that should be run at 65 psi however the factory used their standard placard for LRC tires (50 psi). Using the placard psi in our case would result in serious damage and a blowout(s).

The term "maximum" used on the sidewall tires creates confusion. It is actually the temp. that the tire should be cold inflated to in order to carry the load rating indicated on the sidewall. Lowering the pressure can result in overloaded tires (not good).

Cold inflation pressure is the inflation pressure taken with tires at the prevailing atmospheric temperatures. Tire pressure only changes about 2% for every 10F change in temp. Running your tires low will damage them from overheating and is a good invitation for an eventual blowout. You should never bleed them down when they are hot. Tires are designed and tested to be able to withstand up to around 3 times the sidewall pressure so no worries about exploding tires from running in high ambient temps.

For some tires (only a couple I think) such as GY Marathons, you can raise the psi by 10 psi and be able to run at 75 mph max.

Go and google "RVtiresafety" and you will find your answer there. Lots of reading on anything you ever wanted to know about RV tires. Remember, ST trailer tires are more "delicate" in comparison to other tire types and you want to take all the recommended measures to take care of them to minimize premature wear and reduce the chances of a blowout. Heat is the biggest enemy of ST tires by under-inflating and/or running above 65 mph.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Beerdawg wrote:
What should the proper tire pressure be on ST205/75R15 tires on a travel trailer? Thanks

Max psi per the sidewall, will allow your tires to perform their best. Low psi builds heat and heat kills tires.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
I have yet to see a trailer with recommended pressure on a sticker, but every trailer tells you max pressure at max load.

Tire manufacturers publish load/inflation charts for a reason, proper pressure is the pressure at which the tire can support the load applied.

Overinflated isn't as bad as underinflated but still has drawbacks such as decreased traction, decreased tread life, increased susceptibility to road hazards, and transfer more road imperfections to the trailer.

The correct answer to weigh your axles and adjust accordingly. 5 psi over chart pressure is also recommended, up to sidewall max, if you will be driving 60-65 for a long ways. Until you can weigh your trailer run max pressure, but do weigh it.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
Do NOT use the max pressure molded into the sidewall. That's the maximum the tire can take without blowing up (with a safety factor, of course). You need to weigh the load on the tires (when typically loaded for a trip), then consult the tire manufacturer's load/pressure chart.

As an example, the tires on my Kia minivan are rated to 45 psi by the molded # on the sidewall. The vehicle manufacturer recommends 34 in the front and 38 in the back. With our typical load (me, DW and our two Labradors) the weighbridge numbers suggest 31 front and 35 rear. The Toyos I have on the van are at about 55,000 miles (van has 120K) and are still in good shape, using those numbers.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
Max at stated on the tire.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If their close to the OEM capacity and close to the trailers OEM axle capacity I would run max pressures.
Close spaced axles toward the center of the trailer places tremendous side loads on the tires as they slide sideways while going around corners. Just one of many good reasons to use max pressures.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
ST tires are best run close to or at max psi as stated on sidewall. There should also be a white label, most often placed at the front corner of the trailer by the TT manufacturer that will indicate proper inflation psi. Every label I've ever seen at the dealers lot or RV shows always uses max psi of the ST tire installed on the trailer. Filling an ST tire to far below max psi will cause it to overheat, issues including tread separation and catastrophic failure are often times the end result.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
If your RV came with that size then the answer is use the MAX pressure marked on the tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
There are at least 100 topics on this. It has to do with the weight on each axle and tire . . . Do a search
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie