cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulled to the left when being passed by Big Rigs

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm towing 10,000 bumper pull Toy Hauler. I'm under my Gross weight in both the truck and Toy Hauler.. My TW is 1440 pounds including the hitch.

My trailer sits level when being towed. But everytime I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over.

Is there anything I can do to deal with this or is it just then nature of the beast!
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
41 REPLIES 41

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tvov wrote:
Airtabs! I haven't read about them in a couple years it seems. Interesting to hear about them being used.

In my class C they reduce noise.

Mileage into the wind = no improvement.

Mileage with a tail wind = significant improvement.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:
I'm towing 10,000 bumper pull Toy Hauler. I'm under my Gross weight in both the truck and Toy Hauler.. My TW is 1440 pounds including the hitch.

My trailer sits level when being towed. But everytime I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over.

Is there anything I can do to deal with this or is it just then nature of the beast!

How much are you being "sucked over"? Some movement / wind buffeting is going to happen no matter what hitch and truck setup you have. If you are being moved around so much that you think it is a safety issue, then you need to examine your hitch, weight distribution (all 3 - hitch, truck load, and trailer load), tires and suspension (on truck and trailer).

My little 21ft trailer moves around when trucks go by, but I am ready for the movement (watching the trucks approaching me). Usually I don't do anything - the trailer moves a bit, but not enough to have to "correct" for anything. Just hold the steering wheel and keep on going.

Most likely it is just a case of "nature of the beast"!

See you on the road!

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Airtabs! I haven't read about them in a couple years it seems. Interesting to hear about them being used.

dedmiston
bgum wrote:
An Airstream will prevent that.

Do they make a toy hauler for the OP?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston
Lwiddis wrote:
"But every time I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over."

Does anyone not get sucked over when a big rig passes?

Me. Not even an inch.

But maybe my 45โ€™ fifth wheel qualifies me as a big rig too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
cbshoestring wrote:
As a fellow glamper, and someone who drives a big ol' road hog, I say ditto to riding the white line.

Some of ya'll seem to forget that contraption behind you is 7.5-8 feet wide. You start hugging the zipper with the TV, that toy your hauling is taking up space I need. At 108" wide, there isn't much left of my lane that I am not using. Sure hate to suck you in, start rubbing like NASCAR.

By the way.....even big trucks feel a bit of tug when another rolls by. Tends to be more of a rock than a tug...but it is felt.

I have not been in Pa for over 40 years. Did they wash the highways in hot water? Cause them to shrink? Back then city streets would kinda squeeze in on you, but the highways where a truck was likely to pass? Narrow lanes not a issue.
Years back, I passed a sign on the way to CG. Said loads over 10 feet prohibited so many miles ahead. Walking my dog around, couple guys watched their wives ask me directions (That state plates on pickup, and a Mack hat, I guess they thought I knew the area) They wanted to know how to get to the city about 100 miles away. Told them go right down the highway. Guy asked "WHAT ABOUT THE WIDE LOAD RESTRICTION?" I explained first to detour around would be a extra 50-60 miles most lanes of it not much wider than what the state would require to allow 10 ft wide loads to meet, and crooked. I think most people that have never paved, or moved oversized loads think lanes are much smaller than they are.
OP, I think if you get in the habit of running your trailer near the shoulder that will reduce the effect some. Riding to right will also let you see what is coming. Next adjustment between the ears, is know it is going to happen, but will not move you much. What makes it worse is you over-correcting, so you bobble all over your lane.

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
WNYBob wrote:
What tires do you have. Soft sidewalls, allow sideways movement. Go with a stiffer tire!
Also check your weights per TV and TT axel weights, especially the TV front end, to light will exaggerate sway.

I have 10 plys on both the truck and the trailer. Besides WDH I have two anti sway bars one on each side.

My TW is close to 15% so I think its good, I tried lowering the front of the trailer a inch but it did not make any difference.

I will try moving to the right and see how that works.
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
As a fellow glamper, and someone who drives a big ol' road hog, I say ditto to riding the white line.

Some of ya'll seem to forget that contraption behind you is 7.5-8 feet wide. You start hugging the zipper with the TV, that toy your hauling is taking up space I need. At 108" wide, there isn't much left of my lane that I am not using. Sure hate to suck you in, start rubbing like NASCAR.

By the way.....even big trucks feel a bit of tug when another rolls by. Tends to be more of a rock than a tug...but it is felt.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
1L243 wrote:

I use the Reese Dual Cam hitch and have little or no swaying when big trucks pass me.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
2112 wrote:
bukhrn wrote:
Your not privileged......
I feel it hauling my FW but the truck and trailer move as one. It's not as dramatic or concerning as towing a TT

I've driven MH, 5ers and TT...they all react to a passing truck.

If the TT is set up properly, there is nothing dramatic or concerning.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"But every time I'm passed by a big rig or a big box truck I get sucked over."

Does anyone not get sucked over when a big rig passes?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1L243 wrote:

1. Work towards not getting your doors blown off by semi trucks. Maybe they drive alot faster where you're from, but I can't imagine putzing down the freeway that slow (we are talking divided highways here, right, because if a semi has enough time to pass you on a 2 lane, you're a rolling road block...)

2. You can believe "under 10klbs" means it's not that heavy of a trailer, but having never towed a bp toy hauler until a couple years ago, about same size as yours, they tow a little "bigger" than I would have thought.
That with 30+ years of towing about anything you could hook to a pickup truck, and many things that probably shouldn't have been towed by a truck the size I was driving.
That said, I feel they tow pretty well for what they are. Spread axles would help a bunch though, IMO.

3. Idk what you have for a wdh and antisway, and how much that helps. I tow naked, plop 'er on the hitch, air up the bags and roll. I can feel the trailer wiggle when the truck does (my truck for sure tows worse than yours with the janky lift, huge offset tires and a wore out steering box) but it straightens itself out just as fast.
The question here, is what is your "other" experience towing? Good chance, it's just the nature of the beast as you put it as you don't mention any basis for comparison.

that's my 2c.
Or you could take the inane suggestion to buy an Airsteem from the peanut gallery!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
Your not privileged......
I feel it hauling my FW but the truck and trailer move as one. It's not as dramatic or concerning as towing a TT
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Your not privileged, it happens to my Class C too, I'm sure it happens to other classes too. Sometimes it's only a little, other times it makes you get a tighter grip on the wheel. :E
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
What tires do you have. Soft sidewalls, allow sideways movement. Go with a stiffer tire!
Also check your weights per TV and TT axel weights, especially the TV front end, to light will exaggerate sway.