cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Proper way to weigh rig? Scale update.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to do some weighing at a scale and was wondering what is the best way to do this. I am trying to see if my WD system(Equalizer) is setup properly and also to find out my tongue weight.

Thank you.
22 REPLIES 22

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the OP started a new thread on this topic I am going to close this one. You can see his new thread here.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
If the "revised" values are:

_______________Front____Rear
Truck only_______3620____2820
Combo wo/WD___3500____4240
Combo w/WD____3400____4120

it's impossible for the front axle load to decrease by 120# while the rear increases by 1420#.
And it's impossible, when WD is applied, for the front axle to decrease by another 100# while the rear axle decreases by 120#.

I recommend a complete re-weigh (all three sets with no changes in loading of TV or TT) if the OP really wants to know how much load is being transferred.

Ron

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - When you opt to "re-weigh" the same day on CAT certified scales, the fee is only $2 per re-weigh. Please be aware so toy don't over pay!

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Close. I really need to get off these day/night rotations. I forgot to include my truck re-weigh in my 9:20 am post from today.

Truck alone today.

Front Axle: 3620#

Rear Axle: 2820#

Total:6440

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
"Guessing" that your unladen front axle weight is around 3,500 pounds, you are well within what Chevrolet currently requires for Front Axle Load Restoration on a 2500 HD. Some will say that "more is better", of course.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Yes I will need to go back. In my fear of the lightning, hail and 50 mph wind I completely forgot to move the truck off the scale when I weighed unhitched. Also after I weighed just the truck this morning the assistant manager (Kwik Trip) recognised me from the previous day. During our conversation about the tornado that passed thru shortly after I left, he pointed out that the attendant the day before probably had measuremanents with me standing at the front of the truck instead of in it. So this could throw some of the numbers off.

Here are numbers from when I weighed it when I first picked it up 18 20 months ago. I have added one more washer since then.

TT and truck with WD on:

Steer Axle: 3300

Drive Axle: 3920

Trailer Axle: 7120

Gross: 14340

TT and Truck with NO WD:

Steer Axle: 2940

Drive Axle: 4420

Trailer Axle: 6980

Gross Weight: 14340

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Long story short, forget all the assumptions and go back to the scales when it is not storming. The three weighings required have been posted often.

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
The numbers as posted, don't make sense.
However, it looks as though the trailer was on the scales during the "Un-hitched from truck" weighing. If so, the tongue weight probably was included in the "un-hitched" rear axle load.

If we assume the tongue weight was 1000#, having the TT attached with no WD should have removed about 400# from the front axle and added about 1400# to the rear axle.

If we assume the "un-hitched" rear axle load really was 3980-1000 = 2980#, that would give a more realistic load.
And, if we add the OP's 280# to the 3520# front axle value, the resulting 3800# would make more sense for the "un-hitched" front axle.

The decrease in rear axle load from 4240# to 4120# is consistent with a TT axle load increase from 7360# to 7400#.
However, the front axle load should have increassed by about 80#, but the data show a decrease of 100#.

I think it's safe to say the tongue weight is around 1000#, but if you really want to know, you need to do the weighings again.
Next time, you should not have the TT on the scales when you do the "un-hitched" weighing.
Also, try to ensure that all people and cargo remain in the same locations for all weighings.

Ron

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
TomG2 wrote:
mojoroo;

I am curious, I see where you edited your post. What did you change? I still see a nearly 300 pound change in the Total weight.

He didn't change anything except put spaces between the sentences to make it easier to read. The wording and numbers are exactly the same except he added the stuff at the end about clothing and food.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
mojoroo;

I am curious, I see where you edited your post. What did you change? I still see a nearly 300 pound change in the Total weight.

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Someone else can do the math, but seldom does the front axle lose weight after WD is applied.

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I reweighed just the truck today do to the fact I was in a full on storm and not have had the truck positioned correct. This is without the hitch or WD bars installed. I also was missing about 3-4 gallons of gas and a box that weighs #20.

So is my tongue 1300# or 1080#. Just worried I might be maxing my hitch out which is 1500# when used with WD.

EDIT: Forgot truck alone weight from today. :S

Truck alone today.

Front Axle: 3620#

Rear Axle: 2820#

Total:6440

mojoroo
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I got some numbers. I had to work fast as storms were reported close in the area after I got the rig on the scale. Winds were blowing at 40-50 MPH so not sure if that made the numbers off.

#1 Hitched without WD. Front 3500# Rear 4240# TT 7360# Total 15100

#2 Hitched WITH WD Front 3400# Rear 4120# TT 7400# Total 14920

#3 Un-hitched from truck Front 3520# Rear 3980# TT 7180# Total 14680

Now on the third one I am 85% sure the scale weighed without me on it. I weight 280# and a storm was in full effect. I also was missing daughters clothing and food in the fridge.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
The sequence of the three weighings is a matter of personal choice.

But, if you are going to hitch up the WD bars or unhitch the WD bars while on the scale,
you should ask the operator for permission to do so.

Ron

Good point. I just assumed someone would do that off the scale. Never thought to mention it.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page