cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about TPMS and valve stems

Talldog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm researching a new TPMS system for my MH and new toad (TST, Doran, Pressure Pro, TireMinder) and I'm concerned about the effect of sensors on the valve stems. Both TST and Pressure Pro say you need metal stems, I haven't heard from the others yet.

That's fine on the motorhome, but it will be a problem on my 2017 Wrangler. It has rubber stems and you can't get metal ones from Jeep, because they've had problems with them in the past. My dealer has no position on aftermarket valve stems, but they did say that the stems screw into the Jeep's TPMS system, so obviously there would be a risk there, and I'd rather not do it.

Does anyone have experience with this particular issue?
Talldog
2008 Allegro Bay 35TSB FRED
2017 Jeep Wrangler Toad
12 REPLIES 12

bbaker2001
Explorer
Explorer
I just put on the TST and installed metal. I am using the cap style only on my 5er.only problem so far is they don't always keep the signal, then they start beeping. These went on after I had blowout
BB from California
2015 Ram 3500
2001 Cardinal
best friend is my wife ๐Ÿ™‚

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
FYI - I use TST TPMS (over 10 years). DRW Sprinter 3500 chassis - I installed Borg metal stems on duallies, reg. brass stems on fronts. Toad is a Suby - rubber stems since they are internal in-car TPMS. Use 507 sending caps on all tires without issue for multi-thousand miles. As stated, flow-thru senders weigh more, and need the metal stems. Cap-type are lighter. If you are still concerned re: weight, you can also remove the anti-theft cap from the senders, which lowers both their profile and weight even more. Even if toad has internal TPMS, you can't monitor that in the coach, hence the need for other unit. VERY pleased with TST products and support! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

Talldog
Explorer
Explorer
When I got home this evening, I had a second email from TST that said:

Metal valve stems are required for the 507 Flow Thru sensors. We recommend the 507 Cap sensors for the towed vehicle. They are light weight and designed for rubber valve stems. It is very common to set up a motorhome with 507 FT sensors and the tow vehicle with the 507 caps sensors. They are both user replaceable battery sensor and compatible with one another.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. The TST 507 seems to be heavily used and highly regarded by the folks on these forums, and that's the way I'm going to go.
Talldog
2017 Jeep Wrangler Toad

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought an inexpensive TPMS on Amazon for my 2011 Jeep Wrangler when towing it behind my RV. My Jeep does have it's own TPMS as required by the Feds. I also have the stock rubber stems on my Jeep tires. Have used the screw on TPMS caps for a couple years now without any problems. Even towed the Jeep to Alaska and back with it. On one recent trip I did have a puncture on one of the Jeep tires and my screw-on TPMS alerted me in the RV immediately.

The only real issue I've had with it is the batteries needed to be replaced in the screw-on sensors and the only indication I had were some false readings on tire pressures. The batteries did cost me about $20 and I replaced them all at the same time. No other problems since, other than the one flat tire it detected for me.

Now, on the subject of steel stems: I also bought a Tire Minder system for my RV since it doesn't have a factory installed TPMS. (Sprinter 3500 DRW doesn't fall under the legal requirement.) The Sprinter came with rubber stems and the TPMS system uses screw on caps. According to the folks at Tire Minder that shouldn't be a problem. On my last trip out it wasn't and the system worked just fine. However, on the trip back I kept getting false readings and lo tire pressure alarms on two of the tires (both rear, same side). I don't believe it was an issue with batteries as they were all factory fresh and recently installed. As a result I've removed the TPMS caps from my RV tires and won't be re-installing them until I replace the rubber valve stems with steel ones.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
I've had 4 immediate flat tires form having my Jeep Liberty metal valve stems broken off when the TPMS's were installed. The TPMS's do stick out beyond the side of the tire. First time I sent the car through a 'drag your car through' car wash and one of the stems was broken off by the guide rail in the car wash. The second was when I was sideswiped and a valve step was broken off. So my rule was, when I quit towing remove the TPMS's when I'm not towing. Forgot to remove the TPMS's last week and went through a car wash. Two valve stems broke off. I'm a really slow learner.

The tire shop replaced the two broken metal stems with rubber stems. Owner said that there were lots of problems with broken metal stems and the manufacturers were not using them anymore. Don't know if that is true but I can believe problems with broken metal stems.

I guess I'll find out if rubber stems are a problem with my TST's over time. Two metal stems and two rubber stems should be a good test.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Perhaps the mfg TMPS is connected to the stem. If so then perhaps that is why metal stems aren't available as there is no need.

So the general question is how can you adapt the MH TPMS to a newer toad?

I'd bet that TPMS mfgs are thinking about that.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Talldog
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
That sounds like the Jeep already has a TMPS system located inside the tire. I'd want to know more...

All new cars sold after 9/1/2007 are required to have TPMS installed. I asked my Jeep dealer if there was a remote monitor available, and they said no. I've also looked online to see if that's even possible, and I haven't found anything.

I'm guessing that I could find 3rd party metal stems, but like I said, I don't know if they would cause problems with the Jeep's internal sensors. I've read a lot online (and my dealer confirmed) that those systems are very finicky.
Talldog
2017 Jeep Wrangler Toad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Talldog wrote:
but they did say that the stems screw into the Jeep's TPMS system
That sounds like the Jeep already has a TMPS system located inside the tire. I'd want to know more...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jamesroadking
Explorer
Explorer
I've been running a Tiregard tire pressure system with those screw on caps on my Harley Davidson Electra Glide that has rubber valve stems in the mag wheels for about five years now without any problems.

Talldog
Explorer
Explorer
I sent an email to TST specifically asking about the Wrangler, and they just replied back with this:

The Jeep stems will be ok to use the 507 RV Cap system. Please feel free to call the office to discuss.
Talldog
2017 Jeep Wrangler Toad

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know about Jeep, but several Ford dealers and tire stores told me that there were no metal stems for the wheels on my Ford F350. That went on for years. Finally, I found one tire store that had metal stems!

The rubber stems would develop leaks at the rate of about one leak a year. Of course the leaks occurred only on the road during a trip.

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
You need metal stems. I wonder why Jeep has had problems with them. Do they have special wheels that nobody else uses? I have TST TPMS on my TT and Dodge Ram. No problems with any of them but I did put metal valve stems on all wheels.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide