cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on use of electric coffee maker in RV

pylotguy1
Explorer
Explorer
Taking my first RV trip in a Class C. Sorting out electrical use items and wanted to see what people recommend for making coffee. I have a small, 5 cup Mr. Coffee but cant seem to find how many amps it pulls. It should be about a 650 watt machine. Any suggestions on whether it would be suitable to use? Thanks for your help
33 REPLIES 33

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bypass the issue and use Taster's Choice House blend. I can make hot water with electric or propane using at least 2 different methods for each. One little container makes 180 cups, and I have a few single serve pouches in case I should run out.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
There are two electric draws on most coffee makers one for the actual making of the coffee and a second for the warming plate to keep the coffee hot. Go with carafe style and do away with the warming plate. click
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this, works great. Just another option.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001K7IDVU/ref=asc_df_B001K7IDVU5196950/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B001K7IDVU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167147331067&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=311082458636633292&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9032299&hvtargid=pla-273224193359

Another option is an AeroPress. Better than French Press to me

westend
Explorer
Explorer
These threads always bring out the best way to make coffee. I'll add my own: Cowboy coffee--Boil water in a small pot (choose your size on the amount of coffee being made) allowing a cup of water to be added. Stop heat source. Pour ground coffee into pot and let steep for a couple of minutes. Stir. Pour in one cup of cold water. The cold water sinks all the grounds to the bottom. Pour coffee from pot.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
On that subject, a French press makes better tasting coffee than any elect coffee maker I've used.
Off to work in the am is still pop one in the keurig, but in the camper we use the press.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Coleman Drip on stove. Make 10 cups. 2 mugs and the rest in a Melita thermos.
Art.

mosseater
Explorer II
Explorer II
352 wrote:
Why not make some real coffee. Buy an old time percolator. Reaaaal good coffee.

I am still making coffee in my Corningware 9 cup percolator. 8 min to start perking and 12 til done. It's an art and has become part of my camping experience. I just love it.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
One time we were boondocking in a tent trailer at a remote campground with only one neighbour. He ran his generator all day to keep the coffee percolator hot. What a racket! If it needs to be kept hot all day a thermos coffee butler would do the job silently and pollution free.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Les than a microwave or AC, about the same as a curling iron. Plug it in and make some coffee.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, boiling water poured over the grounds works great if you don't have electricity . Sometimes you don't always remember right away all the things you can do with electricity.

pylotguy1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your replies. Most helpful. I've done a good bit of camping but not RVing and looking forward to it. Doing an 8 week western road trip as my "early retirement" reward to myself.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a Keurig coffee maker to try that while camping, still heats up but for a shorter time and only when making a cup of coffee.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

docsouce
Explorer II
Explorer II
2x on the Melitta set up. We use the Melitta 6 cup pour over brewer. It takes a couple of minutes longer to brew the coffee but you don't of course need electrical power. Just the propane stove. We do a lot of dry camping and this lets me make coffee early without waking my fellow campers by firing up the generator.
2020 JAYCO 26XD
Just right for the two of us!

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Why not make some real coffee. Buy an old time percolator. Reaaaal good coffee.

Thanks goodness I don't have to drink that boiled, overcooked percolator coffee anymore.:) Admittedly its better than a cheapy drip coffee maker, but give me a good drip cup any day. LOL If I don't have electricity I just open up the top of drip machine and pour boiling water over the grounds.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control