cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question From a Really Big Guy Maybe You Can Answer

phattwoohie
Explorer
Explorer
First, let me say hello and thank you for deciding to read my question.

I am 40 years old and have never owned an RV or Motorhome but my wife and I want to purchase one in the next 12 months. I have a few reservations because of my size however. My wife is normal but I'm 449 pounds. I know I can find an RV with a larger bathroom, I've looked at some photos of some used ones with bigger walk in showers and toilets that were not squeezed in a corner.

My real concern is if I purchase a 5th wheel model and the fold out steps. I have never actually walked into an RV before but I'm worried about the fold out steps weight capacity and their ability to hold me as I walk up them. I was too embarrassed to call and talk to someone at a dealership, but I felt like online here I could be a bit more anonymous.

Do they make a heavy duty set of steps or how sturdy are the normal ones that come on an RV? I recently found out they make Handicapped model RV's with larger entrance doors and even wheelchair lifts. I have considered one of these models as they have a wider walkway throughout and usually bigger bathrooms standard. I don't want to have to go that route unless I have to though.

Any info is appreciated.
29 REPLIES 29

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Cool. Hope you comparison shopped. Prices are all over the place.

Hate to admit it, but I haven't ordered my new ones yet.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered two of those stabil jacks.....
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Because wood blocks and such may not always be the correct height I saw a guy once using an automotive scissor jack under the bottom step. Its always the right height.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

66vdub
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for sharing some great info!
I am 6-7 300 and it can be challenging at times.
Current Project: 1982 Coachmen 15' TT

SOLD: 1987 Honey 421s Class A

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
I like the seat riser idea. Although some of us (not naming names) gain enough winter weight that there's a possibility one's tummy might get in the way of a steering wheel.

There are all sorts of great modifications and assistive devices, tricks and tips. I'm sure the OP can find something he and his wife like that will work well for them.

The first step (bad pun totally intended) is getting them out to see some coaches!
It's his Super Power!

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
This is an RV step stabilizer that is rated for 750 pounds.

Alot of dealers use two under each bottom step (one at each end) on the coaches they bring to RV shows.

At 312 been using them for five plus years and wont use steps without them. As far as driver seat leg room issue that has been brought up at 5'18" since I could not move seat back had a riser fabricated that raised the seat 4 inches. And ditto on high profile toilet.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

restlesswind
Explorer
Explorer
GMandJM wrote:
This is an RV step stabilizer that is rated for 750 pounds.

A lot of dealers use two under each bottom step (one at each end) on the coaches they bring to RV shows.

2 of them for sure, otherwise, that bottom step will feel like a teeter totter if you don't step right in the center.
Even average size folks have had the steps break on them. With the supports, the problem is pretty well taken care of
'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
Thetford makes risers for some of their toilet models. My DW had 3 knee replacements and liked the higher thrones. We did that for a previous Pace Arrow. She only had 2 legs but wore one out in 10 years.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Houston Remodeler wrote:

4- He cannot squeeze past the bed or walk into the bedroom.

That's a very good point. The amount of space between the side of the bed and the wall is very "squeezy" in our RV and was even worse in our ViewFinder.

Also, if the OP is a tall person, when looking at MHs he may want to sit in the driver's seat with the slide in on the DS to make sure his seat can move back far enough to accommodate him.

There was a thread recently that indicated some taller drivers were uncomfortable because of the slide encumbering the chair placement. Not a concern for me, being one of those "vertically challenged" individuals.
It's his Super Power!

FishHaggis
Explorer
Explorer
Tall RV toilet?????? Well, I need to look that up. This is a good post!!
2013 StarCraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon, quad cab

Muddydogs
Explorer
Explorer
Also be aware that they make tall RV toilets as well as porcelain RV toilets. My 330 pounds make the cheap plastic stock RV toilet groan every now and then. I plan on replacing mine with a tall unit in the near future since at 6'10" its a long way down.
2015 Eclipse Iconic Toy Hauler made by Eclipse Manufacturing which is a pile of junk. If you want to know more just ask and I'll tell you about cracked frames, loose tin, walls falling off, bad holding tanks and very poor customer service.

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a person of size at 5'10, 190lbs so I have norhing to add to the suggestions posted. But I just wanted to say that I really respect and admire you and it has nothing to do with size. You're willing to put yourself out there, get out of your comfort zone, try new things, have some adventures, live life more fully..... You're not making excuses as to why you can't do something you're figuring out ways so that you can. So many people don't have the motivation or the courage to do that. Welcome to RVing!!!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC

Houston_Remodel
Explorer
Explorer
A very dear friend of ours is 5 foot 7 and weighs over 450 pounds. Together we learned a few things;

1- Watch the weight capacity of the furniture. While the Jackknife sofa is still usable, we are shopping for a new one.

2- He can fit into and out of the RV just fine, but going in is a lot easier as he can see the stairs and the grab bar is easier to use on the way in.

3- He cannot fit into the bathroom.

4- He cannot squeeze past the bed or walk into the bedroom.

5- We had to add support to the master bed for ourselves and we are small people. The factory plywood is a bit thin. After a few trips the plywood started to sag. We are not sure if it was from use or the heat, but sag it did. He doesn't fit into the dinette, so we didn't have to worry about the paper thin lauan plywood bench.

6- He uses the common showers and toilet. He can walk pretty far, but not an unlimited distance, so picking a site is of consideration.

7- He bought a folding lawn chair that could accommodate him.

8- Be brings a battery backup for his CPAP machine just in case.

Hope this helps.
2015 Starcraft Launch 24RLS
2014 Ram 2500 diesel 4x4
Guarded by 2 Jack Russells

Jerry_Keller
Explorer
Explorer
I really think those people that said they had step problems should state the RV manufacturer and the step manufacturer.

I've had problems with the Kwikee steps I have on my RV. They were because I didn't wait for them to fully deploy before stepping on them. Otherwise, they have been fine.

Regarding your situation: Go up and down the step several times: do you feel they are secure? In the shower, is there head room? Is there enough room to turn around and wash all over? Get in the shower and pretend to do your shower thing. For the toilet, sit on it. Do you have enough leg room? Do you have enough arm and leg room to do your duty? If you squirm around on the toilet, does it feel like it will collapse?

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.
Jerry Keller

2006 Bounder 35E, W22